Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We've just played three shite teams on the bonce and could only manage 3 points, hardly been a tough month and not clear how we turn it around when we are playing so poorly against shite who are in the mix to go down.

yeah thats the main issue, we have played the teams immediately around us, the teams we are fighting with to avoid relegation, pretty sure everyone agreed we needed a minimum of 6 points from the 3 games, if we could get lucky, possibly all 9.

We got 3, which is a terrible return, and frankly just not acceptable.

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Where do we start after reading through 4 pages.

Well the truth of it is, Smith has brought Championship football to the Premier League, without a decent striker (we had Tammy ya know). It shows now he has not adjusted to the League at all, playing the same tactics time after time, or reverting to some sort of defensive structure, which didn't work in the fizzy pop League never mind the Prem.

He has certainly run out of ideas (have you heard the post match interview), an I hope the Board are looking to replace him as we speak, I guess he will have the Burnley game, but if we don't show any commitment there there, I think the writings on the wall

As for those who are happy to go back to the Championship with him, are you mad!! This is surely based on sentiment, cause it won't do our club any good at all financially. It's okay a few of you agreeing with that Brentford fan, but no disrespect to him, Brentford haven't the ambition of AVFC who are now owned by Billionaires, sounded a bit small time to be fair.

We are building nothing here with Smith, we have regressed, 3-0 today against a 10 man Watford, (Wolves showed us how it's done against 10 champions last night), is unforgivable, an to blame the players commitment after was mind boggling, since he manages them. Even had a little dig at Grealish, for the first goal, which wasn't a great comment to make in public.

The players can't be feeling the love at the moment with his post match interview and I very much doubt from this, he is not going to turn it around, just like the when Lambert started to blame the players. There's certainly something going on behind close doors, an I think now it's gone a little to far for him to carry on.

So the players aren’t to blame today?  Yes Smith gets part of the blame of course but a lot of those players didn’t deserve their wage today.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We are in our poor run of form with some key injuries. We have also met the three shite teams at a time when they are all enjoying a purple patch! It is unfortunate but we have to turn it around quickly.

we are now more than 50% through the season, the shoulda/woulda/coulda arguments we were using in the first 10 games, just wont cut it now, if things dont improve immediately, we are going down, plain and simple.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

So the players aren’t to blame today?  Yes Smith gets part of the blame of course but a lot of those players didn’t deserve their wage today.

They gave Liverpool a good game without Grealish, so the quality is there. I agree the Players were not at there best today, not commited, but this is down to the manager.

Just now, Eastie said:

While smith deservedly is getting panned tonight let’s not forget JT too - what exactly does he contribute to the defences organisation? 

I presume he spends training sessions trying to get the numbers for their missus.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We've just played three shite teams on the bonce and could only manage 3 points, hardly been a tough month and not clear how we turn it around when we are playing so poorly against shite who are in the mix to go down.

This is the biggest issue right now, regardless of whether we stick or twist with Smith.  It’s how can we turn it around? 

I just don’t see how Smith will? Not with the current squad anyway. Are the players still with him? If so, be nice for our captain to perhaps back the manager in public in order to show some unity and desire to get through this. Smith read the team the riot act today, well I saw no improvement during the second half. 

Personally, I don’t think Smith can keep us in the division and we should act sooner rather than later. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah thats the main issue, we have played the teams immediately around us, the teams we are fighting with to avoid relegation, pretty sure everyone agreed we needed a minimum of 6 points from the 3 games, if we could get lucky, possibly all 9.

We got 3, which is a terrible return, and frankly just not acceptable.

I was told I shouldn't expect us to beat or draw better sides, despite us throwing points away against the likes of Arsenal, United et al, I was told it's the sides around us we should be focusing on. Now those sides are playing 'too well' and we shouldn't expect so much. Basically we have fans who will explain why we can't do anything other than go down. 

We're broken, done with.

If Smith can turn this around, he's a magician. That's the level of shite we're in.

It's not just a dip in form. We outperformed against big clubs until Leicester put a fork in us. Now we're underperforming, and the timing is horribly wrong. We'd been better off losing royally to Top 6 and being able to compete against these lot now.

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

This is the biggest issue right now, regardless of whether we stick or twist with Smith.  It’s how can we turn it around? 

I just don’t see how Smith will? Not with the current squad anyway. Are the players still with him? If so, be nice for our captain to perhaps back the manager in public in order to show some unity and desire to get through this. Smith read the team the riot act today, well I saw no improvement during the second half. 

Personally, I don’t think Smith can keep us in the division and we should act sooner rather than later. 

If we stick with Smith I believe we will go down, we may come back up, but I'm not convinced if we do that we will be well primed to stay up. This is because Smith isn't stamping any sort of sustainable and progressive identity onto the side. Where's the good football? Where's the high press, pass and move style? We basically have a manager who's plan A is quite literally 'give the ball the Grealish' and his plan B is basically an empty box. He's bereft of ideas.

Sadly I'm just not convinced Smith is the man for the future, not seeing enough evidence in terms of how we play to have the confidence in him at this level.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We're broken, done with.

If Smith can turn this around, he's a magician. That's the level of shite we're in.

It's not just a dip in form. We outperformed against big clubs until Leicester put a fork in us. Now we're underperforming, and the timing is horribly wrong. We'd been better off losing royally to Top 6 and being able to compete against these lot now.

We never really outperformed against the big clubs. I swear, people act like we went toe to toe with a high flying Liverpool side when the reality was we nicked a goal in the first half against an off pace Liverpool and held on for dear life as they sent wave after wave of dangerous attacks, the scoreline was fair all things considered. Does it really make much of a difference if they scored their 2 goals in the last 10 minutes as opposed to for example the first 10?

Essentially the same thing happened with Tottenham but worse for us. We lost against a 10 men Arsenal team who've looked extremely mediocre this season. Leicester and Man City obviously wrecked us. Chelsea deservedly beat us. United was the only game that I felt we actually deserved something out off, all things considered and again, we all know of their troubles with consistency this season.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

While smith deservedly is getting panned tonight let’s not forget JT too - what exactly does he contribute to the defences organisation? 

In fairness, JT is what, I to his second year of coaching?

As someone else said, he might have to go.

Problem is we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but something is terribly wrong in the camp.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They gave Liverpool a good game without Grealish, so the quality is there. I agree the Players were not at there best today, not commited, but this is down to the manager.

I have to take issue with that, how can commitment by an individual be somebody else’s fault entirely?  When I used to play back in the day with the other fatties on a Sunday my commitment wasn’t dependant on the manager but how hungover I was or how much I hated the opposition.  The manager telling me to play left wing or upfront, his pre match and halftime speech didn’t make that much difference. Their tactics made a difference but they barely touched how committed I was during game.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If we stick with Smith I believe we will go down, we may come back up, but I'm not convinced if we do that we will be well primed to stay up. This is because Smith isn't stamping any sort of sustainable and progressive identity onto the side. Where's the good football? Where's the high press, pass and move style? We basically have a manager who's plan A is quite literally 'give the ball the Grealish' and his plan B is basically an empty box. He's bereft of ideas.

Sadly I'm just not convinced Smith is the man for the future, not seeing enough evidence in terms of how we play to have the confidence in him at this level.

Spot on. Too easy to say " oh yeah but we are a promoted side " So are Norwich. So are Sheffield United. Both sticking to the same styles/philosophy that got them promoted ( with varying degrees of success mind but still ) We are one of the most mish mash, undrilled, badly coached , no discernible style of play sides ive seen in a long while. Why don't we go for Bielsa ? What a manager he is. Sure , they are flying high but why not ask. No harm in that.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In fairness, JT is what, I to his second year of coaching?

As someone else said, he might have to go.

Problem is we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but something is terribly wrong in the camp.

Why was JT even on the ticket in the first place. I found that extremely bizzare.  Even when it was looking like Henry, JT was still being talked about to come in. It seems that whoever got the job, he was part of the staff regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Spot on. Too easy to say " oh yeah but we are a promoted side " So are Norwich. So are Sheffield United. Both sticking to the same styles/philosophy that got them promoted ( with varying degrees of success mind but still ) We are one of the most mish mash, undrilled, badly coached , no discernible style of play sides ive seen in a long while. Why don't we go for Bielsa ? What a manager he is. Sure , they are flying high but why not ask. No harm in that.

Bielsa isn't a bad shout, somewhat mental, not rated by a few on here, but a better manager than Smith.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

I think the reason people are panicking is because we looks absolutely dreadful with no clear plan whatsoever. It's actually more damning than the results in a way.

That is absolutely it.  Compare to Norwich who are still actually bottom but playing well and looking together and threatening. 

Despite being below us you can see the plan and you wouldn't be suprised if they won a couple and got out of the bottom 3.   They would be mad to change manager now.

We are showing none of those things.  I can't see what we are trying to do and the players look spent. There is zero threat and no togetherness. 

It's not just the results it's the manner of our defeats and performances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â