Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, TRO said:

Its close....I still have grave misgivings about Taylor, despite his bit better form.

That could be 4-1-4-1 as you have it 4-1-2-3 it also easily morph in to 4-2-3-1 which I would favour.

However its only usually like that when you line up.....when the game starts and develops and players combative spirit is tested and players win or lose the battle with their opposite number the "in game management" as you refer to gets tested and challenged.It is not always followed due to other factors.

Instincts take over from instructions, tired legs defy discipline and the shape of the formation capitulates or morphs in to a survival mode......It is a natural trait to retreat when you are losing ground or territory, despite the instructions from the manager.

If a player is not good enough, its not really his fault as long as he gives his best.......all the instructions and disciplines in the world will not change that.

as an example........Pepe Guardiola will not make Taylor in to an Andy Robertson.

Klopp might though! 😉  No really I don't rate Taylor.

We were putting up similar numbers (not quite this dominant), as an average per game, way back when people started calling for his head in the Championship.

It goes to show results can be hard to come by, but if the performances are there, in the long run things will come good. Look at the run we ended up going on last season.

It will be much harder to emulate in the Premier League, but I believe in Smith and the squad we have.

UTV!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Yes, but we played with no kids from the academy, only senior players. That makes a difference, don't you think?

I agree we didn’t use any academy players and it’s always good to blood youngsters if possible.

However I think we were looking at the bigger short term picture, that a win would be good for moral. Add to the fact we were playing fellow PL strugglers and in a fixture, regardless of personnel, that is shortly to be repeated then I think winning last night’s game trumps youth development. Plus we shouldn’t use the chance to win one of the three competitions we’re in as purely a training exercise. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree we didn’t use any academy players and it’s always good to blood youngsters if possible.

However I think we were looking at the bigger short term picture, that a win would be good for moral. Add to the fact we were playing fellow PL strugglers and in a fixture, regardless of personnel, that is shortly to be repeated then I think winning last night’s game trumps youth development. Plus we shouldn’t use the chance to win one of the three competitions we’re in as purely a training exercise. 

A confidence boost and a way to increase competition for starting places. All good. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yes, but we played with no kids from the academy, only senior players. That makes a difference, don't you think?

The fact that we played mostly second string backup players makes a difference, don't you think?

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 17:09, villalad21 said:

Has nothing to do with the West Ham or Arsenal game.

I don't know you lot bring up last season all the time. You can only judge what's in front of you.

His in game management these 2 games has been disappointing and non existent.

I understand that, but my comment was in direct response to the ' run at the end of last season had nothing to do with smith but more to do with players hitting form' his change of formation and subs completely turned things at Rotherham  last season. 

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We played Brightons u23 team. 6 or 7 i think made their debuts.

We were always going to win that game.

4 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

It was our reserves against their under 21's. Means absolutely nothing other than that we won 3-1

In the Davis thread someone pointed out that he couldn't score against Brighton U15s y'day and it's proof he is impotent.

I disagree, they all did very well. You can only beat what's in front of you , so scoring 3 goals past  Brighton U12s is not to be scoffed at!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Smith has some massive selection headaches for this weekend. he's going to need a job lot of migroleave to sort this one out.

Connor must start!   but where will he be shoehorned in?

Davis's all round game is better than wesley....surely the stats guys will be telling him this but....

Does Smith have the stones to drop wesley?... .especially after a tap in against the arse.

Will Smith show true managerial acumen by switching to a formation so all his big weapons are on the pitch......or be a fabio cappello and annoy everyone by sticking to his stubborn 4-3-3

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Smith has some massive selection headaches for this weekend. he's going to need a job lot of migroleave to sort this one out.

Connor must start!   but where will he be shoehorned in?

Davis's all round game is better than wesley....surely the stats guys will be telling him this but....

Does Smith have the stones to drop wesley?... .especially after a tap in against the arse.

Will Smith show true managerial acumen by switching to a formation so all his big weapons are on the pitch......or be a fabio cappello and annoy everyone by sticking to his stubborn 4-3-3

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2902e2f849b61bd64b26

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, handsworthlion said:

I understand that, but my comment was in direct response to the ' run at the end of last season had nothing to do with smith but more to do with players hitting form' his change of formation and subs completely turned things at Rotherham  last season. 

We were a man down and Rotherham were leading the game.

That just a case of "let's just go for it we got nothing to lose" and it's a totally different scenario to defending a lead and reacting to pressure.

I understand your example but to me it's not comparable. Different scenarios.

Smith's in game management has to improve or we're in trouble.

Edited by villalad21

I think the importance of in-game management is slightly overblown. Yes it can be crucial to some games, like we saw against Arsenal but it seems to be something that even the best managers haven't mastered. Pochettino, for all his accolades and reputation as one of the best managers in the world is regularly criticized by Spurs fans for his in-game management. Actually coaching the team to be better is far more important, and in the long-run will reap more rewards compared to making the right subs at the right time. Very few managers are tactical masterminds like Mourinho or Klopp. I'm very happy with Smith in that regard and I'm sure he'll learn from the Arsenal game anyway.

• Thanks 1

Â