January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

All the best with your courses mate!  Shame the club you love don't want to offer you an open door, especially if you're offering to scout for free.  Really don't get that?  However, your posts are very informative and it's good to hear a scouts opinion of players we as a club get linked with.  UTV 

Thanks mate just suppose way it is. Very much closed door unless youre an ex footballer and know people at club lol

9 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Thanks mate just suppose way it is. Very much closed door unless youre an ex footballer and know people at club lol

Yeah i can imagine that, however the weirdest thing is that being an ex footballer doesnt make you intelligent, or knowledgeable, or insightful, or professional, or even capable of scouting and spotting talent. (you might be all those things as an ex footballer - but it isnt automatic)

It kind of reminds be of general business 30 years ago (and even present day tbh), where it was all who you knew, not what you knew, the exact opposite of a meritocracy, almost dark ages stuff and its weird with football "modernizing" around diets, data, information etc, that this hasnt spread to the people they seek to employ?!?!?!

its mind boggling tbh.

Edited by MaVilla

16 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah i can imagine that, however the weirdest thing is that being an ex footballer doesnt make you intelligent, or knowledgeable, or insightful, or professional, or even capable of scouting and spotting talent. (you might be all those things as an ex footballer - but it isnt automatic)

It kind of reminds be of general business 30 years ago (and even present day tbh), where it was all who you knew, not what you knew, the exact opposite of a meritocracy, almost dark ages stuff and its weird with football "modernizing" around diets, data, information etc, that this hasnt spread to the people they seek to employ?!?!?!

its mind boggling tbh.

some say....its not what you know, its more about what you do.

The world is full of folk who know this, that and the other.....its the doers who make the difference ( but i guess you need both)

3 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Options yep, options

we’re Aston Villa we sign all the internationals we like.... Even Salifou was an international and he never played :)

“He played you like fool ohhh Sali Sali fou”

Yes, but then he was bullet proof! 

57 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

I would imagine its all about gaining trust and if a scout has been responsible or his name is linked with a big scalp, it helps.

I also suspect you are right, you need to be in the know, but I guess the 2 things are linked.

Strangely enough, I have been in dialogue in close quarters with some players, who are not that knowledgable.....and conversely some fans are very switched on.

Its hard to make a general rule.

I was fortunate enough to have the ear of Tony Barton on one occasion for about and hour ( bet that pleased him) in a hotel( when he was manager).....His knowledge of the game just blew me away.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

It’s so hard mate trust me I keep striving as love Game and few lads on here I speak to a lot such via pm as @AvfcRigo82, @villan-scott, @Hornso, @sir_gary_cahill, @Danny_Villaman84, @KevinRichardsonsMoustache Know how hard I try and made some top friends with those guys I’ve had guy that runs PFSA (ex blackburn, Bolton and 25 years at man utd) and guy who’s found sancho at watford and recommended him to Man Utd at 14 for them turn him down and one joe Lolley then at lancashire uni Before went kidderminster and he helped joe get trial for kiddy say I am one best scout to emerge from his course and thinks I’ll be at real or Barca or another top euro club in five plus years as rates me lot. Lot of stuff I do with clubs he asks me for advice 

i take his Comments like pinch of salt but will strive get where I want too. Suso has ignored three of my emails when offered no money to work for villa and suggested the Scottish players I did other day.

Alas way it’s going I’ll work for someone as currently been helping agent close to West Ham with suggestions pity not club I love and for nothing for years.

its who you know in football not what yoU know as scout they tend go down ex player route rather than qualifications hence why our Director of football knows ex players in his homelands who have never scouted before and asked them to work for us for wage. Just way it is unfortunately

im doing my level 2 with FA next month in Northwich and hope Work up to Level 4 which I will be director of football (qualified similar to Suso) Level 3 is head of recruitment hopefully for lower league club

watch this space all self funded lol no one helps with courses but I’m very motivated 

@AvfcRigo82 knows a lot about what I’m doing as told  him :) all I can say let’s see where I am in five years I’m on a mission.

UTV

2nd that.

You seem to be gradually doing a spot on job mate and can only be a matter of time.

Some of the names and gems who have unearthed and recommend over the years certainly shows you are very much on target.

Keep doing what you're doing matey..   :thumb:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

It’s so hard mate trust me I keep striving as love Game and few lads on here I speak to a lot such via pm as @AvfcRigo82, @villan-scott, @Hornso, @sir_gary_cahill, @Danny_Villaman84, @KevinRichardsonsMoustache Know how hard I try and made some top friends with those guys I’ve had guy that runs PFSA (ex blackburn, Bolton and 25 years at man utd) and guy who’s found sancho at watford and recommended him to Man Utd at 14 for them turn him down and one joe Lolley then at lancashire uni Before went kidderminster and he helped joe get trial for kiddy say I am one best scout to emerge from his course and thinks I’ll be at real or Barca or another top euro club in five plus years as rates me lot. Lot of stuff I do with clubs he asks me for advice 

i take his Comments like pinch of salt but will strive get where I want too. Suso has ignored three of my emails when offered no money to work for villa and suggested the Scottish players I did other day.

Alas way it’s going I’ll work for someone as currently been helping agent close to West Ham with suggestions pity not club I love and for nothing for years.

its who you know in football not what yoU know as scout they tend go down ex player route rather than qualifications hence why our Director of football knows ex players in his homelands who have never scouted before and asked them to work for us for wage. Just way it is unfortunately

im doing my level 2 with FA next month in Northwich and hope Work up to Level 4 which I will be director of football (qualified similar to Suso) Level 3 is head of recruitment hopefully for lower league club

watch this space all self funded lol no one helps with courses but I’m very motivated 

@AvfcRigo82 knows a lot about what I’m doing as told  him :) all I can say let’s see where I am in five years I’m on a mission.

UTV

Follow that dream....and be careful not to sell yourself short.

sometimes in life, something for nothing attracts little value( it can sound like they are doing you a favour, hence no response) you have to find a way to reverse that in your opening gambit.)...it must be hard to get your foot in....try to find leverage, but don't sell yourself short....build value in to yourself...be creative and network to raise the odds of opportunities to meet influential people....go to as many gatherings as you can of old players etc...friend of a friend and all that, doors will open, trust me.

sorry for going on, just trying to help.

ps no streaking on the pitch that's going too far.

pps... persistence is key

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judging by the amount of activity already and reports of signings being close, it actually seems like we know what we’re doing this time around. 

Suso and Purslow seem to be at it, and Smith has us doing it on match days. 

The good times are a’comin’!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Mate at work is Brentford and Sawyers was the one they were most worried about losing when Smith came to us.

Romaine Sawyers? I say lettuce sign him up cos he's he's a quality player, a little gem. I don't even mind about his stupid frisee hairstyle. Hopefully the negotiations for him are just the tip of the iceberg and we have many others ongoing.

Edited by privateer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

Judging by the amount of activity already and reports of signings being close, it actually seems like we know what we’re doing this time around. 

Suso and Purslow seem to be at it, and Smith has us doing it on match days. 

The good times are a’comin’!

Couldn't agree more mate. It's still early days of course but we appear to be in good hands off the pitch. I hope that optimism isn't misplaced because we've been an absolute circus for the last decade or so. 

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

I know you contacted the club under the last administration, have you done so under the new lot?

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And it appears they are way ahead of you mate ;)

It's promising that our weaknesses seem to have been identified so quickly with the club working towards resolving them quickly. 

As I alluded to above, I genuinely feel optimistic about the club for the first time in years. 

27 minutes ago, privateer said:

Romaine Sawyers? I say lettuce sign him up cos he's he's a quality player, a little gem. I don't even mind about his stupid frisee hairstyle. Hopefully the negotiations for him are just the tip of the iceberg and we have many others ongoing.

Leaf it out mate. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, privateer said:

been reading it on the "webb", "kos" what we really want is a "little gem" who won't lettuce down.