January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I can see why Maupay is being linked but as it stands we have Hogan, Kodija, Davis and RHM if Tammy leaves. For me there is enough there to get the goals to get us in the top 6 this year. Hogan and Kodija have scored 15+ in this league before and Davis has shown signs that he can step up. 

Serious investment is needed at the back. We need a starting LB and a RB that will push Bree. We also need a DM who can control the game but also has a bit of pace. If I had 10-12mil to spend that's where I would be looking to spend it. 

Yeah between the four of them they have mighty amount of less than 8 goals. I'm sure that will get us promoted !

• Like 1

I really don't see Maupay as being remotely good enough for Villa. I've no idea where the story came from initially - lazy journalism, idle speculation or an informed journo? From what I've seen of him, he's a half-decent championship striker. He is the focal-point for Brentford (as was Hogan) so I don't really think that solves our problem. 

As for £15M, I know Brentford will always sell at their valuation but I'd be amazed if that's what they were after for him. 

For the money it would take to get Maupay we should and could get a far better player for much less.

But you need to have a working scouting system to do that.

No idea if we do yet.

1 hour ago, sne said:

For the money it would take to get Maupay we should and could get a far better player for much less.

But you need to have a working scouting system to do that.

No idea if we do yet.

Yeah right, we know we sacked the old guard, apart from Jesus coming in, have we made many appointments to the scouting network? Or are we just looking at Football Manager (hopefully not the 1984 one, or we'll sign D. Osman).

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

On a more serious note, how does Maupay compare with Hogan? They are about the same size I believe, so won’t be strong in the air, like Abraham is. Therefore I’d assume Maupay would need similar service to Hogan, which we don’t appear to have been able to provide for him much. So is Maupay just a better, more busy and aggressive version of Hogan and if so is that enough to make him effective or will we just have two similar players who are equally as ineffective. If that’s the case we either look elsewhere, or adapt our style to improve the type of service Hogan needs and save our money. 

The only comparison between the two of them is they are about the same size, Maupay is a more skillful player, busier on the ball, aggressive, seems to find space out of nowhere,  great passer of the ball, runs the channels well, quick of the mark,  he can also head the ball as well,  his goal return is 16 so far, considering we haven't had a very good season so far it's a great return, he has become a bit of a cult figure with us and we would all be sorry to see him go, but we have got a couple of youngsters coming through our production line via the B team who look very promising as well, our scouting and recruitment system seems to work very well for us, and makes us a few bob when we sell on.

We don't need another striker if Abraham goes.

We are clearly not able to spend millions and millions on new players and we have decent strikers in Davis and Kodjia to play that role.
We MUST sort out the defence, DCM positions as a priority. I firmly believe that we can still make the playoffs if we don't replace Abraham but spend the money on 3/4 quality defenders at this level*

*Dependant on Grealish returning at the end of Jan. 

3 minutes ago, deeps said:

Maupay would walk in to our team if/when Tammy goes. 

We won’t pay £15m*

* we can’t. 

I'm afraid you won't get him then, as a club we set our price and rarely budge on it.

Just now, jonjon said:

I'm afraid you won't get him then, as a club we set our price and rarely budge on it.

We can’t pay the £15m pal. I used to work on the area of Brentford so know a bit about the club. No way you’d budge and why should you. 

1 minute ago, deeps said:

We can’t pay the £15m pal. I used to work on the area of Brentford so know a bit about the club. No way you’d budge and why should you. 

We need to set our prices high as we can't generate income on gate receipts that you do, our ground only holds 12,000, we might do a bit better when we move into our new purpose built ground next year.

4 minutes ago, jonjon said:

The only comparison between the two of them is they are about the same size, Maupay is a more skillful player, busier on the ball, aggressive, seems to find space out of nowhere,  great passer of the ball, runs the channels well, quick of the mark,  he can also head the ball as well,  his goal return is 16 so far, considering we haven't had a very good season so far it's a great return, he has become a bit of a cult figure with us and we would all be sorry to see him go, but we have got a couple of youngsters coming through our production line via the B team who look very promising as well, our scouting and recruitment system seems to work very well for us, and makes us a few bob when we sell on.

Thanks for the reply. He sounds like a good player and given that Smith signed him for you, you’d have to assume he’d be interested in him again. However as some other posters have pointed out, we need to get to the point where we are finding players like him before they are proven, as of course Brentford have become very good at. Who knows where we are scouting wise, it’s still very early days for the new regime. 

If we’re interested and he wants to come then it comes down to the ever thorny issue of money. There’ll be a price point as there always is. 

Anyway, with the obvious caveats, I hope the rest of your season goes well, with or without your current top scorer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Where have you got 15 million from? Didn’t you sell Ryan Woods for 7m?

£7 million was about right for him, it also came with a good sell on price as well. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maupay couldn't be further from what we need. A good player, granted, but a lot of our goals come from crosses and I can't see him winning much in the air..

We play most of our game passing on the floor, rather than crosses in the air, as we are not endowed with tall target men up front, That's why Hogan is not as effective for you as he was with us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Thanks for the reply. He sounds like a good player and given that Smith signed him for you, you’d have to assume he’d be interested in him again. However as some other posters have pointed out, we need to get to the point where we are finding players like him before they are proven, as of course Brentford have become very good at. Who knows where we are scouting wise, it’s still very early days for the new regime. 

If we’re interested and he wants to come then it comes down to the ever thorny issue of money. There’ll be a price point as there always is. 

Anyway, with the obvious caveats, I hope the rest of your season goes well, with or without your current top scorer. 

Our player recruitment consist of: 2 Directors of Football, Our Management Director, Head coach, and Our Owner, who supplies the funds!!, It's a complicated system driven by statistics and the like, We also have a network of scouts spread over Europe and Scandinavia, we actually tracked and followed Maupay for over a year before make a purchase, it's a system that works well for us, but might not suite others.

2 hours ago, choffer said:

I really don't see Maupay as being remotely good enough for Villa. I've no idea where the story came from initially - lazy journalism, idle speculation or an informed journo? From what I've seen of him, he's a half-decent championship striker.

...... seems a perfect fit with us then as - on a good day - we've been a half decent Championship side !

• Haha 1

We score a lot from crosses, true, but that doesn't mean they're headers. A good few are to feet.

And not that I'm pining for Maupay, but where has our budget been published?