Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

On 09/03/2021 at 18:16, hippo said:

Show me the buyers.

If someone comes in and tops the £6m we paid for him great. But there wasn't much interest this summer. TBH I think another loan is on the cards for next season.

There are PL clubs in for him apparently?!  If he gets a decent run at Strassbourg and continues with his starting form, there will be plenty of interest, but I would personally bring him back and move Elmo on.

6 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

There are PL clubs in for him apparently?!  If he gets a decent run at Strassbourg and continues with his starting form, there will be plenty of interest, but I would personally bring him back and move Elmo on.

Apparently.

But there weren't in the summer.

If we want to push on the likes of FG aren't good enough IMO. Bottom line , rightly or wrongly I think he is finished with us.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

If we want to push on the likes of FG aren't good enough IMO. Bottom line , rightly or wrongly I think he is finished with us.

We will have to disagree on that I guess.

Are there better right backs? Yes, as Matty Cash has demonstrated.  Are there better right backs that will be willing to come to Villa Park in the summer to sit behind Cash who is pretty robust and a definite first choice?  I'm not so sure, especially if we are not in Europe with additional games.  And are there areas of the squad that we should prioritise ahead of a back up RB when spending in the summer? I would think there is - back up LB, possibly new CB if Engels departs, a CM'er and, for me a "9" and two wide players.  I also think it depends how much potential they see in Kessler and how far away they think he is - if he is loaned out next season with a view to integrating him back in to the first team the following year then it would make sense to keep FG for a year as a stop gap cover option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Are there better right backs? Yes, as Matty Cash has demonstrated.  Are there better right backs that will be willing to come to Villa Park in the summer to sit behind Cash who is pretty robust and a definite first choice?  I'm not so sure, especially if we are not in Europe with additional games.  And are there areas of the squad that we should prioritise ahead of a back up RB when spending in the summer? I would think there is - back up LB, possibly new CB if Engels departs, a CM'er and, for me a "9" and two wide players.  I also think it depends how much potential they see in Kessler and how far away they think he is - if he is loaned out next season with a view to integrating him back in to the first team the following year then it would make sense to keep FG for a year as a stop gap cover option. 

There's no evidence Fred is willing to play second fiddle either though.  He may also feel he is too good to sit on the bench. So yes, finding someone better than him and persuading them to join us without first team guarantees could well be a challenge.

I suspect a youth signing, or Kessler, is the most likely backup next season.

Edited by MrBlack

14 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Can't disagree with much there. Whatever the arguments though, I think he isn't rated by the current coaching staff, as such I don't see him having a future with us.

Seeing that he was behind Elmo in the pecking order, doesn't seem like Smith rates him. Think we will sell him and look for alternatives - possibly Kessler.  If we do that, I would re-sign Elmo for 1 more year as emergency cover for the RB/CB positions (essentially our 25th man) in case Kessler finds the step up challenging. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Another assist in strasbourgs latest win.

Played 7 scored 1 and 3 assists

3 wins 2 draws 2 losses

Moving strasbourgs points per game from

1.042 points per game to

1.13 points per game.

Clearly a big improvement with him in their team.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 21:05, MrBlack said:

There's no evidence Fred is willing to play second fiddle either though.  He may also feel he is too good to sit on the bench. So yes, finding someone better than him and persuading them to join us without first team guarantees could well be a challenge.

I suspect a youth signing, or Kessler, is the most likely backup next season.

I'm not sure they will keep Kessler as second choice right back, he only has one appearance in professional football and it might be a big ask to fill in for Cashy for a run of games, should he get injured. A loan to the lower divisions seems to make more sense. That said I haven't seen him play and he might be much better than I think. 

It makes sense to keep Fred, he signed a contract with us and we are under no obligation to sell him. It would likely cost us more to suitably replace him than to keep him and I feel he's good enough cover for Cash, he's played in the prem, and has been here for 18 months, he knows the club, the system, the fans and the players. As others have said, I would prioritize investing in other positions than back up rb. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WooJung said:

I'm not sure they will keep Kessler as second choice right back, he only has one appearance in professional football and it might be a big ask to fill in for Cashy for a run of games, should he get injured. A loan to the lower divisions seems to make more sense. That said I haven't seen him play and he might be much better than I think. 

It makes sense to keep Fred, he signed a contract with us and we are under no obligation to sell him. It would likely cost us more to suitably replace him than to keep him and I feel he's good enough cover for Cash, he's played in the prem, and has been here for 18 months, he knows the club, the system, the fans and the players. As others have said, I would prioritize investing in other positions than back up rb. 

I agree with your points I just have a feeling the club doesn't see it that way. Hope they do share our view though, I think he would be a much better alternative that what we could find for the same money.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 10:30, nepal_villan said:

Seeing that he was behind Elmo in the pecking order, doesn't seem like Smith rates him. Think we will sell him and look for alternatives - possibly Kessler.  If we do that, I would re-sign Elmo for 1 more year as emergency cover for the RB/CB positions (essentially our 25th man) in case Kessler finds the step up challenging. 

Problem is, though, Elmohamody has demonstrated in the games where he deputised for Cash that it is like having another Taylor at RB; it totally changes the way we play, and not in a good way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received player of the month or similar in France, not the same league I know but there is a player there, is he going to be another overseas player that we get rid of (miss out on ) because we don’t give them enough time to settle into a different environment and then develop their potential to the maximum ? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smg said:

Just received player of the month or similar in France, not the same league I know but there is a player there, is he going to be another overseas player that we get rid of (miss out on ) because we don’t give them enough time to settle into a different environment and then develop their potential to the maximum ? 

We've seen a lot of that yes, it's not necessarily that here though.

It could be that we just want to finally get some money in for a player we don't need anymore. Bit annoying them constantly leaving on frees having drained us for 4 years.

I'm a big fan and I'd be up for him staying as cover for RB + LB. He isn't as good as Cash or Targett though.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

We've seen a lot of that yes, it's not necessarily that here though.

It could be that we just want to finally get some money in for a player we don't need anymore. Bit annoying them constantly leaving on frees having drained us for 4 years.

I'm a big fan and I'd be up for him staying as cover for RB + LB. He isn't as good as Cash or Targett though.

Don’t disagree entirely but neither Cash nor Targett were playing at their current levels last season or seasons before there is always a chance to improve, that’s the problem we don’t tend to give that time.

Average a 7.41 rating so far over there with Strasbourg according to whoscored. He's really killing it over there.

He's only played 8 games but still, only 4 players currently have higher rating than him in ligue 1. Kylian Mbappe, Andy Delort, Memphis Depay and Neymar.

If he keeps up this kind of form til the end of the season we would be absolute fools to let him go for anything less than some serious money. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

I watched Matty Cash play on the wing for Forest quite a few times, and he wasn't very good, if we were still a championship club and signed him to play as a winger I'd be very disappointed, difference between him on the wing and at right-back for Forest was massive.

On Guilbert I wouldn't read too much into his form in France, he was supposedly rated as one of the best performing right-backs in Ligue 1 when we signed him.

Â