Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

23 minutes ago, romavillan said:

We're making a few waves it seems....

https://www.ilposticipo.it/calcio/altro-che-manchester-city-la-squadra-che-spende-di-piu-in-premier-league-e-una-neopromossa/?intcmp=gazzanet-aston-villa&refresh_ce-cp

"Forget Man City, the biggest spending team in the Premier League is newly promoted..."

Goes on to say we've been reborn since going down and coming back up showing a lot of ambition could the next step for a reinvigorated Aston Villa be a european spot?

I won't transate it all, but it's something I missed a couple of weeks back, thought it was interesting!

Its like proper non British tabloid journalists dont use the same lazy quotes. Not one mention of Fulham in that piece

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Bullying? Give over. It's just that multiple people found some of your comments somewhat baffling and gave you reasons as to why. If you post something that goes against the grain then people are going to respond. The fact that many people have responded just suggests how against the grain your view is. It doesn't mean bullying. 

To be honest I really didn't think it was such an "out-there" opinion. Its something that I have seen a lot when stepping out of the Villa bubble. There are a lot of football pundits,  journalists etc making similar noises that Villa have gone "all in" and taken a big risk here. I just quickly grabbed a couple of stories, more on the links. But this is the essence of where I am at. I'm not here to tell anybody they are wrong, or stupid, or idiotic (like the posts aimed at me). These stories below were also before the recent few signings, and anything else there is to come.

If the collective VT opinion is that this is the right thing to do, and not actually risky, or low risk then that's fine with me. Each to their own.

Former Aston Villa striker Stan Collymore has had his say on the club's busy summer - and admits it's a risk.

Pundit and huge Villa fan Collymore revealed he's a little wary about the huge influx of new stars as Villa today announced the signing of Douglas Luiz from Manchester City.

Link

According to the Telegraph, Aston Villa are closing in on a deal to sign Club Brugge midfielder Marvelous Nakamba. The arrival of the Zimbabwean will mark the Villans’ eleventh signing of the summer so far. The transfer will also take the club’s spending to near the £120 million mark.

These are undoubtedly exciting days for the Villa Park faithful. Having achieved promotion from the Championship last season, manager Dean Smith has thrown himself into rebuilding and strengthening his squad ahead of the their maiden Premier League campaign. 

However, the Villa boss is currently playing a dangerous game. His squad certainly needed strengthening in key areas this summer. However, such a drastic overhaul can have a damaging effect. It takes time for new players to settle in at a club and gel with the rest of the squad. With so many new arrivals this summer, the dressing room will feel like alien territory for everyone at the start of this season. This can lead to a lack of cohesion on the pitch. 

Link

It feels as if the transfer window is still only just kicking into action. However, not for Aston Villa. The confirmation of Ezri Konsa’s arrival from Brentford as their seventh summer signing takes their summer spending tally to over £70 million. It is a big risk; one that could repeat recent history, and one that could come back to bite them.

Link

Not one of these pundits are actually credible. Sam Allardyce, Stan Collymore, Danny Mills etc. 

Of course their is risk involved but these pundits just say the same crap and offer no actual analysis except the lazy doing a Fulham or no Premier League experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not one of these pundits are actually credible. Sam Allardyce, Stan Collymore, Danny Mills etc. 

Of course their is risk involved but these pundits just say the same crap and offer no actual analysis except the lazy doing a Fulham or no Premier League experience. 

Haha, I absolutely knew 1000% that would be the response 😂 3 ex pro's, 1 ex Villa, 1 incredibly experienced club manager, nah, don't know what they're on about.

I genuinely don't know why people on here are so defensive of the current situation. I've just shared a view, that others have too, and I'm getting hounded for it.

There are major parallels with Fulham so its an inconvenient truth that people will make comparisons.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The owners have said they want to win every game,  if they ask the football expert (manager) "What do we need to compete (Not survive) ?

If the blend of players vs already here players is right with clever additions (Eg buy players who know each other) then we are on our way.

I wouldn't change anything in this window,  IMO this is football genius in action and we are a part of it.  Honestly,  even as a neutral I would be very worried about playing at a full Villa Park with our squad next season.

I think we will be on in the 1st few games on MOTD more than people think.  Look how far we have come in a few years.  This is late 70's / early 80's again lads. 😀.  If only we had a local lad playing like then ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

To be honest I really didn't think it was such an "out-there" opinion. Its something that I have seen a lot when stepping out of the Villa bubble. There are a lot of football pundits,  journalists etc making similar noises that Villa have gone "all in" and taken a big risk here. I just quickly grabbed a couple of stories, more on the links. But this is the essence of where I am at. I'm not here to tell anybody they are wrong, or stupid, or idiotic (like the posts aimed at me). These stories below were also before the recent few signings, and anything else there is to come.

If the collective VT opinion is that this is the right thing to do, and not actually risky, or low risk then that's fine with me. Each to their own.

Link

Link

Link

I think a lot of people agree it's a risk my friend. Signing 5 or 6 would be a risk, signing anyone is a risk. After letting 14 go, not having a busy summer would have been suicidal.

As an alternative to suicide taking a calculated risk on young players with tons of potential and potential future market value is perfectly fine. Smith is used to working with a high turnover. It could all go tits up, I don't think it will but we'll all have to wait and see. For the first time in a very, very long time we are going about things the right way, we have a good coach and he is supported well off the field. We have a plan, a way of playing, a plan off the field and on it. There's so much good about the club right now, our goal has to be 40+ points, there is nothing about our preparations so far that makes me think that's out of our reach. 

• Like 1

I think that, as good as this summer window is, each one of us would prefer not to have a summer like that again. I would much rather buy 3 players at £30mil.

What some pundits and people fail to understand, is that most likely Dean Smith and the board did not wish to bring in 10-12 players this summer.

It was the necessary evil, as we only had 17 senior players at the start of the window. 

I think that everyone of us realises it's a major risk to bring in so many players and that should that team fail to gel, we might be in trouble. Having said that, we have not 'done a Fulham'. The players were brought in early so that they can adapt, train, and have a solid pre season in the Claret and Blue shirt. Should we fail to stay up, we can sell some of these players, most likely at a profit. At the same time, if we do go down many will likely stay with us considering they are young and unproven.

Should we stay up, their value will only go up and up.

Was it a risk? Yes? Did it have to be done? Yes. Was it done well? As well as any one of us could have hoped for at the start of the window.

I think that the discussion of ''was it the right thing to do' to bring in some many players?' is totally missing the point.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Considering we’ve signed on average about 1.9 players per week this window, one should chill out and get on the happy bus IMHO 

Agreed. Let me know when the happy bus arrives here. 

I wrote a much more thought provoking negative slant on our summer dealings yesterday...

' Casual observers will probably see our transfers and see that we've signed a defender who can't get in the Bournemouth team, another who can't get in the Wolves' team or squad, and then another defender from Brentford that is still seen as a rookie, a right-back who they probably haven't heard of and who's last team was relegated, a left-back that quite a few Southampton fans don't rate, a midfielder with no experience of the Premier league, and wasn't always a regular starter for Girona, a winger that Lille didn't want, another that has come from a mid-table turkish league club, a striker who only scored ten goals in the Belgium league, a player signed from Small Heath. Of course it's not as simple as all that, but it's the kind of thing that anyone not following the situation closely will think, alongside things like 'Championship players', 'too many signings', 'no Premier league experience', and so on.'

As we can see from that, it's not the amount of signings we make, or how many players we let go that might cause our downfall, it's more to do with whether the players we've signed are good enough or not.

• Like 1

So much talk in here last night on how the overhaul is a risk and should have been phased over multiple transfer windows.

Realistically we haven't changed a huge amount from Wembley.

Steer

Elmo  Tuanzebe  Mings  Taylor

Hourihane

McGinn       Grealish

Adomah    Abraham   El Ghazi

The highlighted players will most likely miss out on the first game of the season, yet 3 of the 6 are still in the squad.

Heaton 

Elmo   Engels   Mings   Targett

Nakamba

McGinn            Grealish

Jota       Wesley      El Ghazi

It's not a huge change, and other clubs will have similar changes to their first team going into the new season.

The difference we have is squad depth and the players fighting for first team spots are largely different to last season; but in a good way.

There was no point keeping players like Elphick, Whelan, Jedinak & Adomah if they don't fit into what Smith wants from them. Even if the new players start off slowly they are likely to still do a similar job to those we have let go.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Haha, I absolutely knew 1000% that would be the response 😂 3 ex pro's, 1 ex Villa, 1 incredibly experienced club manager, nah, don't know what they're on about.

I genuinely don't know why people on here are so defensive of the current situation. I've just shared a view, that others have too, and I'm getting hounded for it.

There are major parallels with Fulham so its an inconvenient truth that people will make comparisons.

Ok, to put this into perspective. I’m not sure why you’re so heavily using Fulham as the piece for your argument. Only 5 newly promoted teams have ever spent over £50 million in their opening season. Of those 5, Fulham are the only one to have been relegated. Whilst it could be said that what we’ve done is similar to Fulham, it’s also similar to the other 4 that did exactly the same and survived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

Ok, to put this into perspective. I’m not sure why you’re so heavily using Fulham as the piece for your argument. Only 5 newly promoted teams have ever spent over £50 million in their opening season. Of those 5, Fulham are the only one to have been relegated. Whilst it could be said that what we’ve done is similar to Fulham, it’s also similar to the other 4 that did exactly the same and survived.

I'm pretty sure that is the 1 and only time I mentioned the F word, and that was in reply to the post which mentioned it.

Nobody knows if we're going to go the same way until we've got 15/20 PL games under our belts. Fulham bought all those players, like Villa, because they thought they'd be good enough. We can't make that conclusion until we've played a fair amount of games.

Edited by Genie

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think there's anyone that disagrees that it's a risk. Nobody's saying that all the signings are going to hit the ground running.

But he's saying that it's much more of a risk than keeping the players we released, and we were better off doing that and only adding a handful. 

Look at the table posted earlier. The only player from that list you can't say for certain we haven't improved on is Tammy Abraham and possibly Tuanzebe. The rest are massive upgrades. 

So where's the added risk? If anything, we mitigated as much risk as we could and gave ourselves the best possible chance to succeed.

I agree. I think this is less risky the way we've done it.

Again, I don't agree with Genie, but I don't see why so many people are so totally baffled as to why he has the opinion he has.

It's quite understandable imo even though I don't share it

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But your final point is why people are struggling. 

It's quite clearly less of a risk than giving contracts to hutton, whelan and jedinak and hoping they can perform at this level. 

When there is no real alternative approach it seems strange to criticise the one that makes the most sense and carries the least amount of risk.

But his opinion is that the approach he's suggested is the one that's less risky and makes more sense.

Again I don't agree, but I don't really see why everyone has jumped down his throat so much.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

They obviously won't accept it, but I've wondered about our DMC position. It seems we are trying to have 2 players competing for each position. While we have been talking about a striker and a right winger missing, I also think that means we are lacking a DMC. The way I see it Marvelous will compete with McGinn. Grealish will get rotated with Hourihane, but that leaves Luiz alone assuming the work permit gets fixed. Seems there's a small chance we might be looking at another DMC. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I'm pretty sure that is the 1 and only time I mentioned the F word, and that was in reply to the post which mentioned it.

Ok. But your point about us bringing in so many players being risky, all 5 of those teams spending over £50 million brought in 8 players or more during their first season. Like I say, 4 of those 5 survived, along with many others who didn’t spend quite as much. Some teams have indeed brought in a lot of players and failed, but a lot of them had a low net spend, meaning they brought in a lot of cheap players. I’m not saying spending more is guaranteed to be better than bringing in players on the cheap, but it usually is.

• Like 1

I understand the concerns but at the same time don't see what else we could have done, the squad we had last year wasn't good enough

Marv and Luiz are a risk but they are less of a risk than whelan and jedinak 

As for the media... The problem with the media is there is a market for going against the grain and being negative, it generates debate which in turn generates revenue and the shittest thing about it is going against the grain is easy, they just throw out a cliche or a token comment about it, its easier to say Luiz is a Brazilian kid with no experience in the worlds greatest football league and people believe it than it is to start talking about watching him in la liga last season, or toulon (which I guarantee you fat Sam, collymore a Mills didn't do) and talking about what to could do for us, no doubt there are some very good pieces that do negatively assess what we've done but the 3 examples given are from pundits no one should respect 

Edited by villa4europe