Dean Smith

Demitri_C

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

A lot of players can have a couple of good games - consistency is what sorts the men from the boys...a couple of good games around the time of there debut with the club still on a high from last season is a poor indicator that they are 'good enough'  - I don't think they are 

...and whats the backstory to a £22m striker with 11 goals to his name ? - weve done some poor business but thats mind boggling - there has to be a non football reason for that fee 

I do agree, the problem is also Smith doesn’t know his best team. Hourihane should never of started today but because he scored 2 days a go Smith felt compelled to start him, but he’s not the sort of player who will dig in away from home in a tight game. Jota and Lansbury aren’t you to premier level. Why wasn’t Engles in the squad he’s probably been the most consistent CB, this is where I feel Smith is failing, he either doesn’t change the players or system or he does it at the wrong time and no in between 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think we were very fortunate to get out in only 3 years, and it nearly bankrupted us. There’s big clubs trapped down there too. I think it’s worth a knee jerk (maybe not right now, but soon if things don’t improve) if it gives us a chance to staying up.

Exactly what I'm getting at. It was devastating. We shouldn't be entertaining thoughts of a return to this strategy lightly. 

Worst case scenario, we stick with what's happening right now, we get relegated with a manager that already took us up with less. Not the end of the world imo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Exactly what I'm getting at. It was devastating. We shouldn't be entertaining thoughts of a return to this strategy lightly. 

Worst case scenario, we stick with what's happening right now, we get relegated with a manager that already took us up with less. Not the end of the world imo.

Except that the odds of a manager taking a team up after getting them promoted before ain't great. I'm sure the people who backed Neil Warnock and Alex Neil thought the same, before they were sacked first season back in the Championship

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I am not sure it’s that easy, the better players will leave and we’ll be scrapping for our lives all over again. 
I still remember the chant “we fancied a change, just for 1 year”. 
We spent a fortune scraping a way out by the skin of our teeth. We could be down there for a decade or more like Leeds, Derby, Forest, Blues

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We go down we lose the likes of Grealish , mcginn and mings without doubt - I wouldn’t back smith to get villa back up in the slightest . 

If we sack Smith it wouldn't have to mean going for someone like Moyes or Allardyce, there are plenty of other managers we could go for. If he was to go and I don't think he will, it wouldn't surprise me if we tried for Emery, he and Pitarch have probably crossed paths.

13 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The model that crippled us and got us relegated is very similar to the model that we're applying now. Who do you think we paid most our transfer fees for that season? It was all on young, foreign players that we intended to grow as investments and it got us relegated at the bottom of the league table. Only difference now is we've recruited relatively better in terms of our proven PL talent but that's it really. And management wise, I say this is the model Lambert was following back then, in fact there's a scary amount of similarities to Lambert now both on and off the field.

It honestly confuses me when people say we are following a different model. No, we're following almost exactly the same model we did back in those seasons, we're just trying to execute it better.

I agree. This is all very Gueye, Veretout, and Traore for me. 

6 minutes ago, jim said:

What’s baffling is wanting to stick with a manager that oversees us getting spanked every week. Just because...

Just because we were the third best team to be promoted, lost most of our best players and had to spend a fortune to fill the squad and try and get them to click and before Southampton game we were out of the bottom three.  We are struggling now but you don’t cut loose your manage at the first time of struggling.  I’m as angry as you you tonight but cutting Smith now is silly in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We should stick with the long-term strategy but not with Smith. One of the big pluses of the former is that the manager isn't supposed to be indispensable.

I prefer give Smith time but if this doesn't work then definite approach we need. Not some **** dinosaur like Allardyce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

If we sack Smith it wouldn't have to mean going for someone like Moyes or Allardyce, there are plenty of other managers we could go for. If he was to go and I don't think he will, it wouldn't surprise me if we tried for Emery, he and Pitarch have probably crossed paths.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We should stick with the long-term strategy but not with Smith. One of the big pluses of the former is that the manager isn't supposed to be indispensable.

With who then? Unless it was somebody class like Poch then I’m sticking with Smith....no thanks to journey managers.

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah - but Grealish came back - and mings was a £25m CB playing in the championship.

To repeat that in the prem we probably need to sign 3 players costing £30m each - from what I hear nothing like that is happening.

Mings was an unwanted cast-off at Bournemouth. Villa and Smith made him a £25m CB. There's no reason why the club can't go and find a couple of similar type signings in January. I think Purslow will have to revise his comments about not signing loans though. We don't need to repeat what we did last spring - we just need to snap out of the mire that we're in and get confidence into the players. Signing a couple of big personalities like we did last January will help along with him actually coming back from injury.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Just because we were the third best team to be promoted, lost most of our best players and had to spend a fortune to fill the squad and try and get them to click and before Southampton game we were out of the bottom three.  We are struggling now but you don’t cut loose your manage at the first time of struggling.  I’m as angry as you you tonight but cutting Smith now is silly in my opinion.

First time of struggling ? We’ve lost 7 of our last 10 games - enough is enough 

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just heard his interview blaming everything else, shouldn't have been a pen, Grealish was fouled, players were not good enough. I personally think the dressing room has gone, he ain't coming back from this. Even says Grealish kept playing when Targett had a hamstring injury, as good as blaming Jack for the goal. You can't start blaming your captain or main player in public, we'll be lucky to keep him for the rest of the season after that comment. I think he's done, he might have the Burnley game, if he is lucky.

Still got full respect for him getting us up from the Championship, but that was his level, his inexperience is showing in the prem.  Always said it was much to early to take the step up especially to AVFC  and it shows. Doubt he will get another job at this level.

It's my worry he's lost the dressing room. 

I know the masseur at Sheffield Utd, who was also at Wales, he was having a beer with Neil Taylor after the Sheffield Utd game, maybe sour grapes from Taylor (with him not playing) but he said that he thought Villa were certainties for relegation, the dressing room was split, the new foreign signings weren't arsed about the club and the positivity/camaraderie of last season just wasn't there anymore. Worrying.

I think we need Mings back ASAP, for all his little mistakes this season on the field we are definitely missing his leadership qualities. 

I've been a big fan of Smith and he does talk a good game as others have pointed out but he's not helping himself picking the same formation week in week out and if anything our form is getting worse each week which again, is very worrying. 

I expected defeat today but not in the manner it came about, we really need to see a response at Burnley or the pressure will really mount.

Â