Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had played 80 games for the club before this season

& is a better defender and is more capable of creating chances for our forward line of 1 with accurate crosses. But he is doesn't run as quick and isn't the new exciting french kid so must be shit

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

& is a better defender and is more capable of creating chances for our forward line of 1 with accurate crosses. But he is doesn't run as quick and isn't the new exciting french kid so must be shit

Elmo is a garbage defender, any half decent winger in the Championship with pace tore him apart

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Elmo is a garbage defender, any half decent winger in the Championship with pace tore him apart

so presumably spurs declined to 'tear him apart' because they fancied more of a challenge or something?

he was quite comfortable vs spurs and bournemouth, and during the 2nd half of last season really made the RB spot his own. what you just said is really not true

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so presumably spurs declined to 'tear him apart' because they fancied more of a challenge or something?

he was quite comfortable vs spurs and bournemouth, and during the 2nd half of last season really made the RB spot his own. what you just said is really not true

Helder Costa tore him apart a few seasons back at Molineux, he done nothing in the top flight. Leeds did it last season when they came back from 3-2 again not top flight wingers. Sprus are also in quite poor form at the moment and very disjointed. Bournemouth were 2-0 up after 15 minutes and didnt really need to attack after that 

If Son was available he could have had a field day

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Helder Costa tore him apart a few seasons back at Molineux, he done nothing in the top flight. Leeds did it last season when they came back from 3-2 again not top flight wingers. Sprus are also in quite poor form at the moment and very disjointed. Bournemouth were 2-0 up after 15 minutes and didnt really need to attack after that 

well lamela, sissoko, and eriksen (off the bench) were available and none had a field day against him. a few seasons back?? lol...and the leeds game was an all round disaster beyond just elmo. done nothing in the top flight? over 200 premiership appearances!! how much did you follow his career before he joined villa? yeah nor me...but i know enough to know that he was part of a defence that kept shite like sunderland and hull in the top flight.

as i said, 2nd half of last season he was great, including the 10 game winning run and deserved to keep his spot this season

back on topic, i think right back is actually the least of our problems at the moment. we have two very good options and i'm currently torn on who i prefer. guilbert on saturday was a different player to the one we saw vs everton but think he could cause west ham some problems, so expect him to keep his place

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep, leeds was all elmos fault, nothing to do with Nyland in goal and an injured chester & a shit bree making up our central defence

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

well lamela, sissoko, and eriksen (off the bench) were available and none had a field day against him. a few seasons back?? lol...and the leeds game was an all round disaster beyond just elmo. done nothing in the top flight? over 200 premiership appearances!! how much did you follow his career before he joined villa? yeah nor me...but i know enough to know that he was part of a defence that kept shite like sunderland and hull in the top flight.

as i said, 2nd half of last season he was great, including the 10 game winning run and deserved to keep his spot this season

back on topic, i think right back is actually the least of our problems at the moment. we have two very good options and i'm currently torn on who i prefer. guilbert on saturday was a different player to the one we saw vs everton but think he could cause west ham some problems, so expect him to keep his place

You won't win this one tomav84, according to Zatman elmo is the worst ever player in the entire history of aston villa to wear the shirt and Gulibert contributed far more in 3 halves of pre-season football than elmo has done in his entire career ;)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

You won't win this one tomav84, according to Zatman elmo is the worst ever player in the entire history of aston villa to wear the shirt and Gulibert contributed far more in 3 halves of pre-season football than elmo has done in his entire career ;)

Yet only you have said all of that 🙄

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I like guilbert, yet he did make some errors I noticed which could of been very costly. Instead of clearing it on his side he short passed a few times right to our player but instead palace players picked it up. An excellent team would of made us pay for those silly mistakes and we would by rights be a couple goals down.

Our defence needs to learn to just hoof that ball up the pitch and make the opposition back right up again Into there own half, we can't be having these short passes landing into there lap in such dangerous places, it invites easy threats.

He also seems to want to shoot wasteful shots instead of passing it, he had done this on one occasion in the palace game where it could of been passed to many in front of him for better positioning on a shot.

But it's all part of what were going through all this learning, these are kinks he can sort out, hopefully quickly.

" You really got me"

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Freddie came on and played on the left against Crewe didn't he?  Might be worth a try at home to play both him and Elmo for games we expect to play on the front foot while Targett is out. 

I  was thinking this could be an option too 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

There is also the factor that we sat very deep against Spurs. Hence why Elmo and Taylor weren't exposed. It really isn't the way forward though because in this league you need FB's that do both well. You cannot expect to just sit back and soak up pressure in this league as you get caught out sooner or later. I do think they both haven't been bad either, just not good enough. I'm seeing that from several others though also at the moment. The reality is though every other player in the squad will more than likely improve, I'm not sure Elmo or Taylor can. 

23 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not even a ball was kicked before people were on elmos back.

Not true. People were speculating that we might be more potent in attack with a more dynamic RB, and so it proved against Everton. I'd hardly classify that as getting on Elmo's back.

49 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not true. People were speculating that we might be more potent in attack with a more dynamic RB, and so it proved against Everton. I'd hardly classify that as getting on Elmo's back.

Read the spurs pre-match thread & the 1000+ responses to the official lineup tweet, about 600 of them are why is elmo playing instead of guilbert, guilbert being injured is the only possible reason for elmo being picked ahead of him, the rest of the responses were mostly what a load of shit and taylor is as shit as elmo.

I believe your response to the lineup was, and i quote : " What in the sweet hell is this? "

Some of the other responses were :

Is Freddy dead? That is the only way this makes sense to me.   - Maybe Dean has been taking this "Doing a Fulham" thing seriously...

fullback choices aside that is a good lineup. but those fullbacks though...

On that line up, if we lose by less than 4 I'll be happy.

**** a duck, Have I just woke up in April?

The full back selections is so odd. Sign two young full backs better than what we have and play the two ageing weak links from last season. 

A team with Taylor and Elmohammady as full backs will be destroyed in the PL.  

he can't defend

**** sake. That's a shocker. I have no idea wtf he is doing with those fullbacks. Be fair to say that gives me a huge sinking feeling and all optimism has just drained away. I assume Guilbert is injured? Surely?

These are just some of the polite ones :)

Oh & there was also the elmo thread too , nearly forgot..

Elmo can't defend. He couldn't in the championship. Fred G will be starting every PL match he's available for this season.

Elmo done well last season but any half decent winger put him on his arse in Championship. Would be our main weakness 

Elmohamday was an absolute disaster for Hull playing at right-back the last time they were in the Premier league. If he's our best right-back then we're in big trouble.

*although you did actually say this too a little later ;) I don't mind Elmo, I think he's decent enough. But Taylor? Taylor???

Just read the whole Elmo thread it is rather amusing and completely batshit. Within 5 pages of him signing it has gone from could be ok for a million quid, solid player with a good cross to he's completely shit, worst signing ever, one of bruces mates, never pick him again, this is still in the august, by september him & snodgrass are a really promising pair and by christmas he should be given away free and we should pay his wages off. It's mostly like this for 2 years but with the positive comments spread more thinly until the end of last year where he was ok again for a bit but still too shit to even think of playing in the premier league

Edited by LakotaDakota

30 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Read the spurs pre-match thread & the 1000+ responses to the official lineup tweet, about 600 of them are why is elmo playing instead of guilbert, guilbert being injured is the only possible reason for elmo being picked ahead of him, the rest of the responses were mostly what a load of shit and taylor is as shit as elmo.

I believe your response to the lineup was, and i quote : " What in the sweet hell is this? "

Is Freddy dead? That is the only way this makes sense to me.   - Maybe Dean has been taking this "Doing a Fulham" thing seriously...

The full back selections is so odd. Sign two young full backs better than what we have and play the two ageing weak links from last season. 

he can't defend

**** sake. That's a shocker. I have no idea wtf he is doing with those fullbacks. Be fair to say that gives me a huge sinking feeling and all optimism has just drained away. I assume Guilbert is injured? Surely?

*although you did actually say this too a little later ;) I don't mind Elmo, I think he's decent enough. But Taylor? Taylor???

That sounds like they're getting on Dean Smith's back if anything. 

Still maintain that we're going nowhere fast with Taylor as our first choice LB, but I'm nowhere near as apprehensive as I was that first game :lol: . He's actually been quite decent defensively this season which is a huge surprise.

36 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

he can't defend

Oh & there was also the elmo thread too , nearly forgot..

Elmo can't defend. He couldn't in the championship. Fred G will be starting every PL match he's available for this season.

Elmo done well last season but any half decent winger put him on his arse in Championship. Would be our main weakness 

Elmohamday was an absolute disaster for Hull playing at right-back the last time they were in the Premier league. If he's our best right-back then we're in big trouble.

Just read the whole Elmo thread it is rather amusing and completely batshit. Within 5 pages of him signing it has gone from could be ok for a million quid, solid player with a good cross to he's completely shit, worst signing ever, one of bruces mates, never pick him again, this is still in the august, by september him & snodgrass are a really promising pair and by christmas he should be given away free and we should pay his wages off. It's mostly like this for 2 years but with the positive comments spread more thinly until the end of last year where he was ok again for a bit but still too shit to even think of playing in the premier league

Yes, the starting lineup this season was incredibly deflating. As was Bournemouth.

Then finally one of them was dropped and we beat Everton. It was great. I'd like some more wins.

We will not win a league game this season if Elmo and Taylor start.

Â