Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Completely changes our play with his positive play aggression and speed.

Woefully disregarded by jota every time he overlapped and jota turned back slowing up play and then losing the ball meaning fred gilbert had to try sprinting back every time.

Saw the preseason games, he was my fave from then onwards.

• Like 1

I thought he struggled today. They went past him with ease a few times and offered little going forward. Whilst it's true he has pace to burn, that seems to be only applied to his overlapping runs. With the ball at his feet I didn't see him once attempt to beat his man. Instead he elected to play balls into the box from a deep position, pretty much what Elmo was doing. Is this a tactic of Smith's or does he not back himself to go past his opposite number? Added to this his crosses were poor. Bit disappointed with him so far as I had high hopes he would be getting behind opposing defences and whipping in balls from the by-line.

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Still not convinced.

People go on about him being so much better going forward, but fact remains that Elmo has created more chances so far.

Elmo has played RW at times has he not?

Got bullied as the game went on.  On the first goal Ashley Barnes damn near ripped his shirt off to get to that ball before him.  Still as a defender you have to be stronger than a shirt pull.  No major complaints but he will have to be stronger going forward especially against cynical teams like Burnley.  

On 28/09/2019 at 18:48, AVTuco said:

Not a very good game from him today, I agree he's a bit weak. And Elmo's crosses are better. But, still a positive player in my book.

Completely disagree with Elmo's crosses. Elmo puts in one good cross every two or 3 weeks other than that they are all floaty and shit. At least Guilbert's crosses are hit hard so if a player gets a touch on it there is a good chance they will score. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Completely disagree with Elmo's crosses. Elmo puts in one good cross every two or 3 weeks other than that they are all floaty and shit. At least Guilbert's crosses are hit hard so if a player gets a touch on it there is a good chance they will score. 

I think Elmo is a great crosser of the ball, but the problem for me is that he is only ever sending in crosses to the head from around the edge of the box. This isn't ideal when Wesley doesn't seem to have great heading ability.

I don't think I've ever seen him running towards the byline and whipping one in low like Guilbert did for the goal (and Targett did for the disallowed goal) which is something I've wanted to see from our FBs for years.

7 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think Elmo is a great crosser of the ball, but the problem for me is that he is only ever sending in crosses to the head from around the edge of the box. This isn't ideal when Wesley doesn't seem to have great heading ability.

I don't think I've ever seen him running towards the byline and whipping one in low like Guilbert did for the goal (and Targett did for the disallowed goal) which is something I've wanted to see from our FBs for years.

His best balls are low bouncing crosses across the face of goal like for el ghazi's shoulder against Derby. 

Â