Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Watford made the change at the right time - waiting till February would be too late once the window is shut - I don’t think this board will sack him whatever happens now 

I dunno, if we lose 2 out of the next 3 league games and the cup game, I think they might pull the trigger. 

The saving grace is, we are still only 3 points off 14th and if we could get 2 or 3 positive results from the next 3 games things will be looking ok again (BIG if I know)

I’m still of the opinion that if we could get the right players in over the next couple of weeks, we’ll be fine. 

I'm actually not as concerned with the possibility of relegation yet as others, although I admit it is quite likely. I just don't think its a sure bet we will go down with Smith. We're only one point off safety after all and as the past weeks have shown, we have the ability nick wins and stuff to keep us in the running.

But, I can't say I'd be happy with the mangement and coaching of this team even if we do stay up by the skin of our teeth. Its just horrific to watch and I have no reason to think the management team will learn from their mistakes.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

As long as we beat the teams we have to then he stays for me.

We were never going to get pts today and playing Drinkwater was the right decision to get him game time for games that mater. 

Continuing to play Hourihane and Taylor is bordering on sacking though

I was all for Smith but it's either accept we go down and stay with Smith or move on and bring someone in who can get the job done.

We stay Smith we drop, we change Coach and we may have a chance at surviving.

No quality player is going to trust Smith to keep us up, they won't join us, we need a quality Coach or Manager in now if we want to attempt staying up, keeping Jack and seeing better player than what we have.

11 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Next 3 league games are Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth we ideally need 7-9 points, but 6 has to be the min. I’d accept 4 if the performances improve, but less than that and sadly I don’t think he’ll turn it around. 

I remember what happened last time we had an easy run... Nothing will change under Smith.

Versus Man City:

Engels not in squad. (If he is actually fit and not in the squad, criminal)

Drinkwater given a start when not fit.

Targett fit and not in the squad?

Taylor playing.

Elmo over guilbert.

Good thing we loaned Reina.

Team doesn't press or close down, just stands off ALL THE TIME, thats even more criminal than the above, probably our biggest weakness.

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I was all for Smith but it's either accept we go down and stay with Smith or move on and bring someone in who can get the job done.

We stay Smith we drop, we change Coach and we may have a chance at surviving.

No quality player is going to trust Smith to keep us up, they won't join us, we need a quality Coach or Manager in now if we want to attempt staying up, keeping Jack and seeing better player than what we have.

We likely  drop if we stay with smith but let’s not forget the likes of tuanzebe , mcginn , mings , Grealish and Abraham were huge last season - we will not have any of those in the championship next season and will not be going back up under dean smith in my opinion 

• Like 1

We're not even the third team to lose to City like this, this season. Champions League sides have been hit for 5. Getting battered by these is somewhat of a tradition for us, even in the MON era.

It was way too easy for them and our lack of fight was shocking, but we were never going to do anything with Jack and Anwar up front against these pressing monsters.

I'm not losing any sleep over this result at all. Southampton for example lost 9-0 at home to Leicester and a couple of months later are rocking up 1 win off the European places. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I back Smith as much as possible but I don't think I've ever been more furious at a team selection like I was today. A complete shambles. 

Why on earth drop Guilbert after a great performance against Leicester? Elmo is an absolute mess and I have no idea what Smith sees in him. Why drop Trezeguet for the most gutless player in the squad Hourihane? The bloke should NEVER EVER start games. 

He conceded the game an hour before we kicked off. So disappointed in him. We need an absolute miracle this January because I'm seriously struggling to see how we stay up. If we don't sign a striker by next Saturday then Brighton will rip us to shreds. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We likely  drop if we stay with smith but let’s not forget the likes of tuanzebe , mcginn , mings , Grealish and Abraham were huge last season - we will not have any of those in the championship next season and will not be going back up under dean smith in my opinion 

This.

He had a ridiculous team compared to the rest of the Championship when we went on that run that probably masked his managerial inability. No chance he gets us up IF we keep him. 

Edited by jim

1 minute ago, jim said:

I remember what happened last time we had an easy run... Nothing will change under Smith.

To be fair Jim, I’m not one who thinks any game at this level is ‘easy’ and playing against your relegation rivals is arguably harder in some respects. 

But you do have to try and target wins agains those around you and If we were to get say, two wins and a draw, we’d be on 28 points from 25 games - which would be OK IMO. 

I do understand why people think it won’t get better and Smith isn’t the right man, I just don’t agree. 

• Like 1

City surgically destroyed man Utd other day didn't they, who were we to think we could get anything from this game, the top 6 teams are out of our league. On a good day we mite nick a point but today wasn't to be.

We have problems everywhere on the pitch, Scouting, Signings, Coaching, Fitness.

Our players are a mess at the moment and the many injurys we've taken has only added to the shakyness of our build.

My biggest concern about Dean is his substitutions. Today, Drinkwater was having a mare. But, he left him on and took off Luiz. I'm not sure why that was and can only think he felt it better for Drinkwater'S confidence to give him more game time. But, what does that do for Luiz's confidence? Nakamba can't feel too great at being dropped for someone who is brand new and hardly played first team football for 2 years. 

By dropping Nakamba and subbing Luiz he might make their heads drop and, if it does, he then relies on Lansbury, Hourihane and Drinkwater which is worrying. 

Dean, the back five will do us good against more ordinary opposition but you have to have a settled back five and stop changing it around. Also, you need to find a settled midfield. Leave Nakamba and Luiz to form a partnership and leave Jack to float around and get himself on the ball. Add two forwards to that and we will be OK. 

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

To be fair Jim, I’m not one who thinks any game at this level is ‘easy’ and playing against your relegation rivals is arguably harder in some respects. 

But you do have to try and target wins agains those around you and If we were to get say, two wins and a draw, we’d be on 28 points from 25 games - which would be OK IMO. 

I do understand why people think it won’t get better and Smith isn’t the right man, I just don’t agree. 

One win and a draw and we would be on 25 from 25 which is probably what you need to stay up. But 28 would be a lot nicer, agreed!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jim said:

We won 2 and lost 2. The 2 losses being against the 2 form teams over the past 10 games. No games are easy at this level.

Â