Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, siminjo said:

Skysports saying it`s a 3 year contract, seems strange if it is true. Hope we atleast have option to extend the contract.

I'd be shocked if we paid 20m+ and put him on a 3 year deal. That would be ludicrous tbh

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

NOOOOOO!!! Always a disaster for Villa players. 

Indeed. I'd be more than happy if we never had another player on international duty ever again. I couldn't give a **** about international football, I almost never watch it. They may want it but I don't want our best players attracting covetous eyes through anything but performances for us and if The Fates decide they are to suffer an injury, I don't want it in a friendly with the Faroe Isles.

They can get injured in the 94th minute of a Champions League Final when a Barca, Madrid, Bayern or Ajax player hacks them down in frustrated, humiliated rage at them scoring the seventh goal without reply with a scorpion kick from 25 yards out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, privateer said:

Indeed. I'd be more than happy if we never had another player on international duty ever again. I couldn't give a **** about international football, I almost never watch it. They may want it but I don't want our best players attracting covetous eyes through anything but performances for us and if The Fates decide they are to suffer an injury, I don't want it in a friendly with the Faroe Isles.

They can get injured in the 94th minute of a Champions League Final when a Barca, Madrid, Bayern or Ajax player hacks them down in frustrated, humiliated rage at them scoring the seventh goal without reply with a scorpion kick from 25 yards out.

I largely agree with you. Not that fussed about international football and it's Villa all the way.

However, part of that pride used to be that we had supplied the most England players of any team (73). We lost that title a few years back and now sit third* behind Spurs (78) and Liverpool (74)

So if Mings, Grealish and, say, Butland appeared in the squad over the next year or so it'd do our fightback on this record no harm! 

*Corinthians FC technically 2nd with 76 but they don't exist anymore (http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamClubs/MostPlyrs.html)

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Seems a really level headed person, posted a good message thanking Bournemouth and saying he wished it had worked out better. Shows the measure of the man 

When he changed his number at Ipswich he offered to pay for new shirts for fans who had purchased one with his old number. Also has worked with the homeless.

So happy to have him on board.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I preferred this version

Blimey the work experience kid has been let loose in our social media department hasn't he 😂

Hmmm

EXCLUSIVE By Pete O’Rourke

Aston Villa could have signed Tyrone Mings for £9.5million less had they accepted Bournemouth’s suggestion to insert an option clause in his initial January loan transfer, Football Insider understands.

Mings, 26, sealed a permanent switch to Villa Park on Monday in a deal that could be worth £26.5million in total after the Midlands giants reached an agreement with their new Premier League rivals.

A Villa source has told Football Insider that the club had the opportunity in January to include an option to sign Mings permanently for £17million when they initially recruited him from Bournemouth six months ago.

That would have guaranteed a saving of £9.5million before the centre-back’s outstanding form during the subsequent loan hiked up his valuation significantly and led to widespread interest in his services.

The contract blunder means Dean Smith’s side will now have less money to spend on other signings during what has already been a very busy summer of business for the club.

Mings’ arrival takes Villa’s summer spending beyond £50m after the club previously acquired Anwar El Ghazi, Matt Targett, Kortney Hause, Jota and the striker Wesley Moraes.

Mings was instrumental for Villa as they won promotion back to the Premier League, via the play-offs and Smith had made his permanent signature one of his top priorities this summer.

The defender was signed by Bournemouth in 2015 from Ipswich for a reported fee of £8million, but he made just 22 appearances in all competitions for the Cherries during his four years at the club.

If true that was a bit of a cock up by the club 

Edited by Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't get it. I always get memes... 😭

I do, unfortunately. It's payback for me making the Mrs watch Match of the Day. 

We made sure to add clauses to El Ghazi and Hause's loans in January. It would be weird if we rejected the chance on the other loanee at the same time?

That said, maybe they thought £17m was high and could get him for less. The 'save £9.5m' is also only true if the£26.5m is true and half of reports suggest it is £20m with add ons that we may never pay. So it was essentially a £3m risk

• Like 1

That could easily have been an obligation to buy.

I know it says “option” in there, but I find it surprising we would do that with Hause but not Mings.

I reckon it was to buy him provided he played X number of games.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We made sure to add clauses to El Ghazi and Hause's loans in January. It would be weird if we rejected the chance on the other loanee at the same time?

That said, maybe they thought £17m was high and could get him for less. The 'save £9.5m' is also only true if the£26.5m is true and half of reports suggest it is £20m with add ons that we may never pay. So it was essentially a £3m risk

If Bournemouth said we had to sign him no matter what for 17.5m at end of season then I think club did right choice considering his injury record. But if it was a option of 17.5m then I think club made a mistake.

As you say the extra 6.5m could be clauses we never pay for example if he gets a England call up. That may never happen.

Edited by Demitri_C

Plus at the time it was looking like we wouldn’t get anywhere near promotion. Maybe we didn’t want to risk paying 17m for a player whilst still stuck in the championship. If it was an option, then we made a mistake there. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Plus at the time it was looking like we wouldn’t get anywhere near promotion. Maybe we didn’t want to risk paying 17m for a player whilst still stuck in the championship. If it was an option, then we made a mistake there. 

Agreed. We simply weren't in any sort of position to be commiting to a £17m transfer. I dread to think what the consequences of losing the play off final would have been. 

Edited by av1

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. We simply weren't in any sort of position to be commiting to a £17m transfer. I dread to think what the consequences of losing the play off final would have been. 

Peeps seem to be confused over the meaning of the word 'option'!

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Hmmm

If true that was a bit of a cock up by the club 

Hindsight cock up? 

Nobody knew how good Mings would turn out and nobody expected promotion. If we didn’t go up but still wanted to sign him we would have been in a situation where Bournemouth would want 17.5 million for him.

Â