Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If we stick with Smith I believe we will go down, we may come back up, but I'm not convinced if we do that we will be well primed to stay up. This is because Smith isn't stamping any sort of sustainable and progressive identity onto the side. Where's the good football? Where's the high press, pass and move style? We basically have a manager who's plan A is quite literally 'give the ball the Grealish' and his plan B is basically an empty box. He's bereft of ideas.

Sadly I'm just not convinced Smith is the man for the future, not seeing enough evidence in terms of how we play to have the confidence in him at this level.

I think this is the big problem, an is why he is getting nothing from the other players.

I mentioned in the match thread, Luiz barging for the penalty.  Now I don't for 1 second think he did it on purpose. But it was very amateur, an I think it shows a bit of disregard/respect for the manager.

• Like 1

I think we need a strong statement from the board. They either need to come out and strongly back Smith or get rid. The fanbase are all over the place and we need some strong leadership. Silence is unhelpful at this point.

• Like 2

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

I’ve always wanted Bielsa especially before he joined Leeds. I just don’t see it though. 

Read before he joined Leeds that he spoke with Swansea shortly after they got relegated. Knew a tonne about all their players. Who he wanted in, who had to go. They were a bit freaked out and didn't contact him thereafter.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

Read before he joined Leeds that he spoke with Swansea shortly after they got relegated. Knew a tonne about all their players. Who he wanted in, who had to go. They were a bit freaked out and didn't contact him thereafter.

Not called ‘el-loco’ for nothing. Our players would have to have their folders ready and be prepared to study and do extra homework 😂

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Stupidly bad management?

Don't know any other manager that would consistently play a striker like Wes. Have never seen it to be honest in the Prem. Still,  I don't think Smith has any idea how to play to his strengths, cause It's all about Grealish, although i'm not sticking up for him, his positioning is none existent. 

This should though be a warning sign to us fans. After half a season what the hell are they coaching into Wes. The coaching is either rubbish or he is not listening, an if he is not listening, he should have been dropped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I presumed we'd have a very up and down first half of the season while a lot of the new players got up to speed and Dean worked out his best eleven. I expected us to be close to the relegation zone but I thought we would be at least somewhat competitive by now.

Truth is we've played some good attacking football at times but even throughout our better performances we've never looked difficult to beat, we concede stupid goals late on and fail to see out games or beat ten men. But this seemed to be about fine tuning rather than a massive cause for concern.

Oddly McGinn started to disappear, Mings got his England call up but started to make mistakes and dwell too much on the ball. Wes proved more and more ineffective yet more and more undroppable.

Dean has no idea who his best midfield is, Nakamba, Luiz, Lansbury all rarely deliver any form or consistency. Connor scores and creates goals but does very little else. Trez and El Ghazi are also horribly inconsistent and Jota offers very little at this level. Kodjia rarely gets any pitch time and Elmo and Targett are both utter liabilities. Konsa is young and doing ok but still makes mistakes, Engels like Mings is liable to do something heroic one minute and then make a ridiculous mistake the next.

Heaton, Hause, Grealish are the only players recently you could say have put in some decent displays.

The moment the team selection came out today you knew we were playing not to win but to try and not lose and that almost always ensures defeat. Dean hasn't a clue what he is doing or what to do next. He's played all his cards and run out of ideas, the players aren't responding to him anymore.

I want us to do well under Dean, but I have no idea where we go from here. The players owe him a good performance but I think they have let their heads drop and no longer believe in what Dean is trying to do.

He doesn't handle interviews when he's under scrutiny very well at all, and that worries me. Can he handle pressure?

Like last season when Brentford played us off the park at their place and he got all defensive and basically took credit for the team he'd built at Brentford.

If we were Norwich we would have no excuse, they play good football, but you can see they just not good enough for this league. That should be us under Smith if fans are right about the players not being good enough. But we don't play good football and don't pick up the odd win against the top teams, an we look all over the place. that's not bad players that's bad management/coaching

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, bretonvilla said:

Tammy was responsible for us getting promoted ,,,,and we replaced him with ,,,,,,,,,,,,Wesley !

Tammy was playing with one of the best squads in the Championship, and also needed lots of chances to score (But he got them). Also had games when he couldn't hit a barnndoor with us.

Tammy now plays for one of the best squads in the Premier League, and also gets alot more chances and supply.

Also notr, he had loan spells in the Championship, and at Swansea in the PL (Where he was poor), however had the opportunities to develop.

Whether you think Wesley is shit or not. I genuinely don't understand why people can't understand the logic ffs.

It seems some of you genuinely think Tammy would be banging goals in left right and centre with these performances around him throughout the team ,🤣

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tammy was playing with one of the best squads in the Championship, and also needed lots of chances to score (But he got them). Also had games when he couldn't hit a barnndoor with us.

Tammy now plays for one of the best squads in the Premier League, and also gets alot more chances and supply.

Also notr, he had loan spells in the Championship, and at Swansea in the PL (Where he was poor), however had the opportunities to develop.

Whether you think Wesley is shit or not. I genuinely don't understand why people can't understand the logic ffs.

It seems some of you genuinely think Tammy would be banging goals in left right and centre with these performances around him throughout the team ,🤣

He would get more chances, cause the team would trust him more to finish. No one trust's Wes to do anything with the ball. I think also this is causing conflict in the dressing room, as we know certain players, including Grealish love a bit of Kodj.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He doesn't handle interviews when he's under scrutiny very well at all, and that worries me. Can he handle pressure?

Like last season when Brentford played us off the park at their place and he got all defensive and basically took credit for the team he'd built at Brentford.

Thats very Bruce-esque

he was saying just this week he “perversely enjoys the pressure”

Obviously we all want better than we are seeing but I think our squad is being severely tested, and it's coming up short - mostly because we had no squad at the start of the summer window. They need to sort it out, Smith too, and definitely with some signings, but sacking DS at this point? I don't feel it, at all. 

I've calmed down, gathered my thoughts a bit and I don't want him sacked just yet either. He has to be more ballsy with making early changes though. And if Wes continues to play full 90s every game then I'll change my mind quickly.

• Like 2

Â