January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

19 minutes ago, jonjon said:

We play most of our game passing on the floor, rather than crosses in the air, as we are not endowed with tall target men up front, That's why Hogan is not as effective for you as he was with us.

I wish we played more on the floor! I think Smith is starting to bring that to the side though. Some of the football we have seen since Bruce has left has been far better.
Just on Hogan, I think he is absolute garbage. I have no doubt he is suited to the passing style of play but when you can't even control a football, you ain't getting very far. I'd give him a way for a tin of beans if it meant his wages were off our books and I never had to see him run around aimlessly in a Villa shirt again. Actually, do you want him back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

The only comparison between the two of them is they are about the same size, Maupay is a more skillful player, busier on the ball, aggressive, seems to find space out of nowhere,  great passer of the ball, runs the channels well, quick of the mark,  he can also head the ball as well,  his goal return is 16 so far, considering we haven't had a very good season so far it's a great return, he has become a bit of a cult figure with us and we would all be sorry to see him go, but we have got a couple of youngsters coming through our production line via the B team who look very promising as well, our scouting and recruitment system seems to work very well for us, and makes us a few bob when we sell on.

As you mentioned also in another post, we arent really known for our "passing to feet" etc, Brentford appear to have worked towards the style and the players suit it, you have a very nice outfit, i would imagine a lot of teams in the Championship and lower are quite jealous of your ability sign and bring through previously not well known players, and get them playing attractive football, i know i look at Brentford and wish our club had half the brains and forward planning a club like Brentford has, although i am hopeful with DS and the new structure at VP we have turned a corner finally, however only time will tell, as i imagine it will take a couple of seasons to bed in (if we are doing it right).

In terms of Maupay, i honestly think he wouldnt suit our team right now (even though i would still have him with a view to us being able to play a certain way in the near future), he does look like a very good player, but we just dont have the volume of possession based/skillful players to be able to pull off the right style of play to suit him i dont think, the only caveats to that are Grealish, and probably El Ghazi/Bolasie, and maybe Lansbury if he can ever get a run going and play to his potential.

The rest of our team are broadly hoof merchants and cravens who we as AV supporters tend to believe they are a hell of a lot better than they are.

I cant decide if Hogan is any good myself, but i also concede that whether he is or isnt, we probably dont have the players to work to his strengths, however, i do think we "could" possibly do so to some degree with a fit Grealish and other competent players, i fear that even if we signed someone like Maupay, we would suffer the same issues as Hogan, at least until DS manages to bring in quite a few of his own types of players and get the system working correctly, the problem is a large proportion of the VP fan base isnt particularly patient, and we tend to lose our s*** very quickly after one or two bad performances, however i also have sympathy for us as a club, having to put up with the dross we have the last 5 years, both on and off the field, even myself as a Villa fan who really wants DS to succeed, has trouble staying positive due to the steaming pile of mess we have been through the last few years, its been a dis-heartening few years, no doubt.

However, i do believe the best chance we have to correct that over the next 12-24 months is with DS, and the management team, if they do what they say they plan to do, we are finally on the right track, but only time will tell.

Also, i see zero chance of Hogan going back to Brentford as a transfer or as part of a swap deal, they developed him, got their profit and moved on, and are developing new players, i do not believe for a second they would take a player back on high wages, whom they sold to us for a pretty penny, it just makes zero sense and would go against everything the Brentford system appears to stand for, i think some ppl here are just more hopeful than thinking straight :P

I also tend to think we probably cant afford your best players currently, we cant afford to spend 10m+ on players as far as im aware, but i wouldnt be unhappy to have Maupay, Sawyers, Mepham and that other defender off you? (not Barbet, the other one who is good), you have a very impressive system and you should feel pride that you have such a competent bunch running things.

Obviously if we could get sawyers or any of your other good players for the 3-6m mark, then of course i would take them :P

Hopefully in a couple of years we will be developing and finding our own gems though.......... :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

If Abrahams goes, then I would play Kodja up front, or if not Davis.

Abrahams going would free  up another potential loan, im not sure I wouldn't release Bolaise either, not sure he is worth £70k pw.

Get some youth and pace into the team.

Reece Oxford has fell out with WHU, and maybe if Abraham leaves Chelsk might want Hudson Odoi to have more games …...be nice wouldn't it

If Abraham does go, i would love to see Davis given a prolonged run if we cant find a suitable striker to buy.

I think Davis has the potential to be a really good player, if nurtured correctly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If Abraham does go, i would love to see Davis given a prolonged run if we cant find a suitable striker to buy.

I think Davis has the potential to be a really good player, if nurtured correctly.

Davis does have ability, you can see that but problem is he doesn't score enough, we need a striker to come in and start scoring from game one. We are to far behind the play offs to give him time to settle in up front and maybe start scoring. Kodjia will replace tammy and whilst he's nowhere near as good he will score goals. 

7 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Davis does have ability, you can see that but problem is he doesn't score enough, we need a striker to come in and start scoring from game one. We are to far behind the play offs to give him time to settle in up front and maybe start scoring. Kodjia will replace tammy and whilst he's nowhere near as good he will score goals. 

yeah you could be right, but personally i dont think we will get promoted this season, and every minute lost developing the right side and mentality, is time lost for next season when we need to hit the ground running.

Personally i would prefer giving Davis some time to see if he can fit in the team. (if i had to choose between Hogan, Davis & Kodjia)

But thats just my personal opinion.

On another note, watching some of Hogan's goals at Brentford, the guy is a very good finisher and has very good movement (at Brentford), i honestly cant see a player becomes crap overnight, it just seems we ruin a lot of players for whatever reason. (could be us ruining them, or them not being able to handle the pressure of a bigger club, or a mixture of both, dunno, but regardless, watching some of his goals at Brentford the guy can/could finish).

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Reece Oxford has fell out with WHU, and maybe if Abraham leaves Chelsk might want Hudson Odoi to have more games …...be nice wouldn't it

Hudson Odoi is leaving for Germany for big money

36 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I'd go with the false 9 to be honest.

With that, I am not referring to the system or the player role, I am talking purely about Scott Hogan.
He's the biggest false No.9 I have ever seen in my **** life.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

People turning their noses up at maupay? Come on now he would walk into this team. He is far better than that donkey Hogan. 

Based on the exact same criteria we'd have used to justify signing Hogan - one good half season.

Look how that turned out.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

People turning their noses up at maupay? Come on now he would walk into this team. He is far better than that donkey Hogan. 

He is very similar to Hogan especially in goal record as well. Who is to say Maupay isnt having a Hogan bit of form that got him a move to Villa

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

He is very similar to Hogan especially in goal record as well. Who is to say Maupay isnt having a Hogan bit of form that got him a move to Villa

My thoughts exactly, as fans we talk about how we need to change the way we buy players and how the old regime doesn't work but then we suggest throwing 12 million at the in form striker in the league. 

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Spot on. Also, we only need to look at the money we’ve spent on Hogan, McCormack and Kodjia (relative success). We’ve tried throwing money at the problem and it isn’t working. There will be zero value in the Maupay deal.

There needs to be a fresh and considered approach to transfers. Hopefully there is a structure being put in place to sign the “Maupay” from Saint-Étienne instead. Considering our links with some of left field targets in the media so far, I would say that is the case. Although linked to Maupay, I think it’s just 2+2’ing by journos. We’ve spend £££ on current flash in pan before and the Smith link.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Hudson Odoi is world class , very skillful & Sarri rate him as Pedro/William level , just reject 30m bid from Munich. So don’t think he will come Villa 

You realise what world class means right? the fact that I had to google his name to find out he's an 18 year old kid at Chelsea suggests he is nowhere near "world class". Why can't he get in the Chelsea team if he's "world class"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

yeah you could be right, but personally i dont think we will get promoted this season, and every minute lost developing the right side and mentality, is time lost for next season when we need to hit the ground running.

Personally i would prefer giving Davis some time to see if he can fit in the team. (if i had to choose between Hogan, Davis & Kodjia)

But thats just my personal opinion.

Very much this. As long as I can remember we've been trying to do quicky, expensive, short term fixes to fundamental problems. We should be thinking differently, and I honestly don't think we will get back to where we need to be until we do this right. Our typical approach has been to sign players from other clubs simply because they performed well there, not because they will suit our tactic and style of play. Hogan is probably the best example I can think of. Signing him to fit into our hoofball with Steve Bruce. Absolutely bonkers.  I also think there's a solid chance some of our youth players would have turned out differently for us if they got more senior football at an earlier time.

We just need a more sustainable approach and that includes giving young professionals like Davis a lot of pitch time. Suddenly it clicks and we got one very good player in the right age bracket with a lot of resale value. And it's not like he isn't already very good. In a 451 tactic you need hold up play and Davis is on another level compared to Kodjia. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3