Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/price-west-ham-pay-cardiff-16298117

10m is a bargain for him, he's easily as good as Jack Butland who will be overpriced and SHA get 20% of the fee.

Difference with Etheridge compared to someone like Sam Johnstone is he's proven in the premier league and can be improved further so right up our street especially with his history with Smith and Cutler.

Would have had a lot of practice last season too - good shout. 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i can see us spending 100m tbh, on top of the above we need a LB, CB & DMC, that would actually cover the first 11.

Then its anything on top of that to actually improve the first 11?

ST - Abraham or someone else - 15-25m

Loans made permanent - Mings / El Ghazi - 20m

RW - Jota (although i reckon jota could play any of the AM roles (AML/AMC/AMR) - 4m

DMC - Phillips?/other? - 15m ish

LB - no idea? - 10m?

CB (to partner MIngs) - no idea? - 10-15m?

AML/AMR to compete for position - Lolley?/Belhrama/other? - 10m

so TBH, we are going to need to spend 70-100m just to get a decent first 11 up and running, with "some" depth.

We will need out of contract players (e.g. Aribo, Cahill etc) and loans (Axel). 

Lolley would be good at £10m.

The scary part is we need 3 forwards, and £20m doesn’t buy you quality guaranteed. We could spend £45m on Tammy and Maupay and still be concerned at scoring enough at this level.

I’m not surprised we are looking g at a new keeper. Always need to improve.

A mate of mine after Wembley said he’d heard rumours that we are after Joe Hart. No idea where he got that from.

Not sure he’d be right for us, but certainly he the experience 

• Haha 1

Given the amount of players needed i think Joe Aribo on a free would be a smart bit of business. Seems to be linked with ourselves and both Glasgow clubs, if true I'd make us favourites to sign him as the PL would surely be a bigger draw. 

13 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m not surprised we are looking g at a new keeper. Always need to improve.

A mate of mine after Wembley said he’d heard rumours that we are after Joe Hart. No idea where he got that from.

Not sure he’d be right for us, but certainly he the experience 

2010?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Take a leaf out of Spurs' book. Sign young, emerging players for ever-so-slightly more than seems reasonable and develop them into first teamers before flogging and repeating.

It's a random one but I'm still annoyed that they got Naughton and Walker for around £7mil combined. They sold Naughton and covered the cost, getting decent time from Walker before pocketing £50mil.

Meanwhile we had Young, Shorey, Beye and Warnock sitting in our squad. £20 mil outlay. £0 back. 😐

• Like 3

What you say is an "average" amount each Premier League team will spend each summer?

I mean at the top, things are obviously different with £200-£300m not unusual - but for the type of clubs we should be aspiring to compete against, the likes of Watford, Palace and so on - what will they spend to stay where they are and how much do we need to spend to get towards being able to compete with them?

People are speaking about £80m as if it's the high end of what a sensible spend is - for me I think it might take double that to keep us in the division.

• Like 3

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

What you say is an "average" amount each Premier League team will spend each summer?

I mean at the top, things are obviously different with £200-£300m not unusual - but for the type of clubs we should be aspiring to compete against, the likes of Watford, Palace and so on - what will they spend to stay where they are and how much do we need to spend to get towards being able to compete with them?

People are speaking about £80m as if it's the high end of what a sensible spend is - for me I think it might take double that to keep us in the division.

Agreed. You are likely to see the likes of Bournemouth, Palace and West Ham all doing £100m plus and we are arguably coming from lower starting point. 

We need to spend big, but also spend wisely to ensure that any outlay can be recouped should we go back down. 

There's a few experienced heads that I'd be open to signing, for sure. Some are realistic, others are not.

To name a few, contracts are either expiring this window or players are already free agents:

• Daniel Sturridge
  • Ramires
  • Juan Mata
  • Yohan Cabaye
  • Ander Herrera
  • Brahimi
  • Lazar Markovic
  • Godin
  • Dos Santos
  • Antonio Valencia
  • Moreno
  • Monreal
  • Welbeck
  • Hector Herrera
  • Filipe Luis

I've left out a few talented players because I am aware they have a history of attitude problems.

29 minutes ago, sne said:

If we sign Joe Hard we may as well give up the season.

That might as well be his name because he needs to try another career that isn't football, cos he's absolutely **** garbage at goalkeeping.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I like the Serbian guy at Palace, can never spell his surname correctly though! Anyway strikes me as solid DM who also is good at penalties and free kicks.

15m to try to weaken a rival?

Bentekovic?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, thunderball said:

We need 4 centre backs, we have 1 and he is crocked. Hypothetically, ask yourself, would you rather Cahill or Chester?

Very happy if Mings and Axel are the other two (bought), or even Konsa.

Fortunately, we have more options than Chester or Cahill.

There are better options and that is why we have invested in our scouting system.  I would rather have Hause, Mings and Tuanzebe than Cahill and if we found them, we can find others on the right side of their career evolution.

10 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

There's a few experienced heads that I'd be open to signing, for sure. Some are realistic, others are not.

To name a few, contracts are either expiring this window or players are already free agents:

• Daniel Sturridge
  • Ramires
  • Juan Mata
  • Yohan Cabaye
  • Ander Herrera
  • Brahimi
  • Lazar Markovic
  • Godin
  • Dos Santos
  • Antonio Valencia
  • Moreno
  • Monreal
  • Welbeck
  • Hector Herrera
  • Filipe Luis

I've left out a few talented players because I am aware they have a history of attitude problems.

In the past I'd have been happy with a lot of that list - I think powers at Villa would've been too. 

Now, all I'm interested in is what Smith wants. I think he would look at that list as examples of the exact opposite of what he looks for in a player. Even Mata who I'd love to see on our shirt.

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

• Daniel Sturridge
  • Ramires
  • Juan Mata
  • Yohan Cabaye
  • Ander Herrera
  • Brahimi
  • Lazar Markovic
  • Godin
  • Dos Santos
  • Antonio Valencia
  • Moreno
  • Monreal
  • Welbeck
  • Hector Herrera
  • Filipe Luis

most of those players are the exact opposite of what we need, old, expensive wages, last big pay cheque, past their prime.

I wouldnt even have taken Wellbeck in his prime, terrible player.

Sturridge is an injury merchant.

Large chunk of the rest are on the gravy train.

a couple are possible, but prob wouldnt join us?

• Like 1

Hector Herrera would be fantastic.

But just like Godin, Mata and Luis he will ask for wages far beyond what I'd imagine Villa will offer.

I don't think Chester will play again. Not at the highest level. He's a wreck, physically.

In that sense I would look at Cahill as a Terry type figure for a season or 2. Help guide younger players and add nous.

It's true we didn't hire Suso to keep fishing in British waters though. I think half or a fair portion of our signings will be left field.

• Like 1