Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Weird that you didn’t mention it until it had been reported in the press though 🤔

You are right I didn't mention it until it was reported. It is called discretion.

As always you are free to think whatever you wish, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Haha 1

Welcome back Tyrone... I liked the announcement as it seemed to follow on from his voyage back to Bournemouth after the Play Off final still in his kit. Everything about the guy seems to point towards being a good team player, good for morale and helping with the cohesion whether we win or lose.

I like the guy... and I'm proud to appreciate that he plays for us.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I assumed an option wasn’t an obligation. So if we’d stayed in the championship we could have not taken it up and let him go back. 

If there was an obligation attached then I absolutely see why we wouldn’t take it. 

I just don't see how there wouldn't have been some form of obligation, otherwise why would Bournemouth be so amenable?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmmm

If true that was a bit of a cock up by the club 

Not really, a player who wasn't playing first team football, had had injury problems. No way we paying 17 million for that. Unfortunately for us we added 15 million to his value in the 6 months he played for us.

Unlucky .... Yes, cock up ..... No.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I just don't see how there wouldn't have been some form of obligation, otherwise why would Bournemouth be so amenable?

If they wanted us to pay his wages and give him game time for the season then they might have put it in as an incentive for us to take him on loan. 

Non-issue.

Right decision was made at the time.

He could have been crap.

He could have got injured straight away.

He could have been great and we didn't go up.

• Like 3

Can you imagine if we'd been told in January that we had just loaned in Tyrone Mings with an obligation to buy for 17 million if we got promoted.

All of you (including me) would've gone into meltdown....

The right decision was made in January.

The right decision was made a few days ago.

If TM plays a part in us staying up he'll be a 50 million player!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If they wanted us to pay his wages and give him game time for the season then they might have put it in as an incentive for us to take him on loan. 

Maybe, though I think his move here was always more beneficial for us that it was for Bournemouth so I don't see why it would have been further loaded up in our favour.

I imagine it was simply like most transactions these days; there was an 'early bird' price (for arguments sake, let's say it was £15M) which could have been settled upon in January but fraught with risk for all the reasons discussed already and then there is/was the summer price which invariably was always going to be north of the early bird figure.

I don't really know why people are that hung up on the fees anyway, I remember when it was a badge of honour to spend big, break transfer records etc, perhaps our recent flirtation with financial ruin has brought about a culture of austerity within the fanbase.

• Like 2

The other thing to bare in mind is the reported fee is £18.9million up front with the remaining reported £7.6mlion based on clauses that bay never be met. So I look at this way, we safeguarded our future by not committing to an obligation to buy and we paid a guaranteed £2-3million more... pretty good business acumen if you ask me as he has proven himself somewhat. If the rest of the clauses are met that means we have achieved success- cup win(s) Europe qualification etc ... so happy days all round surely...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Weird that you didn’t mention it until it had been reported in the press though 🤔

Not everyone has a weird fetish about everyone knowing they are ITK

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve very good reason to believe it is true, someone I trust implicitly on these things told me about it recently.

It wasn’t an option to buy though it was a commitment to buy and I don’t think we financially could have committed to that when promotion looked so unlikely.

Had we failed to go up this summer would have been a horrific cost cutting exercise and exodus of players. 

Min fairness to Purslow I think agreeing in January to buy Mings in the summer would have been wreckless. That is without even getting into the question marks about his fitness.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and a mistake is only when you make the wrong decision at the time. If you make a decision at the time for the right reasons and it turns out not to be the best decision that isn’t a mistake. That’s my view anyway.

if we'd taken them up on it that would've been beyond 6.5m-delph-release-clause level of stupidity. where where we when we signed him? 13th? no one could have foreseen that run we went on. now, had we been 2nd at the time, yeah it might have been worth taking that gamble.

57 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Judging by the amount of social media coverage of this from the club, I’m getting the feeling they see this as our big signing of the summer. 

Maybe that’s wrong and it’s just the social media team getting carried away. I hope so because, while it’s obviously good to see Mings signing up, we probably need a couple more, maybe of people with a fuller track record of success at pl or similar level. 

It may prove to be the big signing, but I think the media team are playing up to it because of the deluge of #announcemings tweets etc some of the more eager/impatient* supporters were relentlessly posting at every available opportunity.

You supporters wanted him, well now you’ve got him and you’re gonna see him everywhere kinda thing.

*choose whichever you feel is a fairer description 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Are you actually questioning the only ITK still left on this forum who has an impeccable record?

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

So apparently the fee to be agreed was £17m. We have only paid £3m more than that now. If we end up paying the remainder of the add ons then that means some of the following:

- We have stayed up
- Tyrone has played most of the games
- We are in Europe
- He has been called up to the England squad

Relax your gums everyone.

Thank you Omar. Voice of sanity. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

So apparently the fee to be agreed was £17m. We have only paid £3m more than that now. If we end up paying the remainder of the add ons then that means some of the following:

- We have stayed up
- Tyrone has played most of the games
- We are in Europe
- He has been called up to the England squad

Relax your gums everyone.

Or as little a £1.9m if the fee of £18.9m is used.

I wonder if those who are flustering over the rumoured option also spend the 6 months after booking a holiday constantly checking if they could have booked it cheaper!

Option(s) aside, we won’t know whether the actual fee is value until later in his contract. Injury prone and/or full of mistakes in the PL and £10m will have been too much. Good performances initially ensuring PL survival followed by good PL progress and £20m will have been a bargain.

We’ve got the player. It’s now time to relax, not vex over whatever the fee is.

Disgraceful management of the club if you ask me.

Obligations to buy should be mandatory when loaning players.

We could be sitting here today with Bolasie tied down to an £80k a week contract and £15m void in our bank account.

**** disgrace.

Bring back Dr. Tone.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Obligations to buy are a dangerous game. It’s how you end up paying 20 million for Danny Ings

Leeds have a 15m obligation with Wolves for Costa. They need to get promoted.

I miss the good old days when we gambled our very existence on getting promoted in a summer's time.

Â