Dean Smith

Demitri_C

We're getting worse the longer into the season we go. I thought we started the season well, even if the results didn't show that. We competed and looked like a premier league team. That seems to have gone now. Ultimately the buck stops with the manager. 

• Like 1

He looks like he just hadn't a clue what to do on the touchline, no desire totally out of his depth. The recent win and draw were just papering over the cracks. Get rid asap. Our board were bloody clueless and decided to give him 4 bloody year contract. They probably can't get rid of him cos of ffp

Today is on Smith to a point, but then so was the win at Burnley and draw v Leicester away. 

We need reinforcements. We are without our keeper, best midfielder or any strikers.

Smith done enough to show me he's a good manager. The reaction to today is what will be telling.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Deano'sLob said:

it's really hard to find any positive to this display, not sure the selection helped anyone in the starting 11, not saying that the manager cant motivate the team to play one of the best in the league but something isn't right

Yeah he messed up today. My criticism of him is that he doesn't value aggression or physicality in midfield and we just keep trying to outplay teams that are much better than us. You have to be ugly and physical against teams like Citeh, give them a kick if you need to but we're just way too soft. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

We're getting worse the longer into the season we go. I thought we started the season well, even if the results didn't show that. We competed and looked like a premier league team. That seems to have gone now. Ultimately the buck stops with the manager. 

This is the worrying thing for me. 

I’m still not at the point of wanting him gone and we desperately need some reinforcements on the field, but we do seem to be getting worse and confidence on the ball is (Jack aside) non-existent. 

• Like 1

Just now, wazzap24 said:

This is the worrying thing for me. 

I’m still not at the point of wanting him gone and we desperately need some reinforcements on the field, but we do seem to be getting worse and confidence on the ball is (Jack aside) non-existent. 

A flaccid performance next week against Brighton would be damning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

Today is on Smith to a point, but then so was the win at Burnley and draw v Leicester away. 

We need reinforcements. We are without our keeper, best midfielder or any strikers.

Smith done enough to show me he's a good manager. The reaction to today is what will be telling.

Agree although I'm assuming you've forgotten about Grealish or meant central mid when you said without our best midfielder 

5 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

I think he's a good manager too, but I'm beginning to doubt he's good enough for the Premier League. 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yeah he messed up today. My criticism of him is that he doesn't value aggression or physicality in midfield and we just keep trying to outplay teams that are much better than us. You have to be ugly and physical against teams like Citeh, give them a kick if you need to but we're just way too soft. 

I’m with you here. 

It’s fine having belief in your players and your principles, but we’ve been very naive in thinking we’d be able to play our way to safety in every game, with a brand new team of inexperienced players. Not just Smith, but the whole management and recruitment team take some responsibility for that. 

We desperately need some pace and power. 

• Like 1

Should have gone after the watford game - he won’t be gone now ,  they will stick with him and we will go down with barely a whimper , losing the likes of McGinn , Grealish and mings in the process .

Edited by Eastie

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

This 100% for me

2 bookings all game, 1 of which for dissent is (as strange a thing as it is to say) not bloody good enough. there needed to be more aggression.

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

A flaccid performance next week against Brighton would be damning.

Next 3 league games are Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth we ideally need 7-9 points, but 6 has to be the min. I’d accept 4 if the performances improve, but less than that and sadly I don’t think he’ll turn it around. 

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

Next 3 league games are Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth we ideally need 7-9 points, but 6 has to be the min. I’d accept 4 if the performances improve, but less than that and sadly I don’t think he’ll turn it around. 

Watford made the change at the right time - waiting till February would be too late once the window is shut - I don’t think this board will sack him whatever happens now 

Â