January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

As much as Dean Smith has links to Brentford, I hope we don't just start bringing in any old shite from them cause they "Knew/worked with DS at Brentford".

They also have to fit in to the way we do things imo.

Lazy journalism I am sure. Happens with every manager, they usually sign 1 or 2 at best to get something they know and can trust. E.g Elmo for Bruce, Petrov for O'Neill.

I think the only likely one in this case is Barbet due to his contract, and the positions he can cover for us. Also he's at a good age.

6 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

As much as Dean Smith has links to Brentford, I hope we don't just start bringing in any old shite from them cause they "Knew/worked with DS at Brentford".

They also have to fit in to the way we do things imo.

I'm pretty sure DS would only look for Brentford players if they suited his system and could improve us.

The fact is a few of their players are much more suited to the system he wants to play than some of own players are.

Whether he does go for any remains to be seen I suppose, but definitely one or two of them would improve our team, such as Sawyers, Henry and mepham probably, as well as a couple others.

However in reality I can't imagine him going for more than one, or max two......If any to be honest, we should be scouting our own gems now, and buying already proven and settled players won't be cheap.

The only link I can imagine might be true is Sawyers, will wait and see though.

Edited by MaVilla

Size for what? We play on the deck. Winning headers? OK. What if size means being less agile? Personally, I don't care how big a player is compared to how good he is. Im just not sure it matters much anymore. The game isn't about physicality. We've played teams like Middlesboro filled with big lumps and took the piss out of them.

Of course, if a midfielder is really good and is also a unit - bonus. We need taller defenders though. Them corners... Oy!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Size for what? We play on the deck. Winning headers? OK. What if size means being less agile? Personally, I don't care how big a player is compared to how good he is. Im just not sure it matters much anymore. The game isn't about physicality. We've played teams like Middlesboro filled with big lumps and took the piss out of them.

Of course, if a midfielder is really good and is also a unit - bonus. We need taller defenders though. Them corners... Oy!

The most obvious answer would be that we play MANY different types of teams with different styles of play and personnel.

I don't see how anybody could be against players which are both massive AND can play football.

Even if it is not necessary, it  makes sense having them for if and when it is necessary,

"The game isn't about physicality"? Really? Have you never seen us bullied out of a game?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

25 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Do like the sound of Maupay but surely we have other areas of the pitch that need focussing on (in this transfer window) before getting another striker assuming Abraham stays.

This would obviously be in the summer type signing

He would be a excellent signing. If you look at smiths record he knows how to find little gems. Let's hope he can follow that trend here

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The most obvious answer would be that we play MANY different types of teams with different styles of play and personnel.

I don't see how anybody could be against players which are both massive AND can play football.

Even if it is not necessary, it  makes sense having them for if and when it is necessary,

A good big ‘un, generally trumps a good little ‘un, all other things being equal. The game isn’t as physical as it used to be, but there is and always will be a physicality element to football. Players like Messi are just incredible, unique, come along once in a generation and have no equals to compare them to. If we can unearth the next one we’ll be rather chuffed....

• Like 1

Yeah, any team needs a certain level of physicality unless you are literally light years ahead of your opposition.

As we all know any bruce ball type team failing to match your play reverts to physicality, long balls in to the box, crosses etc, to deal with that a certain number of your team need to be able to handle it, such as a a DM who can handle themselves physically, and CBs that can do the same, as well as deal with high balls/crosses.

Currently we dont have that, Hourihane is light weight and goes missing, Chester is 5ft 10 and cant deal with crosses/long balls and is muscled quite easily, we dont really have any players currently in the team defensively who can deal with the type of play we will experience a lot in this (and other) divisions.

Of course we want those players to also be able to play football, but you cant deal with everything this league can throw at you with 5ft 10in CB's and lightweight DM's, sometimes you do just need to be able to out muscle opposition. (even if 95% of your play is based around passing/attacking play).

Even Liverpppol and Man City have a mid field enforcer who can also pass the ball (Fabinho/Fernandinho etc), and decent strong CB's who can also play a bit (Stones/Van Dijk etc etc etc), being a good footballing side doesnt mean all your team needs to be 5ft 7in and 5 stone.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, penguin said:

I can’t stand Maupay, dirty horrible word removed.

Agreed, but I'm sure we would feel a bit differently about him if Dean had him wearing a Villa shirt at some point in the future. ;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Radoja rumours seem to be gathering pace in some sections of the media

They all just copy each other to get clicks.

Not to say there's nothing in it, but as soon as someone publishes a story, they all copy it to not be left behind.

Hope it comes off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think with all the media talk, Smith's relationship it's a very good chance Romaine Sawyers will be coming in as replacement for Grealish.

We need a replacement for injured Grealish who I hope makes a speedy recovery. The past few games Grealish has not been playing has shown how vital a player he is in our side, so yeah we need a player that can take on his job..

Agreed, we could use someone who would be capable of filling in for Jack because we badly miss him when he's out of the team.

How many players of that sort of ability would be willing to join us when they would not be a first choice though and would we be up for spending quite a bit of cash on what would be a squad player? Romaine Sawyers, Nick Powell or someone else on loan perhaps?

1 minute ago, John said:

Agreed, we could use someone who would be capable of filling in for Jack because we badly miss him when he's out of the team.

How many players of that sort of ability would be willing to join us when they would not be a first choice though and would we be up for spending quite a bit of cash on what would be a squad player? Romaine Sawyers, Nick Powell or someone else on loan perhaps?

I'm not sure Deano wants loan players ideally. Powell would be great if we could get him but i think he wants to leave his options open until the summer when he's free!

• Like 1

At first I thought it was one, or the other.

However I'm now wondering if one of these midfielders will be competition/rotation/backup for MCGinn and one will be competition/rotation/replacement for Whelan.

Put Sawyers (Or any other CM on the radar) into the mix and the same for Grealish.

Basically having a plethora of quality options for the middle of the park.

Shame for Landsbury as it seems his injuries have f*cked him over every time the opportunity was ideal for him to step in.

The thing is we don't have a plethora of talent in the mid field, not of the type to play a DS style.

Grealish yes, Mcginn probably but his other qualities make up for it.

Hourihane personally I don't think so, lansbury who knows and we will prob never know, whelan and Jedi no, BB not ideally.

Basically I think our players aren't as good as we think they are, if they were we would prob be in the prem by now.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

The thing is we don't have a plethora of talent in the mid field, not of the type to play a DS style.

Grealish yes, Mcginn probably but his other qualities make up for it.

Hourihane personally I don't think so, lansbury who knows and we will prob never know, whelan and Jedi no, BB not ideally.

Basically I think our players aren't as good as we think they are, if they were we would prob be in the prem by now.

That means a lot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Agreed, but I'm sure we would feel a bit differently about him if Dean had him wearing a Villa shirt at some point in the future. ;)

And to be fair John a dirty horrible word removed is exactly what we are missing. We are to soft, McGinn aside we don't have a single player with a pair of balls. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

And to be fair John a dirty horrible word removed is exactly what we are missing. We are to soft, McGinn aside we don't have a single player with a pair of balls. 

A 22 year old horrible dirty word removed with 15 goals and 6 assists in 24 games? Yes please.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1