Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

It was only last week that I was starting to get a little worried with our lack of signings just because we needed so many. Fair to say I'm not worrying anymore, we've gone into overdrive this week. 

I reckon Deano was being all cautious and a bit pessimistic, like a proper Villa fan.

Now he's in America, Suso, Purslow and the owners have got pissed and gone crazy - bit like a rapper in a strip club.

3 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Anyone else hoping that if we were to ever sign Sessegnon we’d be playing him on the right? I’m hoping for the next Gareth Bale 😎

Not really. 

It's a bit like signing Messi and wondering where we'd play him. I'd be too busy wanking myself unconscious to care!

• Haha 2

Am I right in thinking every non-English signing we've made (or are strongly linked to make) already speaks/understands English?

• El Ghazi speaks English very well as we know.
  • We saw Guilbert has been working on improving his English since January.
  • Wesley understands it (seen from some of the media videos when he was in Brugge) but probably not confident enough to speak it on video just yet.
  • Douglas Luiz, probably the one I'm mostly guessing, as he was signed two years ago by City and has been on loan since, has probably been doing some degree of English study?
  • Trezeguet speaks English (seen in videos from when he was at Anderlecht)
  • Engels' wife is English, safe to say he knows some - also English is an optional language in Belgian education (*pretty sure on this).

Also have some language/international partnerships:

• Wesley and Douglas Luiz
  • Elmohamady and Treqeguet
  • Guilbert, Engels and Kodjia (all speak French)

I'm filling in/guessing a few gaps here obviously, but I wonder if they were conscious of potential language barriers, people settling in, being a problem with so many players being brought in and have tried to reduce any such issue as much as possible?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

Am I right in thinking every non-English signing we've made (or are strongly linked to make) already speaks/understands English?

• El Ghazi speaks English very well as we know.
  • We saw Guilbert has been working on improving his English since January.
  • Wesley understands it (seen from some of the media videos when he was in Brugge) but probably not confident enough to speak it on video just yet.
  • Douglas Luiz, probably the one I'm mostly guessing, as he was signed two years ago by City and has been on loan since, has probably been doing some degree of English study?
  • Trezeguet speaks English (seen in videos from when he was at Anderlecht)
  • Engels' wife is English, safe to say he knows some - also English is an optional language in Belgian education (*pretty sure on this).

Also have some language/international partnerships:

• Wesley and Douglas Luiz
  • Elmohamady and Treqeguet
  • Guilbert, Engels and Kodjia (all speak French)

I'm filling in/guessing a few gaps here obviously, but I wonder if they were conscious of potential language barriers, people settling in, being a problem with so many players being brought in and have tried to reduce any such issue as much as possible?

What about Jack? His English is **** terrible.

Same with McGinn. Can't understand a word.

• Haha 4

I’ve been surprised and delighted with how active we’ve been in the transfer market and our activity has already exceeded my expectations, However I feel that talk of having a top 10 side is hugely over optimistic

We may well (and probably will) sign two or three more but as we stand is our first XI markedly better than last season? 

Where are we better? Given the choice (knowing what I know at the moment) I would prefer Tuanzebe and Abraham to Konsa and Wesley so those moves arguably make us very slightly weaker. Jota may be a very small upgrade on Adomah/Green but that’s marginal. At fullback I would expect us to be stronger with Guibert/Targett having more potential than Elmo/Taylor but they will need to hit the ground running

Obviously certain players could play out of there skins and we could be world better. Wesley could turn out to be an absolute monster and rip PL defences apart BUT my feeling at the moment is that as we start we are not greatly improved (if at all)

I cant believe I’m asking for this given the incredible spend so far but I think we still need (in order)

DCM - Luiz or Phillips

RW/backup Striker - Muapay and/or Trezugaut

Keeper - Heaton or similar

If we can find the money for 3/4 more then I think we can make a really good go at consolidating our PL standing

What do you think - am I too harsh given the huge spend already??

43 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

LW: El-Ghazi / Sessegnon

RW: Benrahma / Jota

That would be absolutely unreal 🤩

That would be insane depth.

Although I would view it more like this

LW: El ghazi/SESSEGNON (SS) 

RW:Benrahma/sessegnon

Lb:Targett/Sessegnon

I would like us to sign maupay as well. This would allow us to give players time off every few games

WESLEY/MP

EG/SS.    JG/JOTA    BENRAHMA/SS/MP

SJM/JG           LUIZ/CH

MT/SS. Mings.     Konsa.    Guilbert

Steer

Jota would play when Grealish or mcginn are out and play as a super sub to give us some extra creativity. We would also have elmo, Hause and Jimmy Danger

Likely Bench: GK, SS, Jota, Hause, Elmo, Kodjia, Maupay.

Maybe replace Jota or Kodjia with Hourihane. Would give us an excellent squad of 20 ish players who could all be starting

8 minutes ago, Wes said:

I wonder when Belgian will be an optional language in their educational system?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, we now have two Egyptians and two Brazilians. I think we should get another Jock to help McGinn with the language barrier...  

Shame we missed out on Hastie & Turnbull on that front.

I wonder if Andy Robertson fancies a new challenge?  🤔  :lol:

Just last night we were taking the piss out of that ITK on Twitter for his post with players being done, especially Luiz.

Wake up and learn it is actually done.

Wtf is going on?

Spend ALLLLLL the monies!!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wes said:

I would hope this would always be the case to be honest.

Believe Luiz is happening because Spurs have come in for Phillips. 🤔 

I like the business we're doing and I like that were getting it done early so we can bed the team in. Couple more and hopefully we'll have a strong enough team to stay up and push on. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just last night we were taking the piss out of that ITK on Twitter for his post with players being done, especially Luiz.

Wake up and learn it is actually done.

Wtf is going on?

Spend ALLLLLL the monies!!!!

DisloyalWiltedArmednylonshrimp-small.gif

• Haha 4