Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I didn't catch the match yesterday, but from what I can read on here we played a winger up top and did reasonably well. If it's the case that we look more or less the same with a £ 22 million striker or a winger up top, well then that's rather funny. 

This doesn't really appreciate the fact that Wesley looked quite a lot better in the same 3-4-3 formation against Burnley. We just won't know how Wesley would have progressed in this better set up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Well it's a completely different formation than the one wes has been playing in majority of the season so a bit unfair to compare really. I thought Wesley looked great up front in this new system in the short time he had played In it. 

He looked ok, and better. One of his better performances. But calling it great is a bit OTT in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This doesn't really appreciate the fact that Wesley looked quite a lot better in the same 3-4-3 formation against Burnley. We just won't know how Wesley would have progressed in this better set up.

It also massively simplifies all of the factors that go into a performance, especially a one off.

If you put me up front on my own but the other 10 players play out of their skins then as a whole we'd probably say the team performed well.

If you put the Brazilian Ronaldo up front in his prime but the rest of the team played absolutely **** dreadfully then we'd say it was poor.

The deciding factor between the good and the bad performance wouldn't be that I was a better option than Ronaldo

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I felt we missed Wesley, as much as i've lamented his performances, i think this formation would have really suited him, especially with Grealish more closer to him

• Like 1

ugh. why cant we have more than one grealish. We really would benefit from him sitting deep in midfield to take the ball off our defenders and provide the link from defence to attack. The quarterback position that England sometimes used with Beckham. Of course then we would miss his attacking abilities but watching Hause, and to a lesser extent Konsa, pass straight to the opposition was infuriating. And when they did complete a pass to Marvellous or Luis it was obvious how uncomfortable they were in receiving the ball while facing their own half.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's saying that Vassilev is the sort of player you'd get rid of on football manager.

He is probably on such a low wage. Are y'all really that cut throat when you play FM?

44 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Said in his replies it was Vassilev. Bit of a weird statement.

Well that tells you everything you need to know about that idiot then. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He looked ok, and better. One of his better performances. But calling it great is a bit OTT in my opinion. 

Nope, he bullied the Burnley defender and scored a goal. Was a very good performance and the reason why he got whacked. Imo

• Like 1

Well done DS.

I thought there were alot of positives from the 3-4-3. Trez and Grealish looked good and dangerous. I always fancied them to create something against that Leicester defence. El Ghazi looked good up front. From that position he doesnt have to defend. I believe he is an awful defender, and often has to do it when he plays wide positions. The two central midfielders, defensively, intercepted ALOT of passes, but then gave the ball away cheaply. But they helped the team look solid.

Guilbert looked like he could play the right hand side role very well. Both offensively and defending. 

The three centre backs looked comfortable in defence. But have to improve on the ball. But they did well. 

However, i thought we looked shaky on the left hand side of midfield.. Both defensively and not offering much in attack. This needs improving. 

I think we need to give Smith some credit. An away win at Burnley and a draw yesterday.  Are two very good results. 

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I didn't catch the match yesterday, but from what I can read on here we played a winger up top and did reasonably well. If it's the case that we look more or less the same with a £ 22 million striker or a winger up top, well then that's rather funny. 

Nah we really struggled to retain the ball up front. Wes was badly missed in my opinion and we could have caused their defenders more problems had he played. 

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

He is probably on such a low wage. Are y'all really that cut throat when you play FM?

Nah, you hold on to Indiana. I sold him for £13 million to Hull after a year or two. Great bit of business.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He had been playing better for a little while. Even against Watford. The team was dreadful though. 

I agree, but I wouldn't call it great. He had set such a low bar just the minimal effort and a few attempts on goals would make him look like a player with a future.  

Â