Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Master class in modern fullback play.

Again quick thinking for his goal, it almost looked like el ghazi didn't want to pass to him in the end as he was supporting and as high up as he was 🤣

Edited by brummybloke
clearing in the woods phone changed my text

23 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What the dickens was he doing on the bench for the first two games.

He wasn't even on the bench. Though I appreciate having two full backs on the bench is extravagant. 

I'm not down with the Elmo is trash ting, he's an adequate lower premier league level right back. But this guy is clearly a step above, or at least has the skills to be. 

Dynamism in the full back position was something we desperately lacked last season. You can probably put the blank against West Brom down to it. We had to solve it this summer and it appears we have on the one side. 

I can understand going with one of Taylor or Elmo, but never both. Not again. Not through choice. I appreciate they're very different players, but we need *more*, even if we're taking a slight gamble on finding it. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Just watched his new interview on the OS. Good man. 👍 Comes across really well imo, intelligent, clearly confident but humble at the same time, good attitude. Spoke in good English in the few small parts that he spoke in English, says his English lessons are going well, which is good to hear. 🤓 🇫🇷 Vive le Frédéric.

Edited by robby b

He's a bloody likeable bloke. English is obviously nearly there, that'll come with time working with everyone and just living here. And the talent is clear already.

Fan favourite status basically cemented. Hopefully he can do a Hitzlsperger and get a whacky Brummie French mix accent.

Only downside of this interview is Jack doing the 'Englishman talks to a foreigner' thing, slightly broken syntax and slowed down. Possibly because there's also a translator there but he comes across like a prat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Only downside of this interview is Jack doing the 'Englishman talks to a foreigner' thing, slightly broken syntax and slowed down. Possibly because there's also a translator there but he comes across like a prat.

I couldn't finish it because of this. Raw cringe.

• Like 3

'Everyone said to me "why are you going to the Championship?" But for me it was a choice that I really wanted to go. For me Aston Villa is not a club for the Championship and I sign for the name Aston Villa.'

What a man 😍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Fan favourite status basically cemented. Hopefully he can do a Hitzlsperger and get a whacky Brummie French mix accent.

Agree on all points. Woodward drives me nuts. 

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

English is obviously nearly there, that'll come with time working with everyone and just living here.

[...]

I think the second part sentence might be too harsh here, because I don't think the first sentence is right. He doesn't answer many of the questions in English, and most of those he does try are basic syntactically. He obviously came with almost no English in the first place. 

To say whether Woodward is being (unintentionally I'm sure) patronising, we would need to know whether the interview was set up purely as a social media product for the club, and therefore it's only meant for the viewing pleasure of fans, or if the experience of doing it forms part of his English classes. If it's the former, then yes it would probably have been better to ask the questions at normal speed and for Guilbert to have given all of his answers in French; however, if it's the latter, which it might be given he answers some of the questions in English, then it is completely reasonable for Jack to slow down and speak clearly.  

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree on all points. Woodward drives me nuts. 

I came in here to see if this interview had been posted to say the same! How patronising and slowly can he talk? I find it so difficult to watch interviews he does.

I also often cringe at some of the questions we ask our new signings...talk about fishing for compliments!

• Like 2

Â