Dean Smith

Demitri_C

51 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

God some of you on here are so embarassing listen to yourselves and think where you were just a year ago and even getting tanked by the likes of us.If you hound a decent manager like Dean out of your club in such a short time I suggest you look towards the where the likes of Stoke or Forrest have ended up.There are plenty of Big clubs stuck in the lower leagues these days and all have been guilty of forever changing managers and ending up skint.If the worse came to the worse and you went down Dean could get you back up and stronger like Sean D at Burnley.FFS Big Sam 

And what about the countless examples of clubs who have changed manager and got themselves out of trouble?

End of the day what ever we do it is a gamble, stick or twist. But to suggest we should stick with him on sentiment or because “he’ll get us back” if we do go down because he did it before isn’t a great argument.

I don’t know how much of us you watch, if any, but we are getting progressively worse and it’s clear the dressing room as been lost. If we need a change for the good of the club then so be it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, penguin said:

And what about the countless examples of clubs who have changed manager and got themselves out of trouble?

End of the day what ever we do it is a gamble, stick or twist. But to suggest we should stick with him on sentiment or because “he’ll get us back” if we do go down because he did it before isn’t a great argument.

I don’t know how much of us you watch, if any, but we are getting progressively worse and it’s clear the dressing room as been lost. If we need a change for the good of the club then so be it.

He only got a new contract last month, if he’d lost the dressing room then he wouldn’t have got that or has he lost it in a month?  I only thought my relationships with ex’s went downhill that quickly.

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

There are two ways you can take that though.

I take it as a man who left nothing behind and didnt care long term for the health of the club. We just had that with Bruce and 10 years ago with MON 

1 hour ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Have thought this for a while. Use us a stepping stone to his Top 6 role. 

I’d like to think that whoever we appoint next will, over a period of reasonable time, take us to the top 6 ourselves. 

21 minutes ago, tinker said:

We need to buy championship players who fight for their team in January , if we go down and we are probably going to , we can compete in that league. If we go down with this team then we will stay down , Luis, Nakamba , Elgahzi , Elmo , Trez haven't got the heart for the fight it takes to succeed .

We’ve got a team of Championship players, they don’t fight and they aren’t good enough for the Premier League.

We need quality, and other than Grealish we have absolutely none. We also need a manager who sets up a team with some kind of purpose and plan to take on the teams we are playing. Currently we have plan A and nothing else.

• Like 1

Smith doesn't have an established system, there's no strong blueprint in his strategy. He relies on individuals, which has rightly been said here many times. Last season Jack came back and took us up. If we go down, and lose Grealish, how do you think Smith'll do then? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

We’ve got a team of Championship players, they don’t fight and they aren’t good enough for the Premier League.

We need quality, and other than Grealish we have absolutely none. We also need a manager who sets up a team with some kind of purpose and plan to take on the teams we are playing. Currently we have plan A and nothing else.

Their not championship players , they was brought from other leagues and Grealish Tammy and Ming's dragged them up. Sheffield utd have a team full of championship players who lack finesse of our players but have bags of heart and fight , we need a springling of these type of players .

• Like 1

I’ve calmed down a little now, but I still have the same unfortunate opinion that sadly Dean Smith and Aston Villa should part ways. If we can’t beat or even perform against the teams around us what chance have we got? Yes I’m thankful for what dean achieved and he’s probably hung himself out to dry as we came up a season to early, but we are Aston Villa, we are not in a great financial position and we simply can not afford to go down to the championship, perhaps indefinitely. We need to swallow our pride at giving him a new contract and terminate it, and  we need to have a fresh start in the new year. Sorry dean. Your be welcome at villa park anytime. 

Edited by Hobbit Feet

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He only got a new contract last month, if he’d lost the dressing room then he wouldn’t have got that or has he lost it in a month?  I only thought my relationships with ex’s went downhill that quickly.

No reason he couldn't have lost the dressing room in that period. Lots has happened since a month ago.

We’ve just played 3 of the most important games this season and Smith couldn’t even motivate any fight or belief into the players.

Tells me everything I need to know and that is, Smith isn’t up to the task at hand. 

• Like 1

Think sentiment is rulling people’s heads here, we’re getting progressively worse. That’s a sign of bad management, these players looked alright at the start and they’ve progressively gotten worse, that’s because they’re not being coached or instructed properly. 

His in game maganament is poor, his selections are poor,  persistence with Jack out wide. I see no intensity or attacking pressing that was the hallmark of last season I just see a gutless mess. One I’ve no faith in him to recover. 

I’ll forever be grateful for last season and I’ve probably given him 2-3 games more than I would another manager because of that. But something is plainly wrong and after the decade we’ve had I can’t stomach another relegation. With regret he has to go. 

The only thing saving him is, who is there to bring in? 

Edited by Fairy In Boots
  • Like 1

Talk of Smith getting the sack may be a moot point as he's just signed a new contract and the owners said he'd still have the job even if we went right back down.

I'm honestly of two minds on this. I really like smith, respect what he's done last year, he's a Villain, and I want to stick by him even when we look like the worst side in the division and he's not inspiring any confidence in players or supporters.

Pitarch and the scouting department deserve their share of scrutiny over what is looking more and more like a failed summer recruitment effort.

I'm waiting to see if/how/when Smith can get us out of this rut.

I hope we've got players lined up to sign on Jan 1. We need them in soon.

• Like 2

Â