January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

I don't like writing off the remainder of the season, but I'd rather get some conservative deals done this month for another 1-2 players, then open the coffers this summer.  I know a lot of fans would like to see us go for broke this month with signings, but I don't want to see the club in the same financial situation we were in at the end of last season.  With the contracts we currently have expiring, we can free up 200-250k/week off the wage bill, not to mention any players we sell on top to generate funds.  If we can get more signings in the mold of Kalinic/McGinn, we'll have a team solid enough to push for promotion while playing Deano's way.  

Tammy is a big loss, but now it's time for Kodja/Hogan to step up and show why we paid so much money for them in the first place.  I'm confident that one of them will find their footing for us, once Jack comes back from injury.  I'm also happy with more loans like with Hause, promising players not getting game time at bigger clubs, with an option to buy if they turn out to be good.

I still feel like for the first time I can remember, we finally have the right people in place at the club to rebuild us properly and take us back to the Premier League and beyond.  We have to remember to be patient and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.  Need to give the club time to rebuild the squad to take us up.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

One thing i was thinking. Surely the McKenna money we were going to spend in the summer was now spent on kalinic?

Hence the loan of hause?

What if we only wanted to pay 2 mil for him, but Wolves wanted 4 mil, and the loan with an option to buy for 4 mil was the agreed upon compromise?  If he is as good as Wolves rates, 4 mil will be a steal.  If he isn't, we send him back while only spending a fraction of what we would have to begin with.  It doesn't mean we don't have money, it could mean we're trying to be frugal for once.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Now I’m not trying to cling on to Benteke memories here but you’d seriously not be interested in signing him if the option came up? He would kill this league! More then Grabban or Abraham would. 

Benteke is not the same player.

And remember we played through him which meant we played a lot more direct to suit his style.

The reason why he was not a success at Liverpool was because they had a much more progressive style of play opposed to the direct style we had.

I have seen him at Palace he scored 3 in 30 last season.

And sign him on what  a permanent deal where we spend more on wages?

49 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Certain moments ( Good or Bad)  in football, life are seen as a pivotal point in a change in direction.

We have experienced many bad moments in recent years as Villa fans and with Abraham this is another pivotal point in our story.

The question is how does our club respond to this, do we become resilient and change our approach?

I hope so, 

I really hope that our dealings in the market are now long term with a proper recruitment strategy, we need to start building for next season. 

There are future international players in the cusp of lower echelons in football, there are youth players that are going to be snatched by the elite and there are players that were not given a chance by their premier league clubs so they got let go. (Trippier, Mempam, Keane, Brooks ect)

Players like Bowen, Jota, Maddison, Saiz, Maguire, Wilson have all joined Championship clubs for peanuts.

We really need to start being very savy in this transfer market and really build something.

I can imagine that Purslow is annoyed with what has happened with TA so he will make sure that something like will not happen again.

Honestly,

I just want us to start recruiting better, with younger players that fit a system of DS style.

I am not interested in us signing players like Benteke, Sturridge & Cahill because they serve no longevity to this club.

Seems like he has done that with Hause.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Seems like he has done that with Hause.

Agreed and £7m on Kalinic is still a lot of money for a gk at this level. Hardly bargain basement.

With correct scouting, you could get decent players for a fraction of the price 

Edited by mikeyp102

John Obi Mikel looking for a new club.

Image result for john obi mikel gif

Could Terry tempt him? Would his wages be astronomical?

I think we could do with him or at least someone like him in front of our back four.

• Like 1

Still a newbie on here so limited number of posts allowed.But here are my thoughts...

Delighted we’ve signed Hause, with an option to buy. Just what we immediately need and will work well with Elphick and Chester. My long term hope is that he and Axel are our CB partnership in the Premier league as I think they compliment each other perfectly. Both ball playing CB’s, one right footed one left footed. Hause is more of the unit and Axel more of a sweeper.

Think we’ll sign 2-3 more players. Maupay is top of my hot list. Nothing like Hogan as a ST but could work brilliantly with him as a partnership. Why? Because Hogan thrives off clever through balls through the middle, not wide crosses from the flanks. Equally I think he’d work well behind Kodjia too. Maupay is a brilliant link man but more than capable of finding the net too.

IMO he’s a more direct, aggressive/nasty and goal scoring version of Jack. Not the same dribbling skills maybe, maybe not quite the same vision but if Jack could add to his game what Maupay has he’d be playing for England and Champions League football now without a doubt. As such he’s a good replacement for Jack if/when he goes.

I think we’ll one or two Suso signings from Europe (take your pick from the links to date) over the next week or so, but I think any signings from Brentford - Maupay, Barbet or even Sawyers will be deadline day stuff.

We won’t get all three but we could land two......and my feeling is Maupay will be one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Now I’m not trying to cling on to Benteke memories here but you’d seriously not be interested in signing him if the option came up? He would kill this league! More then Grabban or Abraham would. 

Benteke was great but he is never recovering that form. We probably get better value resigning Gabby

3 hours ago, 8pints said:

John Obi Mikel looking for a new club.

Image result for john obi mikel gif

Could Terry tempt him? Would his wages be astronomical?

I think we could do with him or at least someone like him in front of our back four.

If he'll take £20k a week he'll be useful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Benteke was great but he is never recovering that form. We probably get better value resigning Gabby

There’s no emoji for spitting your coffee out on here, but better value from Gabby?! 

Gabby scored 75 goals for Villa in 341 appearances...

Benteke scored 42 goals in 89 - in 188 premier league appearances he has scored 69 goals, he has done this in a poor Villa side, a poor Palace side and a Liverpool side who used him mostly as a substitute.

Whereas Gabby was at Villa when we were consistently finishing in the top 10 with world class talent along side him. 

Lets not kid ourselves that Benteke is crap here, probably suffering with lower confidence. Not saying I want him back as I don’t care, but if it was an option I’d think we would be mad to not take it. 

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

There’s no emoji for spitting your coffee out on here, but better value from Gabby?! 

Benteke scored 42 goals in 89 - in 188 premier league appearances he has scored 69 goals, he has done this in a poor Villa side, a poor Palace side and a Liverpool side who used him mostly as a substitute.

Whereas Gabby was at Villa when we were consistently finishing in the top 10 with world class talent along side him. 

Lets not kid ourselves that Benteke is crap here, probably suffering with lower confidence. Not saying I want him back as I don’t care, but if it was an option I’d think we would be mad to not take it. 

Especially if we can get him on loan. Would be fantastic signing for everybody.

Need to move on. Find the next Benteke. The old one is broken, physicalky and mentally it seems. And as much as I love the romance of the prodigal son returning, if he wasn't broken he'd be tearing up the league as he should naturally be doing.

We can't afford to get it wrong.

31 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I meant on current form and fitness that Gabby be better value for money not that we should sign him either. 

Best comparison to Benteje is Bony, got a big money move that didnt work out and resigned for club that got him the move and cant rediscover that form. Roque Santa Cruz was another

We really don't need to be spending our money on strikers. Under Bruce we played very defensive football, and therefore required top quality forward players to "work their magic" and get us goals. The onus was fully on defending, so the attacking players needed to be exceptional. 

Under Smith we play a far more attacking style, so the attackers don't need to be as good because we have greater numbers forward and create more chances - this means the defense is exposed so we need exceptional defensive players to "work their magic" by stopping the other team, as they won't have the cover that a SB team provides.

We need to be going all out for defensive players. LB, RB, CDM on top of the GK and DC we've already got. And they need to be good.

We've got the likes of Kodjia, Adomah, Bolasie, El Ghazi, Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, even Hogan or Davis or RHM to step in. It's more than good enough for a team that regularly opens up and commits 5 or 6 players to attack. When that happens our defensive players have been Hutton, Taylor, Elmo, Nyland, Elphick etc. Even our better players Tuanzebe and Chester have struggled and we're just horribly exposed

If you play defensive you won't concede many but need exceptional forward players otherwise you won't score many either, playing attacking is the opposite, and we should be able to sacrifice the attacking quality to bring in exceptional defensive players or we will continue leaking goals like crazy and leave ourselves no chance of promotion

• Like 2