Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Tomori would be a good signing but at the same time I'd be concerned if we went into next season with him as a starting CB. He's not the most directly comparable player to Tuanzebe but he'd be a downgrade all the same, and at a higher level at that.

Harsh to judge him on one game but considering some are saying he pocketed Tammy in the final (which I don't particularly agree with anyway), at the same time he did get massively dragged out of position for our opener and left the space for El Ghazi to run into. Anyone that's seen him more can tell me otherwise but he seems to rely a lot on recovery pace to make up for his positioning much of the time, he'll obviously iron this stuff out in time and be a quality player but it'd be a bit of a baptism of fire to chuck him in straight away I think.

Apparently that French guy who turned us down because of Bruceball has moved to Saint Etienne on a free transfer.

Harold Moukoudi. He didn't play for the second half of the season for contract reasons.

Be interesting to see how he turns out, Saint Etienne are pretty good at developing players.

• Like 2

Linked to a RB from Antwerp called Daniel Opare along with Norwich

Has a £500.000 buy out clause apparently.

28 and not a regular for Ghana, can't see this one being true. By all accounts he's also a bit shit.

Agent shopping most likely.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Visiting Ram said:

Well he got our player of the season and we don’t give it out lightly and yes you can forget wilson and his 18 goals or Mount  - Keogh was 2nd - Tomori isn’t great at corners but he is the fastest defender I have seen in a very long time and he plays football - we have our own intentions to get him back if we can - just a word on Keogh, we have had him 8 years and he plays every game because he has been excellent 

Nonsense - he is PL quality and he is a CB and you are going to need very quick ones - in the premiership £12 million is cheap  

Thanks. 

On Keogh (though this is way off topic) I can see why you rate him. The raw ability has always been there. Also from the outside looking in I see a defender who, much like his hairline, often doesn't know whether he's coming or going. He's like that meme - "sometimes a-good sometimes a-shit".

Agree with every word on Tamori.

2 hours ago, Visiting Ram said:

Well he got our player of the season and we don’t give it out lightly and yes you can forget wilson and his 18 goals or Mount  - Keogh was 2nd - Tomori isn’t great at corners but he is the fastest defender I have seen in a very long time and he plays football - we have our own intentions to get him back if we can - just a word on Keogh, we have had him 8 years and he plays every game because he has been excellent 

Nonsense - he is PL quality and he is a CB and you are going to need very quick ones - in the premiership £12 million is cheap  

This is VillaTalk mate, we are not happy if we aren't suggesting obvious CBs should be playing DM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mole86 said:

I wouldn't agree with the bolded statement based on what I saw of Tomori this season. Tuanzebe was great for us but he is really really poor in the air, if he improves that aspect of his game he would be amazing but it's a serious weakness currently.

Tuanzebe is not the finished article but is much better in the air than Tomori. Tuanzebe will end up as a PL CB, Tomori will be a FB or DCM. We’ll have to agree to disagree

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Tuanzebe is not the finished article but is much better in the air than Tomori. Tuanzebe will end up as a PL CB, Tomori will be a FB or DCM. We’ll have to agree to disagree

Tuanzebe isn’t better in the air than Tomori, if Tuanzebe was good in the air, he’d be in Man Utd’s first team 

• Like 2

Etheridge?

Guilbert    Mings    CB     Hause

McGinn           DM

Jota             Grealish             El Ghazi

FW

Would be an interesting line up, need to strengthen further obviously though.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’d want the DM to be a brute as well. Do worry that we may get overrun against bigger/stronger teams through the middle.

Mcginn is a terrier so he should be fine, if we also buy a solid DM who can also handle himself as well as play some football in sure we will be fine in that department.

But I do think the DM we buy is critically important and will tell us just how robust our central midfield will be.

Edited by MaVilla

Do hope we add some real quality to a few places. This essentially was a great championship team but the step up is huge.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

Etheridge, Guilbert, Mings, Cahill, Justin, Rongier,  McGinn, Grealish (c), Bowen, Abraham, El Ghazi, Steer, Hause, Tomori, Aribo, Hourihane, Jota, Isak.

Probably nothing like that, with more foreign players Ive never heard of who turn out to be ace.

Edited by Mazrim

Just now, Mazrim said:

Etheridge, Guilbert, Mings, Cahill, Justin, Rongier,  McGinn, Grealish (c), Bowen, Abraham, El Ghazi, Steer, Hause, Tomori, Aribo, Hourihane, Jota, Isak.

No to cahill please, just no no no no.

Still a lot of work to be done for me in my opinion but we have enough time, ideally we get them all in early. Have to agree that Hause and Jota are squad players if they do well fair enough but we do need much better quality starting for us.

16 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Tuanzebe isn’t better in the air than Tomori, if Tuanzebe was good in the air, he’d be in Man Utd’s first team 

Neither Tuanzebe nor Tomori are “good” in the air but in my opinion Tuanzebe is better - even if he was excellent in the air I believe he is still a way away from MUs first team.

I also don’t think Tomori will make it as a PL CB and will end up as a FB or DCM. Just opinions -  Time will tell

• Like 1

Yes yes yes yes.

He's free. We need 3 more cbs so this will allow money to get better younger players too. He's free. Knows the game inside out. Will lead by example a la Terry. Free. 

Also, he's free.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

No to cahill please, just no no no no.

This was my initial reaction to the Cahill rumours, but I literally put that down to his age. That’s it.

When you consider his experience, all the things he’s won in the game and that he may be tempted with ‘reasonable’ wages due to his age, he seems like a decent option.

It’s not the best approach to only sign players that are young with minimal/zero premier league experience. Having the odd senior pro will serve us well, as it did having Whelan and Jedinak for the last few seasons.

• Like 2

Just now, Rob182 said:

This was my initial reaction to the Cahill rumours, but I literally put that down to his age. That’s it.

When you consider his experience, all the things he’s won in the game and that he may be tempted with ‘reasonable’ wages due to his age, he seems like a decent option.

It’s not the best approach to only sign players that are young with minimal/zero premier league experience. Having the odd senior pro will serve us well, as it did having Whelan and Jedinak for the last few seasons.

He also hasn't played football for close to a year.

Will be rustier than a tin man in a monsoon.

Then again so was Terry and he worked out great for the most part.

• Like 1