Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

Got to be a disaster for Croatia.

A starter that couldn't get into a Championship team and that is currently a 3rd choice keeper for a newly promoted Premier league side.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Got to be a disaster for Croatia.

A starter that couldn't get into a Championship team and that is currently a 3rd choice keeper for a newly promoted Premier league side.

I think you got it wrong.

He WAS a starter for the Championship side and was brought in by Dean Smith as an improvement on our current goalkeepers.  

He then got a head injury which took him out for a few weeks, and Steer was the next best thing. Steer did well, and it would have been wrong to take him off. Look at how that's worked out for Germany with Neuer last year - Smith knew better not to make the same mistake.

I think that Kalinic is a better keeper, and I am hoping that this preseason (not the games, but also the trainings) will determine who the first choice keeper is; Steer or Kalinic. 

Unless of course Heaton comes in, which will show that Smith has little faith in either of our current options as number ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I think you got it wrong.

He WAS a starter for the Championship side and was brought in by Dean Smith as an improvement on our current goalkeepers.  

He then got a head injury which took him out for a few weeks, and Steer was the next best thing. Steer did well, and it would have been wrong to take him off. Look at how that's worked out for Germany with Neuer last year - Smith knew better not to make the same mistake.

I think that Kalinic is a better keeper, and I am hoping that this preseason (not the games, but also the trainings) will determine who the first choice keeper is; Steer or Kalinic. 

Unless of course Heaton comes in, which will show that Smith has little faith in either of our current options as number ones.

Sorry but the club had wanted Klanic for a few years, I don’t think it was Dean Smith who brought him in.

2 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Sorry but the club had wanted Klanic for a few years, I don’t think it was Dean Smith who brought him in.

Who is the club?

Xia, Wyness, Bruce, Edens Gabby?

• Like 1

One of the oddest situations with a player I've seen. I don't think he's a bad keeper by any means, not a great keeper either but better than what he showed here. He just doesn't seem to have settled at all, he's never looked comfortable when he's played and then obviously Steer got the chance and played out of his skin. I can only guess it's just one of those things where a player just doesn't gel with a club or a country and it never gets going.

Cut-price move back to the continent incoming no doubt.

Just now, Killeen30 said:

Someone at the club then, whatever. The point still stands.

Literally no one left from back when we were first linked with him.

Can't see him or Nyland staying. Internationals shouldn't be looking at the U23s or hope for a (add name of shitty drink band) cup run for game time, although I suspect Nyland will be here this season due to his injury.

Steer is a perfect 2nd choice IMO. Cutler can be third choice for all I care!

15 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

There will still be scouting reports and info, that doesn't leave with the people.

U trying to claim Steve Bruce didn't take his little black book with him when he left? 😉

We’re looking at this with the benefit of hindsight. I’m not sure but Steer was possibly still out on loan when we bought Kalinic and even if he had been recalled I’m not sure anyone was confident that he was the answer to our GK problems at that point. We were in a desperate state for a lot of positions, GK being one of them. 

Â