January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

On a more serious note, how does Maupay compare with Hogan? They are about the same size I believe, so won’t be strong in the air, like Abraham is. Therefore I’d assume Maupay would need similar service to Hogan, which we don’t appear to have been able to provide for him much. So is Maupay just a better, more busy and aggressive version of Hogan and if so is that enough to make him effective or will we just have two similar players who are equally as ineffective. If that’s the case we either look elsewhere, or adapt our style to improve the type of service Hogan needs and save our money. 

Great post. 

I believe Maupay is actually smaller than Hogan, but he's younger and a far more aggressive player who has a much better all round game. His strengths apart from his tenacity are running the channels, his movement in and around the box, he has a decent touch and can pick a pass, he's a strong runner and can obviously finish. Having said all that, a lot of these traits are what Hogan does offer (just not in the same capacity) and I can see why you would have concerns that we would be getting someone that doesn't fit our style of play - I would hope though that under Smith we are going to be play a much more fluent style and that players like Maupay will fit in perfectly.

• Like 2

I wouldn't sign Maupay if he is anywhere over 10 million. That money would be a lot better off invested in the defence and defensive midfield where we are currently an absolute shambles.

Goals are being scored from around the team and Kodjia will chip in his fair share if Abraham leaves, the key is stopping them going in at the other end of the pitch.

As @DaveAV1 quite rightly made the point of Maupay is a similar type and size player as Hogan (more aggresive though), we have never been able to provide the right service to Hogan so I would be worried that Maupay wouldn't receive anywhere near the right service should be sign him.

1 hour ago, John said:

Does anyone else think that Iheancho might rediscover his goal touch with us and that his parent club as well as us might therefore benefit from a loan with us until the end of the season if Abraham does move? 

Rediscover? He never had a good record

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I wouldn't sign Maupay if he is anywhere over 10 million. That money would be a lot better off invested in the defence and defensive midfield where we are currently an absolute shambles.

Goals are being scored from around the team and Kodjia will chip in his fair share if Abraham leaves, the key is stopping them going in at the other end of the pitch.

As @DaveAV1 quite rightly made the point of Maupay is a similar type and size player as Hogan (more aggresive though), we have never been able to provide the right service to Hogan so I would be worried that Maupay wouldn't receive anywhere near the right service should be sign him.

I agree, the defence is obviously the area that we need to strengthen first and foremost.

I can see why Maupay is being linked but as it stands we have Hogan, Kodija, Davis and RHM if Tammy leaves. For me there is enough there to get the goals to get us in the top 6 this year. Hogan and Kodija have scored 15+ in this league before and Davis has shown signs that he can step up. 

Serious investment is needed at the back. We need a starting LB and a RB that will push Bree. We also need a DM who can control the game but also has a bit of pace. If I had 10-12mil to spend that's where I would be looking to spend it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Great post. 

I believe Maupay is actually smaller than Hogan, but he's younger and a far more aggressive player who has a much better all round game. His strengths apart from his tenacity are running the channels, his movement in and around the box, he has a decent touch and can pick a pass, he's a strong runner and can obviously finish. Having said all that, a lot of these traits are what Hogan does offer (just not in the same capacity) and I can see why you would have concerns that we would be getting someone that doesn't fit our style of play - I would hope though that under Smith we are going to be play a much more fluent style and that players like Maupay will fit in perfectly.

I think the key is who else we sign and of course getting Jack fit. We were playing a more fluid passing game, but with Jack out and Tuanzebe not bringing the ball out from the back, that hasn’t been so evident of late. 

It’s  probably a lot to do with priorities. We all know about the defence, but I think central midfield needs some work too. It depends who we can get in January and the implications off ffp. Although There was a very good post by Pimlico recently and he seemed confident that it shouldn’t be a big problem. The optimist in me agrees with him. 

It will all play out over the next 24 days. We can just sit and watch and hope. 

• Like 1

We need to stop buying expensive turkeys! where does it end,richards,elmo,hutton,cantgetovermygates and not least hogan have crippled the team with exorbitant wages for little footballing return

Then we got all the loan players.Villa need to rebuild the team from the bottom up and give smith time to do it,and in fairness thats going to take at least another season in the championship.

We need young players who are hungry and want to play for the badge and club,maybe then i can look forwards to every saturday.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind having Maupay at Villa.

But we really must start finding these players ourselves and not have to pay the Championship premium after they've had 1 good season in the league.

They bought him for 2 m Euro and will probably ask for £10m and he'll ask for 10 times the wages he had.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sne said:

But we really must start finding these players ourselves and not have to pay the Championship premium after they've had 1 good season in the league.

They bought him for 2 m Euro and will probably ask for £10m and he'll ask for 10 times the wages he had.

Yep. If we want Maupay then so will he....

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We could sweeten the deal by throwing in Micha Richards.....

I couldn't be that cruel to any club - imagine it 

"Oh great we have signed Scott Hogan and Micah Richards" 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sne said:

I agree totally 👍

• Like 1