January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

What I had to say on Cahill link back in November. My view hasn’t changed, I’m glad we aren’t pursuing this based on the press figures.

The owners themselves have said as much.....loaning should be a last resort and is not to be confused with building as you rightly say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

25 and over a hundred La Liga appearances? Definitely the calibre of player we need to be looking for. 

I did the thing you shouldn't do but do because I'm bored, not back to work till Wednesday so ya know......did the YouTube search on him . Looks good. Good balance and can use both feet well to pass it. One of my biggest critisicms of hourihane is his passing and game in general isn't the bravest and most intelligent. Telegraphs most his passing and very slow to turn. But his goals obviously can't be ignored.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"The game isn't about physicality"? Really? Have you never seen us bullied out of a game?

I've seen us kicked a lot because of shit refs. Bullied out of a game because other players were larger? No, not really.

Just for clarity, Im not saying don't buy large players. At all. I'm just saying its not the first trait I would consider.

Without offering up any research or examples to back this up, there can't be to many teams in this league with worse options at fullback. 

Truly awful.

I am now of the opinion that we also need a new winger. 

For me Bolasie and El Ghazi are turning out very disappointing. They are show ponies. The can do something devestatingly brilliant which gets everyone exited but more of the time they lose the ball unnecessarily,  make the wrong decision such as shooting from a silly place instead of taking the easy pass and dribble into nowhere. 

We need someone more like Snodders who is not as show boaty but much more efficient overall. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

For me Bolasie and El Ghazi are turning out very disappointing. They are show ponies. The can do something devestatingly brilliant which gets everyone exited but more of the time they lose the ball unnecessarily,  make the wrong decision such as shooting from a silly place instead of taking the easy pass and dribble into nowhere. 

We need someone more like Snodders who is not as show boaty but much more efficient overall. 

A good point. Players of this type can produce moments of true quality but they can also drift out of games and be ineffective. Others can be more consistent but less of a handful for defences. Snodders offered us the best of both. I think we probably have more pressing needs than for another winger, but if we were in the market for another, I wouldn't necessarily rule out a cheeky bid for someone like Shughie McShowboatface though. :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I agree with you and I think Albert should/will be moved on at the end of the season too and Kodjia is predominantly a striker who is filling in on the wing. Not ideal. I'd much prefer Bowen and Lolley on each flank, both far more industrious and can assist/score at the same time.

• Like 2

Just watched the highlights vs Preston (away):

1) Nyland dropping that corner, that was straight at him and they hit the bar - shocking

2) Elmo OG - shocking

3) Numerous long balls over the top making us look like 5ft midgets playing football - shocking

4) the long ball where they hit the post - shocking

I think there is a trend developing here :P

Please let us get some good signings in Jan....pleeeeeaaasseee! :)

Still entirely supportive of DS tho, not his fault we are in such a mess defensively, granted he could play more defensively and replicate bruce ball, but i would much rather he stuck to his guns, i think we can all see what he is trying to do here, and he needs a little time to sort this mess of a squad out, and implement his own ideas.

We do have some good players, but i really think half of them dont suit the system at all, even if they are ok in principle, they just arent sharp, quick, agile, intelligent, composed enough etc, in all honesty the only players i can see in a final DS lineup (of players that we currently own) are Kalinic, Chester (even though i dont rate Chester that much), McGinn & Grealish, the rest just arent good enough for the system i dont think, even if they are reasonable by average standards.

There was a very interesting post on the Brentford FC forums, where it quoted a Villa fan saying "i bet DS is licking his lips at being able to work with our excellent attacking players", and the Brentford poster said "i think quite soon the Villa fans will realise most of their players arent good enough or suited to the style of play that DS will want to implement - and its gonna be funny when they do realise it" - to be honest this guy deserves a medal, and is totally right.

ds1.png

I dont see this as a negative for DS at all, i just think its a bit of a reality check for us, which is fine, we will get there and i have faith in DS that we will get the right players, even if it takes us until next season to get all the pieces of the jigsaw in place.

In reality we have been doing ok, one loss in 9, lots of goals scored, great football at times, but the Axel and Grealish loss has impacted us i think, onwards and upwards and i look forward to a productive Jan transfer window.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John said:

A good point. Players of this type can produce moments of true quality but they can also drift out of games and be ineffective. Others can be more consistent but less of a handful for defences. Snodders offered us the best of both. I think we probably have more pressing needs than for another winger, but if we were in the market for another, I wouldn't necessarily rule out a cheeky bid for someone like Shughie McShowboatface though. :)

If snoddy wasn't playing for west ham I'd say try and bring him to villa, try a cheeky bid for him anyway, he did play last week against Southampton though.

The answer from west ham ca  only be one of two, if the price is rite I don't see why a snoddy sale can't be done.

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Just watched the highlights vs Preston (away):

1) Nyland dropping that corner, that was straight at him and they hit the bar - shocking

2) Elmo OG - shocking

3) Numerous long balls over the top making us look like 5ft midgets playing football - shocking

4) the long ball where they hit the post - shocking

I think there is a trend developing here :P

Please let us get some good signings in Jan....pleeeeeaaasseee! :)

Still entirely supportive of DS tho, not his fault we are in such a mess defensively, granted he could play more defensively and replicate bruce ball, but i would much rather he stuck to his guns, i think we can all see what he is trying to do here, and he needs a little time to sort this mess of a squad out, and implement his own ideas.

We do have some good players, but i really think half of them dont suit the system at all, even if they are ok in principle, they just arent sharp, quick, agile, intelligent, composed enough etc, in all honesty the only players i can see in a final DS lineup (of players that we currently own) are Kalinic, Chester (even though i dont rate Chester that much), McGinn & Grealish, the rest just arent good enough for the system i dont think, even if they are reasonable by average standards.

There was a very interesting post on the Brentford FC forums, where it quoted a Villa fan saying "i bet DS is licking his lips at being able to work with our excellent attacking players", and the Brentford poster said "i think quite soon the Villa fans will realise most of their players arent good enough or suited to the style of play that DS will want to implement - and its gonna be funny when they do realise it" - to be honest this guy deserves a medal, and is totally right.

ds1.png

I dont see this as a negative for DS at all, i just think its a bit of a reality check for us, which is fine, we will get there and i have faith in DS that we will get the right players, even if it takes us until next season to get all the pieces of the jigsaw in place.

In reality we have been doing ok, one loss in 9, lots of goals scored, great football at times, but the Axel and Grealish loss has impacted us i think, onwards and upwards and i look forward to a productive Jan transfer window.

Your no 3: Our team reminds me of the spanish players on fifa 19. I have a full international Spanish side and for the love of god if it's one thing I get beat by its airiel dominance. The Spanish side are just way to short, there are maybe one to two who are tall but they are wingers so it is absoloute useless.

So yeah when someone goes on about our players height,  I just think Spain with a giggle to myself.

The last bit of that post where it says we will realise that some of our players are useless and that they won't be suited to out style of play, I really have felt this myself over The past 4-5 games. The only thing I would caution Smith on is while he did well at Brentford with those players, bringing those players to villa could be a mistake. Yes those brentford lads mite of been a challenge for promotion this season, I think he needs to look beyond brentford at more talented players who can excell past the championship . Remember Smith has more money so he can aim higher in quality to do the job he needs. However he feels by bringing brentford lads in nd they can get the job done, then so be it, can't be playing any worse than what some of ours are at the momen. I've said alot recently I feel half our squad needs to be sold and it's because they fit an old dinosaur system that never worked properly.

Edited by Dave-R

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

If snoddy wasn't playing for west ham I'd say try and bring him to villa, try a cheeky bid for him anyway, he did play last week against Southampton though.

The answer from west ham ca  only be one of two, if the price is rite I don't see why a snoddy sale can't be done.

He's been playing very well for them lately.  He's a nailed on starter in their squad right now.  Takes all their set pieces and has several goals/assists in December.  They'll want too much for him in January at this point.  Need to find the next up and coming player like Snoddy, at this point.

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

He's been playing very well for them lately.  He's a nailed on starter in their squad right now.  Takes all their set pieces and has several goals/assists in December.  They'll want too much for him in January at this point.  Need to find the next up and coming player like Snoddy, at this point.

Shame about Grabban too, imagine Tammy, maupay and grabban as our strike force, because sorry I think it's time we moved on from our forwards as they are struggling in this current style I think.

We have some midfielders to replace as well as a full back line, I hope bringing elphick back he shows them how it's done, I am looking forward to his return to be honest.

I think we should bring maupay to villa,  or try. I think brentford are going to see some far checks there way soon.

Edited by Dave-R

I honestly don't see us raiding Brentford for players.  Maybe 1 or 2, if the price is right and Deano 100% believes they're Premier League quality and great characters.  I honestly think we're going to surprise a lot of people with the signings we make going forward.  We just signed the Croatian national team's keeper and it sounds like we're wrapping up a deal for the next Matic, who has 100+ games of La Liga experience.  No disrespect to Brentford, but we're Aston Villa, have rich owners, and a Director of Football who did the same job at Athletico Madrid and Valencia.  

• Like 1