Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

36 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't take too much notice of his performance against Leeds U23s, senior players for the most part only really play in these kind of games to get their match fitness up to speed, will have probably been told not to exert himself too much. Leeds had senior players in their team also, but it's slightly different for them, as it's something they do regularly to allow U23 and senior players experience of playing together.

That said I think that it will be Elmohamady who starts on Thursday.

You seriously think Mark Delaney picked him - but told him not to exert himself to much ?

...and with an opening at FB - you think Freddie took it easy???

I've never rated him - but one think he has always shown is 100% effort .

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

You seriously think Mark Delaney picked him - but told him not to exert himself to much ?

...and with an opening at FB - you think Freddie took it easy???

I've never rated him - but one think he has always shown is 100% effort .

One thing people appreciate about Trez, but not from Freddie

Yes I do think that, instruction would have probably come from Smith though in consultation with Delaney, although I'm sure Delaney knows perfectly well that senior players that we need for the first team squad aren't going to take too many risks over doing it for the U23s. And Guilbert himself would know that it's more about getting his match fitness up.

If for example Guilbert decided to give it is everything and have the game of his life against Leeds U23s I don't think that would make much difference as to whether he'd get picked on Thursday or not, as the gap between U23 football at the level we play it at (or any level, but we don't even play at the highest) and premier league football is massive, he wouldn't have been put in the U23s to try and impress the first team management.

If it wasn't for the fact that Kesler had played a few days before in the FA Youth Cup and Bradley Burton is injured he wouldn't have played at all.

• 2 weeks later...

tbh i really like him, he's not amazing going forward, but his sliding tackles are a thing of beauty, one thing you cant accuse him of is not giving 100%.

the way he celebrated/worked himself up (and the other players), when he tackled that Arsenal player during our final few games last season, like he had scored a goal, says it all really, top man.

I still find it strange he isnt part of our plans, i think he's a good backup for Cash, and with Elmo being 30+ im surprised we arent sticking with Guilbert as backup......although i do wonder if Kesler will be coming through to replace Elmo within the next 12-24 months, so he will be the youth promotion to understudy for Cash.

Dunno.....whatever happens i wish Guilbert the best of luck.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh i really like him, he's not amazing going forward, but his sliding tackles are a thing of beauty, one thing you cant accuse him of is not giving 100%.

the way he celebrated/worked himself up (and the other players), when he tackled that Arsenal player during our final few games last season, like he had scored a goal, says it all really, top man.

I still find it strange he isnt part of our plans, i think he's a good backup for Cash, and with Elmo being 30+ im surprised we arent sticking with Guilbert as backup......although i do wonder if Kesler will be coming through to replace Elmo within the next 12-24 months, so he will be the youth promotion to understudy for Cash.

Dunno.....whatever happens i wish Guilbert the best of luck.

He is one of the few players in the squad that we could probably get by without and is likely to attract some interest in the transfer market, so if we are looking to open up another place in the squad then it makes sense if he went.  It would be a big shame though as I really like him.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kingman said:

Cardiff, Boro, Bristol City all made enquiries for options to loan apparently. 

cardiff in advanced talks. sad to see him go but he deserves to be playing footy. elmo will leave in the summer so means we get to see him play some football and then make a decision

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

cardiff in advanced talks. sad to see him go but he deserves to be playing footy. elmo will leave in the summer so means we get to see him play some football and then make a decision

Only a loan for rest of the season I believe 

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Only a loan for rest of the season I believe 

yeah thats what i meant. get some fitness and form back and we can decide if he's a suitable back up for matty in the summer

• 2 weeks later...

Secretly hoping the performances of Cash, and the arrival of a couple of French mates will up his level.

Still love Freddie and would be brilliant to see him have a Hutton esque, Trezeguet esque super revival/improvement and second lease of life wih us.

Could potentially save us some money once Elmos contract expires.

Having said that, knowing this board and analytical team they might have already lined up a replacement.

Thread hasn't been spoken in for two weeks so also thought I'd give it a bump, after seeing his message to Sanson.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

The dream would be for him to get first team football on loan for the rest of the season, do great, and then replace Elmo as our backup right back. 

I'd like that too...imagine RB will be on the summer shopping list though. it sounds like we'll sell if the right offer comes in. elmo covers the rest of the season, buy a new RB in summer

he wasn't brought in as a PL RB. he was signed in Jan 2018, when PL football was thought impossible

Can see Freddie going in the summer, Elmo signing a one year extension to ease Kesler into the squad and then he'll be back up when Elmo leaves in 12 months. 

Not sure Fred has done much wrong, but the coaches obviously identified Cash as being far superior and it's hard to disagree

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Can see Freddie going in the summer, Elmo signing a one year extension to ease Kesler into the squad and then he'll be back up when Elmo leaves in 12 months. 

Not sure Fred has done much wrong, but the coaches obviously identified Cash as being far superior and it's hard to disagree

Yup, Being owned by the richest Egyptian on the planet helps his situation. 

Â