Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If these 2 signings get over the line which looks a formality at this point, and if the season started right now our team would look like this:

Steer
Guilbert     Konsa       Mings     Targett
                           Luiz
          McGinn              Grealish
Trezeguet                               El Ghazi
                         Wesley

Subs: Kalinic, Hause, Engels, Hourihane, Jota, Kodjia, Elmohamady

Not bad at all. Incredible that we've managed to rebuild this team to this extent before our first preseason game. Now all that's left is a couple of tweaks (for example a new GK, and maybe another winger) and we're flying. Excellent work from Dean and the team. This feels like summer 2015 when we signed all the Jordans again, except this time we have a plan. Also we don't have Tim Sherwood spearheading the rebuild which is a nice bonus.

Think Engels starts but agree with your post. Hard to argue with the starting 11.

I'm nervous about RB with Guilbert but that's mostly as I've never seen him play and with the timing of his transfer it's hard to tell who signed him and what league they were planning for with him. Similar reservations with Wesley but atleast there we know they've backed him for this league and as our records signing. So you'd imagine they are confident in him

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If these 2 signings get over the line which looks a formality at this point, and if the season started right now our team would look like this:

Steer
                           Luiz
                         Wesley

Not bad at all. Incredible that we've managed to rebuild this team to this extent before our first preseason game. Now all that's left is a couple of tweaks (for example a new GK, and maybe another winger) and we're flying. Excellent work from Dean and the team. This feels like summer 2015 when we signed all the Jordans again, except this time we have a plan. Also we don't have Tim Sherwood spearheading the rebuild which is a nice bonus. 

I'm all for the excitement of new signings, but let's wait to see how they play before taking part in a full on villa wankathon! Question marks over the ability of about half the team to be able to cut it in the Premier league at this stage. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm all for the excitement of new signings, but let's wait to see how they play before taking part in a full on villa wankathon! Question marks over the ability of about half the team to be able to cut it in the Premier league at this stage. 

That's true of any signing you can make though. If that was the case, the only time you could be excited is if you signed a team of players from PL teams, in which case they're likely to be castoffs and not much to be excited about anyway.

13 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It’s true. The last time I was this excited was the summer before we got relegated. 

It does feel different this time though.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

This window has just gone up a gear, it’s clear we’ll have a capable squad, just need to get some games in them. To think we’ve got jack and McGinn already, this is going to be an immense midfield, easily midtable, possibly one better. 

11 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This window has just gone up a gear, it’s clear we’ll have a capable squad, just need to get some games in them. To think we’ve got jack and McGinn already, this is going to be an immense midfield, easily midtable, possibly one better. 

Let's not get ahead of ourselves

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Steer
                           Luiz
                         Wesley

That looks really good.......

Personally i wouldnt be so quick to not have Jota over Hassan, but yeah, who knows.

The only thing we are probably missing in there is a new GK, but overall, if we can get Luiz & Engels confirmed tonight, i am really happy with that team.

Even if we do go down....its gonna be a wild ride lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

.............an immense midfield, easily midtable, possibly one better............

I think there is a danger of getting carried away. I’m very pleased with the signings but as we stand I don’t see us as markedly better than last season. 

Mings, Konsa, Jota and Wesley on paper are no better than Mings, Tuanzebe, Adomah and  Abraham for me. There is potential for improvement at fullbacks and if Luiz joins and lives up to expectation we will be decent in midfield (but not in my opinion “immense”)

To give me real confidence I’d like to be greedy and see Trezuguat/Beharama(?), Maupay and a new keeper and even then my expectation would be only extend to top of the bottom half of the table

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Sessegnon is one of the most overrated prospects in the entire country.  No thanks from me.  Would cost a fortune and will disappoint.

Absolutely great prospect. He ripped the Championship up and now has a seasons experience in the Premier League. He will end up at a bigger club currently than we are at this point during the summer. He is going to go far under the right guidance. I’d love him at Villa.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We went with the young and hungry approach under Lambert as well.

I hope this bunch are better players.

Careful not to pull a muscle with that reach. Under Lambert we went for young and hungry 1/2m Championship/League 1/2 unknowns, not highly rated and expensive youngesters from various top flights. For example:

Lowton vs Guilbert

Bennett vs Targett

Westwood vs Ruiz

Bowery vs ...I don't even know, wtf was that?

Benteke vs Wesley (I'll grant you, this is the only comparable one)

• Like 4

Our fans have been getting excited every transfer window since and including the one where we signed all those French based players. The one where people were probably the least optimistic about was probably this January just gone, and ironically it was after the window that we finally turned things around, which I guess reflects very well on Pitarch. I thought we might have signed a few youngsters for our u23 side, being as thoug we let so many go.