Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Much as I like Freddie as a character isn't he one of those players who people are thinking is better than he was simply because Elmo has been rubbish last couple of games?

Guilbert put in two of the worst performances I have ever seen by a full back last season against Southampton and Leicester away; Elmo was sensational last night in comparison.

I'm pleased he's having a good season; he's a likeable character and I agree a much better back up than Elmo but he's nowhere near Cash's level.  I don't think he would have made any difference last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, claretman said:

Much as I like Freddie as a character isn't he one of those players who people are thinking is better than he was simply because Elmo has been rubbish last couple of games?

Guilbert put in two of the worst performances I have ever seen by a full back last season against Southampton and Leicester away; Elmo was sensational last night in comparison.

I'm pleased he's having a good season; he's a likeable character and I agree a much better back up than Elmo but he's nowhere near Cash's level.  I don't think he would have made any difference last night.

He also put in the best performance of our last season to shut up Auba, Tierney and Saka in our win against arsenal. 

And he can hardly be blamed for those results the entire team was shit. And he clearly wasn't at the races that day. He seemed a lot slower than he normally does and a couple unlucky bounces **** him. He blocked a cross, it bounced back to Vardy and he had a clear shot on goal that isn't really his fault. Especially when you consider he was recovering from a 2 on 1 situation.

In fact that was the theme of the game elmo was played as part of a more defensive formation but every time Leicester attacked it was a 2 on 1 situation against guilbert with elmo who was nowhere to be seen. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 3

Should never have been allowed to leave on loan.

The more I hear about him on his loan spell, the more I believe he is perfect to be our backup right back next season and to push Cash.

He was poor last season, but so were many others. Targett at left back was one of our weakest players in many games and now is one of our strongest.

One of the few highlights from last season. When people hid or bottled it, he didn't. Those characteristics build strong teams. Players who play and battle for each other. 

Wasn't going to get many starts with cash there but my god, I would prefer the young youth player we have over negative slow elmo.

Last night was to the point the right hand side was completely ignored no doubt players fed up with him checking back every single time and then everything predictably only comes from the left.

They left no one on the right in the end such was the uselessness of elmo.

Well done Fred, an unsung hero who was good 90% of the games he played in.

• Like 3

Seems to be getting better every time he doesn't play for Villa. Sure he was committed and ran around  a bit last season but he was poor. Smith obviously doesn't rate him and he will be sold in the summer. We do need another full back who could play both left and right as backup in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He was poor. On the ball he was proper awkward at times. He does have some strengths and is a likeable guy, not knocking him, but has major limitations.

He wasnt much poorer than the rest of of our defence, but for some reason he has become a scapegoat, who was so poor that he was at fault for our season at that we had to ship him out on loan. Yes, he had some poor games, but so did the rest og the whole team 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taxahunter said:

He wasn't much poorer than the rest of of our defence, but for some reason he has become a scapegoat, who was so poor that he was at fault for our season at that we had to ship him out on loan. Yes, he had some poor games, but so did the rest og the whole team 

I agree. 

We are very guilty, as a club and a fan base, of bringing people in from lesser leagues and foreign countries and expecting them to hit the ground running.  We did it with Gueye, Veretout, Amavi and Ayew a few seasons back and they have all gone on to do alright.  We did it with many of last seasons signings and now look at Konsa, Targett and Luiz.  It takes time to adjust to the Premier League, especially when you come in from overseas.  Ideally, we would blend these people into the squad over time, as we are hopefully doing with Sanson, but we didn't have that luxury last season.

Guilbert is a much better right back, imho, than Elmo.  This is not a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder as many contend, as I thought this all of last season as well.  Elmo has had a good career but he gets caught out defensively (as the first Leicester goal and the Sheff U goal demonstrates) and he constantly turns back/doesn't back himself in offensive positions.  Guilbert also brings energy and bite which I personally like.

Sure Cash is better but we need cover and it is not easy to bring in good cover when they see a robust and strong player in front of them which Targett and Cash have been this year.  Equally, if Kessler is the player that we all hope, then next season might be Freddie as cover for Cash whilst Kessler gets out on loan with a view to coming back the following year as the back up?  This would allow us to divert more of out transfer funds into a nine, two wide players, an extra midfielder and a replacement for Taylor - key areas requiring upgrade/additions for me. 

• Like 3

I thought he was better than Elmo last season and played a vital part in us staying up after Hause got injured and Konsa was moved central.  I get the impression he was told he would need to battle for a number 2 spot with Elmo so preferred to take the loan move.  Even if he stayed and played he still would lose his place once Cash returned. 

Can’t blame the guy for wanting to play games.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

I got the impression he was told he was no. 3 choice??

That would have been awful management to tell him that.You want all your players pushing, giving it their all, performing at their highest possible level. Telling him that would just demoralise him.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But had he stuck around I reckon he would be playing the next 2 games. 

Having been told that though and having missed the first half of the season, I am sure he just wanted to get out and play.  I think Smith wanted the same.  Maybe the thought process was that they wouldn't have been able to offload Elmo, and therefore his wages were a fixed cost, so get Freddie's off the bill, get him playing and utilise Elmo for the H2 of this season.

Personally, I'd rather have Kessler than Elmo.  He can't be any worse and we are safe anyway - let's look to the future! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

That would have been awful management to tell him that.You want all your players pushing, giving it their all, performing at their highest possible level. Telling him that would just demoralise him.

Actions speak louder than words. Smith was playing **** Konsa at RB at one point instead of relying on Guilbert and there's been no evidence that Smith's opinion on him has changed since then. And he has been consistently left out of the matchday squad. He clearly isn't rated by management and he probably knows that without anyone telling him.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Actions speak louder than words. Smith was playing **** Konsa at RB at one point instead of relying on Guilbert and there's been no evidence that Smith's opinion on him has changed since then. And he has been consistently left out of the matchday squad. He clearly isn't rated by management and he probably knows that without anyone telling him.

Guilberts first game back from injury was crystal palace.

On 05/03/2021 at 13:23, barry'sboots said:

I got the impression he was told he was no. 3 choice??

Even if he was told or not it's fairly obvious when he was he was travelling with the squad but not even making the bench when Elmo was. 

Â