Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

And obviously still is, perhaps that is his limit, but isn’t it the job of premier league clubs to spot talent and then improve it, perhaps we aren’t that good at that. ? It is obviously easier to say he has achieved his limit rather than look at our own coaching effectiveness or lack of it.

49 minutes ago, useless said:

I watched Matty Cash play on the wing for Forest quite a few times, and he wasn't very good, if we were still a championship club and signed him to play as a winger I'd be very disappointed, difference between him on the wing and at right-back for Forest was massive.

On Guilbert I wouldn't read too much into his form in France, he was supposedly rated as one of the best performing right-backs in Ligue 1 when we signed him.

more if we were playing away to a City or something to play Cash in front of Guilbert or in our current situation with 2 wingers out

I think we have a interesting decision to make over Fred. I think he's very decent going forward and has a good cross but gets found out defensively quite a lot. 

Do we let him go and promote Kesler to the bench with Elmo leaving this summer too? Or does he compete with Cash and we loan out Kesler? 

28 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think we have a interesting decision to make over Fred. I think he's very decent going forward and has a good cross but gets found out defensively quite a lot. 

Do we let him go and promote Kesler to the bench with Elmo leaving this summer too? Or does he compete with Cash and we loan out Kesler? 

I’d keep him in the absence of Elmo and look to loan out Kessler to gain much needed experience of first team football. 

I really like FG and his attitude, even on loan he’s very supportive of the team and performing well for his loan club. 

• Like 4

I don't think it does us or Fred any favours leaving him on the bench for a year, Cash is obviously first choice and Kesler his long term understudy so I expect we'll sell Fred this summer while his stock is high. The decision will be whether to promote Kesler or send him out on loan and give Elmo a year long extension.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Say Cash has a bad injury halfway between the two transfer windows, do we really want to risk it with Kesler? What if he's just not ready or not good enough? How could that affect our season? 

Keep Fred, unless a good offer comes and we find a suitable replacement at the right price.

I really think we should move Elmo on. Top professional, top lad and played a massive contribution to our promotion to the prem, but this season he's been average at best and not even consistently so, and he can only get worse at this stage of his career. 

Edited by WooJung
  • Like 2

I think he deserves a fair crack here. I certainly disagree with the notion that Cash is a huge upgrade, I think there's very little between them and I'd like us to give them a fair chnace to battle it out.

It'd be stupid to get rid of him unless we're talking big money. He's been smashing it in France and seems a greta character. I can't see how any rational person could genuinely think Elmo is better then Freddie G

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Does anyone know why he was loaned out and we stuck with Elmo?

He was number 1 at the of the season, promoting Cash names sense but I just dont know how he ended up below elmo

I heard he asked for a loan after Cash came in. No idea if that’s true.  Probably saw the writing on the wall and wanted to play and not sit on the bench game after game.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I heard he asked for a loan after Cash came in. No idea if that’s true.  Probably saw the writing on the wall and wanted to play and not sit on the bench game after game.

May make sense, I'm sure we were told that Smith had made him 3rd choice though.

16 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Does anyone know why he was loaned out and we stuck with Elmo?

He was number 1 at the of the season, promoting Cash names sense but I just dont know how he ended up below elmo

Dean had to reduce the squad, Elmo had no resale value and Dean knew he could do a job as back up. He hoped Guilbert would get a perm move and get a reasonable fee, but it didn't happen. Guilbert turned down serveral loans before realising he was third choice behind Elmo and deciding to leave.

From what i've read Guilbert did not want to leave Villa but was forced out.

I can't see him coming back and getting game time.

Edited by VillanousOne

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

Dean had to reduce the squad, Elmo had no resale value and Dean knew could do a job as back up. He hoped Guilbert would get a perm move and get a reasonable fee, but it didn't happen. Guilbert turned down serveral loans before realising he was third choice behind Elmo and deciding to leave.

From what i've read Guilbert did not want to leave Villa but was forced out.

Dean had to reduce the squad? We didn't exactly have a bloated squad last season.

I think Elmo was seen as an emergency centre back as well.  Engels and Hause seemed to both get injuries that went largely unnoticed because of Mings and Konsa not missing much football.  I hope Fred comes back as I rated him last season.

• Like 2

Â