January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

Observations after hasty, incomplete youtube research:

Radojan is very good at protecting the ball when he's under pressure and then moving it on to a teammate (often sideways or backward).

Doukoure is very good at taking the ball off of opponents.

Which do we have a greater need for?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Radojan is very good at protecting the ball when he's under pressure and then moving it on to a teammate (often sideways or backward).

Hmmm... Let’s get both!

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its been agreed for jedinak to go in Jan hence why we are looking at midfielders.

Personally come summer whelan jedinak nyland hutton Taylor and Elmo can go and be replaced by new smith blood.

with Richards and McCormack, gift wrapped too.

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

McGinn will think its catching on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think with all the media talk, Smith's relationship it's a very good chance Romaine Sawyers will be coming in as replacement for Grealish.

We need a replacement for injured Grealish who I hope makes a speedy recovery. The past few games Grealish has not been playing has shown how vital a player he is in our side, so yeah we need a player that can take on his job..

• Like 2

On 20/11/2018 at 22:47, TrentVilla said:

Yes, you would think it would be a loan but that was my very point we can't keep loaning players. We can't keep borrowing rather than building, we can't keep looking for quick fixes. It just isn't sustainable.

Last season we sold Baker and used most of the money from his sale paying the wages Samba. I know it wasn't as simple as that but its a reasonable line to draw between the two I think. I accept Samba wasn't on loan but its just another example of short term thinking.

Yes Snodgrass was great for us, Bolasie might be, Terry was immense. But sooner or later we have to do better, we have to build, we have to become sustainable and I think that process needs to start sooner rather than later. It should have started when we got relegated as I was saying at the time rather than the frankly reckless gamble we embarked upon.

Say we loan Cahill. What wages is on on? I'd imagine its circa £100k a week, Chelsea might sub some of that but we would still be paying what £80k a week like we are for Bolasie. That just isn't sustainable and I think it would be reckless.

You say "if we have the money to spend and find a long term guy we want then by all means sign him" but my point is we don't have the money to keep doing otherwise. 

I'm not advocating spending £10m on McKenna, I've never seen him play. But if we can go and get a player like McGinn for under £3m then I'm hopeful we can find a CB out there to sign and develop that will improve us and improve with us rather than cost us a load of wages and be gone in the summer. I'm not saying its easy to find or secure players like this but surely it should be the aim rather than continuing the way we have to date.

I agree with you we need a LB, I don't agree we need a

What I had to say on Cahill link back in November. My view hasn’t changed, I’m glad we aren’t pursuing this based on the press figures.

• Like 3

A good defensive midfielder is often on people’s wish list, I’m not sure that’s really what we should be looking for. To my mind we need complete central midfielders.  That position should encompass all things that a good midfielder needs. Both Jedinak and Whelan both offer protection to central defence, but not much else. A good central midfielder should be able to break up play but then take control of the possession and not just off load as quickly as possible. 

They should quickly assess what the situation needs and be good enough to carry it out. Carry the ball forwards, a simple pass, find the attackers, at times even hoof it, if that’s what the situation needs. We have a lot of one dimensional players and what we need is more complete players. Of course all players have stronger and weaker parts of their game, but we need more players who appreciate more aspects of the whole game. Coaching of course is another big factor in this. It can be developed, but that is easier with younger eager to learn minds. 

• Like 1

Anyone seem neal maupays comments?? Very interesting indeed. He says if smith came calling he would jump to join him as he has been so good to him. If Tammy leaves or when he does in the summer we should definitely be pursing him. I'd consider seeing if brentford would be interested in a  swap for Hogan.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

I'm sorry - but are those stats correct for Radoja ?? utter shit by the look of it.  I know he is meant to be a DM - but 2 assists i n 127 games ??

So if the stats said he had 25 assists in 127 games you would believe them? ...I’m not sure that’s how stats work!

Edited by LoughboroughLion

34 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A good defensive midfielder is often on people’s wish list, I’m not sure that’s really what we should be looking for. To my mind we need complete central midfielders.  That position should encompass all things that a good midfielder needs. Both Jedinak and Whelan both offer protection to central defence, but not much else. A good central midfielder should be able to break up play but then take control of the possession and not just off load as quickly as possible. 

They should quickly assess what the situation needs and be good enough to carry it out. Carry the ball forwards, a simple pass, find the attackers...

From what I have read and seen this is pretty much the story with this new lad. Safe to say even DMC's from African and Balkans tend to be better on the ball than most British players. Wouldn't mind us looking in the polish league either. Some very good players there. 

If the story about the Ivory Coast player is true as well, it seems DS is keen on adding size to the midfield. Both players are 185 cm tall. No idea what that is in imperial brexit units.  1/6 of a flagpole? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone seem neal maupays comments?? Very interesting indeed. He says if smith came calling he would jump to join him as he has been so good to him. If Tammy leaves or when he does in the summer we should definitely be pursing him. I'd consider seeing if brentford would be interested in a  swap for Hogan.

Link

That being said, he is still keeping an open mind that a swoop from a bigger side could come sooner than later. His hot streak matched with Brentford's dreary form will have inevitably attracted attention from those with deeper pockets. And one person he admits he would love to work with again is Smith, who he never got to say goodbye to in October.

“I have a really, really good relationship with Dean. So obviously if one day he calls me and says ‘Neal, I need you in my team’ I would consider it. But at this moment I can’t be focused on other things than Brentford. Obviously, I really liked working for him, so if one day he wants to bring me to Villa or wherever I would listen to him because he has done a lot of good things for me.”

“Yes, I have a contract and I obviously want to finish the season. But you know, football is crazy. At this moment I say ‘I want to stay in Brentford’ but sometimes a few players say ‘I’m going to stay’, and then they leave the club. But me, I want to stay here and help Brentford and see how it goes."

There seems to be a few Brentford players out of contract in the summer (according to an article I've just read in sky), could be a few bargains to be had. Any of these worth a look?

Link

And Smith reportedly has an interest in another of his former players for January - the centre-back Yoann Barbet, who is one of a number of Brentford players out of contract in June 2019.

Josh McEachran, who is stalling on new terms, is another as well as Lewis Macleod, who has rejected his latest offer, Alan Judge and Moses Odubajo.

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

From what I have read and seen this is pretty much the story with this new lad. Safe to say even DMC's from African and Balkans tend to be better on the ball than most British players. Wouldn't mind us looking in the polish league either. Some very good players there. 

If the story about the Ivory Coast player is true as well, it seems DS is keen on adding size to the midfield. Both players are 185 cm tall. No idea what that is in imperial brexit units.  1/6 of a flagpole? 

Exactly what we need!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It’s 6’2”, or 1/6 of a flagpole 😀

36 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So I guess Tommy Elphick is roughly one pig’s shoulder, or one quarter of a cow’s ear?