Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We do seem to get caught in possession a lot from dead ball situations. Annoying that we lose possession almost immediately from a throw in, the goal today, there was a corner we had and they just broke. Really need to become better at these.

Watched the Leeds v Arsenal game, seemed as though Bielsa trained them how to take throw ins, how to create space and where to throw, wish we could do the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Guys just block him. Your life will be better for it. 

The next step in the 3-4-3 is to figure out how to counter attack out of the low block.  I know he doesn't have much of a choice but bringing on hourihane away from home in this formation just doesn't work. We need a pacey option that will threaten the back line of the opposition. Hopefully they address that this month.  

We couldn't get to there back line often.

The defensive situation was brilliant because for over three quarters of the game we were out possessed and playing as if we were down to eight or nine men.

The real problem here is why on earth is a possession based team being harassed so much, we are obviously not clicking properly as we should do. Our defenders pass the ball to our midfield and between them someone in defence or midfield really messes up that pass and there are more than a few culprits. Against premier sides at thus level we get punished every game playing the way we do. Our players just can't bloody pass, a few if them were screwing up passes way to easy and it looks like they are trying way to much on the simple pass. Many of the long passes were way over hit and because Leicester had the body's in the middle, it was easy to see they were going to be in possession way more than us once we knew our pass completion sucked.

Yes I have full praise for our Keeper Nyland and our back three, but there is no excuse for the lack of involvement from the midfield and frontline when it cam to attacking. This mess were putting ourselves in every second half should of stopped in some games by now but it hasn't. It's really costing us points and games and a half decent team will eventually break through and make us suffer.

I am hoping new signing of better quality will help to stop what is happening to us as much, I highly doubt it though for some reason.

We just arnt making life easier for ourselves and were praising a defensive display, yes against one of the top in the league but that's besides the point. The point is it shouldn't even be happening in that way, as much as it is nearly every game and we cant seem to stop it or see and end to this. 

I'm baffled that our training doesn't seem to be yielding positive results in passing and crossing, we look no different now as we did at the start of the season. Although I see improvements in the way that we do play, it all just isn't clicking and it's that passing that is letting us down bug time, under pressure we get so shut down that we can't recover from it for long periods.

I tell you what I don't envy our players, I would not want to be playing games in this team. I especially wouldn't want to be a keeper or defender knowing your midfield and frontline are going to be taking up positions most game in my box and making as many defensive tackles as what I'd be doing.

I also believe it's because we are not adapting, making changes to our formation in the second half, why we are getting bombarded. These experienced teams/players are adapting quickly to us, making life hell for us that we really need to mix things up at half time.

It's all that bad in the second half that I see what captain American had to face against the three helicarriers in the captain america winter soldier film, it's ruthless, relentless, energy draining, exhausting and mentally killing our players.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Leicester had 21 shots today. 23 shots last time we played them.

I guess it's a slight improvement.

Maybe go onto some Leicester forum and tell them they created less and scored less than last game vs Villa 

• Like 1

There's big positives to take from tonight.

We've just gone away to the second/third best team in the country with no striker, Neil Taylor and both CMs playing poorly. Make no mistake they really wanted that as well, they couldn't have named a stronger team.

We gave them their goal otherwise that was a 1-0 grub win.

I thought Heaton being out was enough to relegate us to be honest, but there's a smidge of hope it Nyland can play like that every game.

I didn't catch the match yesterday, but from what I can read on here we played a winger up top and did reasonably well. If it's the case that we look more or less the same with a £ 22 million striker or a winger up top, well then that's rather funny. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I didn't catch the match yesterday, but from what I can read on here we played a winger up top and did reasonably well. If it's the case that we look more or less the same with a £ 22 million striker or a winger up top, well then that's rather funny. 

As much as I want to give Smith credit for this, I think there were a fair few calling for El Ghazi to play a central striking role about 8 weeks into the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As much as I want to give Smith credit for this, I think there were a fair few calling for El Ghazi to play a central striking role about 8 weeks into the season. 

I still think Trez is more suited for that then El Ghazi. 

I think our new set up suits us defensively. However where we need to improve is too much dwelling in our own box at times and our delivery and working of set pieces has been poor for some time now. 

Agree on throw in situations we need to do some work on this. Sounds silly but marginal gains in these areas can be 2-3 poimts come the end of the season 

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I still think Trez is more suited for that then El Ghazi. 

Perhaps. Either/or really. Just anybody but Wesley. 

Hopefully we bring in another striker and a winger in this window because any which way round, it isn’t ideal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I didn't catch the match yesterday, but from what I can read on here we played a winger up top and did reasonably well. If it's the case that we look more or less the same with a £ 22 million striker or a winger up top, well then that's rather funny

Well it's a completely different formation than the one wes has been playing in majority of the season so a bit unfair to compare really. I thought Wesley looked great up front in this new system in the short time he had played In it. 

• Like 1

It was a good result and we were let down by a very poor error by Luiz. We could nit pick the passing being poor at times but ultimately this isn't a team of super talented and able players, we're not going to zip it around like Leicester who are much better.

The main takeaway for me is that 3-4-3 is much better, we look more solid and have more a clue of what to do with the ball. There was some really nice play at times as well. Get a proper striker in, get a proper winger in to take the likes of Trezeguet out of the frame, even a fully fit Drinkwater to step in for someone like Luiz and we will have a good shot at survival. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â