Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I think Kesler will start as a wide man instead of a right back before being slowly moved backwards, bit like Coleman was at Everton. Its one of the hardest positions for a young lad to break into. Look at Cash, 1st 10 games he was targeted every game by the opposition and luckily for us he got through the tests

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Kesler will start as a wide man instead of a right back before being slowly moved backwards, bit like Coleman was at Everton. Its one of the hardest positions for a young lad to break into. Look at Cash, 1st 10 games he was targeted every game by the opposition and luckily for us he got through the tests

He'd better score!

I hope he comes back in the summer and stays....for his first season in the PL he was no worse than some of the squad who are now excelling. I think he could become a great squad asset if we hold onto him. I love his attitude, his passion and his genuine love to represent the club. I'd like to see him brought back for next season in all honesty. It'll allow us to concentrate elsewhere for improvement and depth. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I hope he comes back in the summer and stays....for his first season in the PL he was no worse than some of the squad who are now excelling. I think he could become a great squad asset if we hold onto him. I love his attitude, his passion and his genuine love to represent the club. I'd like to see him brought back for next season in all honesty. It'll allow us to concentrate elsewhere for improvement and depth. 

Think the writing is on the wall tbh. Sure he has a few fans on here - but Smith preferred Elmo - and there was no reported transfer interest last summer - and only a loan move in the winter window.

Can't see Smith doing a 180 and saying he's part of the first team squad next season. Don't see many bids coming in either. Another loan looks likely next season IMO.

33 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think the writing is on the wall tbh. Sure he has a few fans on here - but Smith preferred Elmo - and there was no reported transfer interest last summer - and only a loan move in the winter window.

Can't see Smith doing a 180 and saying he's part of the first team squad next season. Don't see many bids coming in either. Another loan looks likely next season IMO.

I don't think Smith preferred Elmo, he just made a decision to sell Guilbert to free up a place in the squad because he thought he could sell him, but it backfired because he refused to move at first as he wanted to stay plus other teams were only prepared to loan him.

So Smith just doubled down on his decision and forced him out.

He couldn't have sold or even loaned Elmo, because no one would pay his wages so it's easier to let him see out the final year of his contract, plus he is a the most experienced player now at the club and great to have around and can still do a job.

Once Elmo leaves I think Smith will promote Kesler though rather than give Guilbert a second chance.

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

He is alright, an ok back up.

Does Dean rate him? I don't think so loaning him out for an older player who is leaving in the summer.

Alternatively it is a loan in the true sense of the word. Let someone else benefit from him in the interim, save us some money and benefit from the interest when he returns in the form of a player with more experience.

It is possible he's part of our plans, but whether he wants to be part of them, if that plan is the backup, is another matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Alternatively it is a loan in the true sense of the word. Let someone else benefit from him in the interim, save us some money and benefit from the interest when he returns in the form of a player with more experience.

It is possible he's part of our plans, but whether he wants to be part of them, if that plan is the backup, is another matter.

Personally the only way I see him being part of Deans plans next season is if he doesn't want to spend what is available on his position as he is forced to spend in a couple of others just due to others leaving.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Clean sheet and Scored the winner vs Monaco tonight, rare mistake by the club to let him go for Elmo

Yep his stats on whoscored are insane for the 4 matches he's played so far. Strasbourg must think we are mad. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Clean sheet and Scored the winner vs Monaco tonight, rare mistake by the club to let him go for Elmo

Great goal too, has something of Hutton vs blues wins the ball on the half way line, drives forward and finishes with his weaker left foot from outside the box. 

Shame Dean doesn't rate him, I think he'd be ideal backup for Cash as they are very similar in style, and much like Targett, Konsa, Luiz and Nakamba he might very well have learned a lot from a season in the premier league and come back much stronger for it. Whereas Elmo certainly isn't getting any better and I feel has let us down in 2 of our last three games. 

Don't think Fred is too eager to come back, he's getting regular game time is performing very well and is in his home country. Shame, looks like a very likeable chap on top of it all. 

• Like 1

Ran from the halfway line to fire in the winner on his weaker foot against Monaco and a draw against top of the table Lille a few days before this. He also has 2 assists to go with his goal.

I'm absolutely fuming we let him go out on loan and kept a pensioner around. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Only 2 Ligue 1 teams in the Champions League semi final last season 🙄

Yeah but one of those teams was Lyon. Their fans are so knowledgable on judging players and so on that they belong in the CL semi finals every year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â