Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This was my initial reaction to the Cahill rumours, but I literally put that down to his age. That’s it.

When you consider his experience, all the things he’s won in the game and that he may be tempted with ‘reasonable’ wages due to his age, he seems like a decent option.

It’s not the best approach to only sign players that are young with minimal/zero premier league experience. Having the odd senior pro will serve us well, as it did having Whelan and Jedinak for the last few seasons.

I see your point but i just disagree.

Axel and Mings played so well together partly because they were both good on the ball and good defenders, but critically because they are both quite fast, mobile and agile, which allowed them both to push further up the pitch as both are capable of recovery.

If you had Cahill the back line would need to play much much deeper to accommodate the fact that Cahill doesn't have the speed and agility to recover now, which then impacts on how the entire team sets up.

I'm not anti older players or experience, but I do think whoever we sign still needs to have the physical attributes to play in the attacking style that Dean wants to, and having am old and slow CB regardless of experience I don't think would be good for us.

If they are 31 and still habe the physical attributes then fine, but Cahill doesn't imo for how we probably want to play (ie full back pushing up, centre back pushing up and wider so the DM drops deeper).

Just.my opinion.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I see your point but i just disagree.

Axel and Mings played so well together partly because they were both good on the ball and good defenders, but critically because they are both quite fast, mobile and agile, which allowed them both to push further up the pitch as both are capable of recovery.

If you had Cahill the back line would need to play much much dapper to accommodate the fact that Cahill doesn't have the speed and agility to recover now, which then impacts on how the entire team sets up.

I'm not anti older players or experience, but I do think whoever we sign still needs to have the physical attributes to play in the attacking style that Dean wants to, and having am old and slow CB regardless of experience I don't think would be good for us.

If they are 31 and still habe the physical attributes then fine, but Cahill doesn't imo for how we probably want to play (ie full back pushing up, centre back pushing up and wider so the DM drops deeper).

Just.my opinion.

Not all about looks you know.

Bit shallow IMO.

• Haha 2

So currently, if the latest two get over the line, we look like this:

GK: Steer, Kalinic, Nyland, Sarkic

RB: Guilbert, Elmo, Bree

LB: Taylor

CB: Chester, Hause

RM: Jota, O-Hare

LM: El Ghazi, Green

CM: Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury, Bjarnasson, Tshibola, Doyle-Hayes

ST: Kodjia, Hogan, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy

This leaves us with attempts for Tuanzebe, Abraham and Mings to finish off the loan signings. Personally only think we will get Mings.

A lot of work to be done, especially in defence.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah you are right Cahill is probably fast and agile on the inside :)

The best defender we ever had had knees made of cornflakes. Experience and anticipation > youth and speed sometimes. If your centre halves covers all 4. Aces.

• Like 1

Just now, Mazrim said:

The best defender we ever had had knees made of cornflakes. Experience and anticipation > youth and speed sometimes. If your centre halves covers all 4. Aces.

Yes but the game is quite different now.

Not taking away from McGrath etc as they are true greats, but the game is different now and we should look to the future, not keep comparing to the past.

• Like 1

Would anyone take Callum Robinson back?

I think he's performed much better than Lolley and Bowen at Championship level, and already has Premier League interest. I do worry about his injury problems last year though.

Would work well with Grealish again...

Although not totally sure he'd transition as well to the Premier League as Bowen would, and would be frustrating to spend 10m or so on a player we released years ago on a free transfer.

• Confused 1

Just now, VillaAlex said:

I think he's performed much better than Lolley and Bowen at Championship level, and already has Premier League interest. I do worry about his injury problems last year though.

Although not totally sure he'd transition as well to the Premier League as Bowen would, and would be frustrating to spend 10m or so on a player we released years ago on a free transfer.

Nah, not good enough.  Pleased he's doing well at Preston though.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaAlex said:

My mate who's a Preston season ticket holder says he's unrecognisable from when he first joined. Ten times the player coming in off the left wing now.

I think Bournemouth were very interested in January.

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

https://medium.com/@pannasandnutmegs/profiling-ball-playing-centre-backs-in-the-championship-820f5e7862e1

Everyone complaining about how Tomori isn't good enough is just spouting nonsense...  Great analysis of him and other Championship CBs here.  Very similar to Axel:

1*dL8dWBe8EvfQ5vUh7m5fyQ.png

My question is... is being good in the championship going to be enough in the premiership? 

Granted I like what I saw of Tomori, but there is probably a reason the lower end of the premier league clubs aren’t loaning these players...?

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

My question is... is being good in the championship going to be enough in the premiership? 

Granted I like what I saw of Tomori, but there is probably a reason the lower end of the premier league clubs aren’t loaning these players...?

150 million a year or so for simply staying in the league is probably the reason most of the lower clubs are not prepared to risk throwing anyone young/inexperienced in. Why take a chance when you can just put aq 30 year old clogger in and know that it will more than likely be enough to survive. You are not really significantly any better off finishing 8th or 16th so why take a chance on going down when solid & stable will more than likely be enough

47 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yes but the game is quite different now.

Not taking away from McGrath etc as they are true greats, but the game is different now and we should look to the future, not keep comparing to the past.

The future isnt a load of relative kids in defence either. 

24 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

150 million a year or so for simply staying in the league is probably the reason most of the lower clubs are not prepared to risk throwing anyone young/inexperienced in. Why take a chance when you can just put aq 30 year old clogger in and know that it will more than likely be enough to survive. You are not really significantly any better off finishing 8th or 16th so why take a chance on going down when solid & stable will more than likely be enough

The prize money for finishing 8th was £24.7m, finishing 16th was worth £9.5m. So the difference is the the three players we’ve just signed in Jota, Hause, & ElGhazi. It’s significant. Everton finished in 8th with a combined income from TV/Prize money of £125.3m, Southampton finished 16th with a combined income from TV/prize money of £101.2m. In short, the better you are and the higher you finish is worth a lot of money. The difference is nearly £25m between finishing 8th as opposed to 16th. That’s equivalent to having 5 players on £100k per week. Which is a big deal. 

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

The prize money for finishing 8th was £24.7m, finishing 16th was worth £9.5m. So the difference is the the three players we’ve just signed in Jota, Hause, & ElGhazi. It’s significant. Everton finished in 8th with a combined income from TV/Prize money of £125.3m, Southampton finished 16th with a combined income from TV/prize money of £101.2m. In short, the better you are and the higher you finish is worth a lot of money. The difference is nearly £25m between finishing 8th as opposed to 16th. That’s equivalent to having 5 players on £100k per week. Which is a big deal. 

I'd assume the commercial deals and players you can attract is also difference if you finish 8th instead of 16th too.

• Like 1