Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is no way we could have went into this season with Jedi, Whelan, Adomah, Hutton etc in the squad and then just adding 4 players like Allardyce said

We would have been a laughing stock come May. This was necessary

Big Sam always talks about Villa well when I've heard him. He also has a lifetime of experience in football. I would tend to think he would not be a million miles off the mark if he thought it was possible to keep those 3/4 players for a year whilst adding proven quality around them. Its exactly what I would have done personally. Its just an opinion, we'll never know how that would have worked out as Villa went a different way, it might prove to be a master stroke. 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is no way we could have went into this season with Jedi, Whelan, Adomah, Hutton etc in the squad and then just adding 4 players like Allardyce said

Not to mention that they were all out of contract anyway and would have been looking for bumper pay deals because they'd have been PL players again. I'd imagine the likes of Guilbert, Nakamba, Trezeguet, Luiz will all be on the same or less wages than we would have needed to keep that lot. 

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Big Sam always talks about Villa well when I've heard him. He also has a lifetime of experience in football. I would tend to think he would not be a million miles off the mark if he thought it was possible to keep those 3/4 players for a year whilst adding proven quality around them. Its exactly what I would have done personally. Its just an opinion, we'll never know how that would have worked out as Villa went a different way, it might prove to be a master stroke. 

I think Big Sam the manager would have thought differently to Big Sam the pundit. As a manager he would have looked properly at the squad and realised it needed major surgery. As a pundit looking for a cheap headline, he’s gone the way of most of them. Quick glance at the situation, over 10 signings, conclusion, too many.

Add to the fact a lot of those players we released are quite well known names and that adds to the, “didn’t need changing”, argument. Except that ignores the fact that those players made their names in the past and are no longer capable of performing at a higher level. 

Plus I doubt very much that Sam or any manager would turn down the chance to sign over £100m worth of players in a transfer window. “Nah Wes you’re alright, we’ve got enough with Albert, Glen and the Scottish Cafu. You get yourself a new Lear Jet lad.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I personally believe our approach this summer is less of a risk than the alternative was of retaining the core of the released players and adding to it with 4-5 players to it.. 

we have brought players with potential to grow and improve. Konsa is raw but has masses of potential. Targett is a solid LB, Jota was a no brainier. Trezeguet has all the attributes with the right coaching to be an exciting attacking player. Guilbert is an upgrade. Wesley and Douglas an unknown quantity but obviously well scouted and researched. Mings is mings. Engels is one Smith has had an eye on for a while. Nakamba is mobile and is an upgrade on whelan and jedinak. Heaton is great keeper. We have been sensible getting them in early and haven’t been extravagant as such. If you believe the tweet yesterday we have spent closer to £110 million than the clickbait headlines. And I still think we have a couple more to go. Happy times ! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well said. Allardyce's advice is a bit like a homeless telling me what roof tiles to get. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Hasn't they all pretty much retired or not been able to find a new club after leaving here?

Adomah at Forest

Says it all really.

• Like 2

Brighton about to spend £22m on Webster from Bristol...… Crazy days.

Living just outside Bristol I know plenty of their fans & not one if them is concerned with loosing him for that money, they all believe he isn't worth that so take the money & get another uncovered gem in.....

Make some of our buys look like bargains.

£22m for a championship defender who had 1 good season in a team that finished outside the top 6 !!!! Crazy I tell ya, just crazy

1 hour ago, Genie said:

To be honest I really didn't think it was such an "out-there" opinion. Its something that I have seen a lot when stepping out of the Villa bubble. There are a lot of football pundits,  journalists etc making similar noises that Villa have gone "all in" and taken a big risk here. I just quickly grabbed a couple of stories, more on the links. But this is the essence of where I am at. I'm not here to tell anybody they are wrong, or stupid, or idiotic (like the posts aimed at me). These stories below were also before the recent few signings, and anything else there is to come.

If the collective VT opinion is that this is the right thing to do, and not actually risky, or low risk then that's fine with me. Each to their own.

Link

Link

Link

I don't think your sources really help your case.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Haha, I absolutely knew 1000% that would be the response 😂 3 ex pro's, 1 ex Villa, 1 incredibly experienced club manager, nah, don't know what they're on about.

I genuinely don't know why people on here are so defensive of the current situation. I've just shared a view, that others have too, and I'm getting hounded for it.

There are major parallels with Fulham so its an inconvenient truth that people will make comparisons.

I am excited about the new season, not doubt about it.  However I would be lying if I didn't admit I was slightly nervous about how all of the new signing would gel and how long that would take.  We had no choice though, signings had to be made and lots of them!  Lets hope for the best!  I'll be happy to finish above 18th place this season!

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I must have must understood what the point of a mid season transfer window was for. Keep up the bullying and hounding though.

I didn't even quote you. You were just the latest in a line to use what I consider uninformed arguments I'm bored of hearing and make no sense. Bullying? Please...

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nobody's saying it isn't risky. Of course it's risky. What we are saying is that it's LESS risky than the proposed alternative. 

This all day. 

Any approach would have its risks but this is clearly the smart approach. 

I mean seriously, imagine if we'd given new deals to hutton, whelan and jedinak. As Zatman said, we'd have been laughed at. 

Forget doing a fulham, it would have been doing a villa from 3 years ago

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But his opinion is that the approach he's suggested is the one that's less risky and makes more sense.

Again I don't agree, but I don't really see why everyone has jumped down his throat so much.

Because its so clearly wrong. 

If my opinion was that hourihane should be our lone striker this season, i'd be jumped on because although it is my opinion its just a ridiculous one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Because its so clearly wrong. 

I am still staggered at how closed your mind is. That there is more than 1 way to do something. That someone has a different view. We haven't even kicked a ball in the premier league yet but you're completely closed to the fact that we've pulled off a series of master strokes. Open your mind to other possibilities. 

You're selling your opinions as facts.

You're labeling differing opinions as stupidity.