Dean Smith

Demitri_C

45 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

To be fair that is an excellent goal.

If the players gel fully and get some confidence to not sit back at times when we should be aggressive, we will be a fun team to watch.

• Like 3

It’s like that bit in Enemy at the Gates. Our boys just need to stop shitting their pants when it gets hairy. Some suggest shooting the general or deporting families while the answer really is that heroic examples are needed that the others will follow. 

Hourihane and Lansbury need to come off the bench much earlier too. And less El Ghazi. Also Grealish should stay closer to Wesley if we’re playing Marv and McGinn. Trezugeut and Guilbert will be a fine pairing.

45 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

It’s like that bit in Enemy at the Gates. Our boys just need to stop shitting their pants when it gets hairy. Some suggest shooting the general or deporting families while the answer really is that heroic examples are needed that the others will follow. 

Hourihane and Lansbury need to come off the bench much earlier too. And less El Ghazi. Also Grealish should stay closer to Wesley if we’re playing Marv and McGinn. Trezugeut and Guilbert will be a fine pairing.

That first line has to be the best load of bollox I have read in ages. Drama at it's finest and Enemy at the Gates as the modern day Alamo. Not bad! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, useless said:

Amazing that we fail to get a result against one of the worst away teams in the leage in Palace, lose at home to Bournemouth, then again to ten men West Ham, and nobody says anything about Smith's future, and rightly so, even if the results are underwhelming. Yet as soon as we lose away to Arsenal a team that could finish top four most probably top six, and suddenly everyone is talking about him losing his job.

I assume you mean worst home teams where we played them? They were 18th in home form last season but 6th in away table

10 hours ago, TRO said:

But that is only evident after wins........he may get all his game management right, but the players let him down,when we lose.......how is that reconciled or established?

I think it is all too easy to blame or praise managers on a game by game basis.....its over a long period they should be appraised.

Players let him down?

Our midfield were knackered mate, yet he didn't make the obvious changes until they went 3-2 up. And that was around the 85th minute. Much much too late.

I was really disappointed by Smith on Sunday and i am still fuming. He just has to learn, and learn fast.

I really like him, but he can't keep doing mistakes like this or we're going down.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Players let him down?

Our midfield were knackered mate, yet he didn't make the obvious changes until they went 3-2 up. And that was around the 85th minute. Much much too late.

I was really disappointed by Smith on Sunday and i am still fuming. He just has to learn, and learn fast.

I really like him, but he can't keep doing mistakes like this or we're going down.

Why do our mids keep getting knackered unlike most mids from every other team??? I keep reading this excuse

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why do our mids keep getting knackered unlike most mids from every other team??? I keep reading this excuse

Nakamba didn't have a pre season.

Jack and John have played every single minute except the cup game with no rest.

Our players aren't super humans they get tired like everybody else.

Edited by villalad21

Despite what Smith says he did make a very negative sub by bringing in Elmo for trezeguet. 

He should have taken marvellous off as he was obviously tiring and brought on hourihane. 

The Conor and lansbury subs were little to late. You have to take responsibility for the arsenal one it was your fault.

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Despite what Smith says he did make a very negative sub by bringing in Elmo for trezeguet. 

He should have taken marvellous off as he was obviously tiring and brought on hourihane. 

The Conor and lansbury subs were little to late. You have to take responsibility for the arsenal one it was your fault.

Luiz would also be a perfect option to replace either Jack or McGinn at 2-1. But he wasn't even on the bench...

22 hours ago, screwdriver said:

a)atrocious subs - subs killed any momentum Villa have against spurs, palace and arsenal

b) tactically poor - always the same set up 4-3-3 doesn't know when to tweak. no retaliation when opposition flex their formation. FACT!!! we will have our botty cheeks partied dry at the ehihad!

c) indecisive - woulda shoulda coulda make a sub????    got away with it against everton when 2nd half it was backs to the wall. got punished against spurs and arsenal

d) lunatics running the asylum! - he said gazi and mings sorted out their little tiff themselves. he should of left them both in no doubt who was in charge by having a press confrerence like bowyer and dyer.

e) questionable purchases in the transfer market - lambert-esque foreign gambles with a couple of brentford boys thrown in. Where are the marquee signings with prem experience? Who's going to score the goals to keep us up? midfielders?

f) bottle job changes - always winger for winger subs. never mixes it up nothing to make an impact. can't spot a tired player.

H)doesn't know how to integrate connor hourihane, the most dangerous weapon we have when it comes to set piece delivery. (either this or he doesn't think he's fast enough for prem) FACT!!! GARETH BARRY played 600 prem games despite having as much pace as a hyudai getz! in the kick and rush era of the prem.

Yeah but he's a decent bloke and a Villa fan so lets go down and do it all again. was so nice against rotherham wasn't it. %&*$£"%^&*&'s!!!!!!!!!

You always negate any ACTUAL good points you might have made in your posts, with some incredulous hyperbole.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

As @TRO pointed out in another post, it's because we lose the ball so damn much they have to work twice as hard just to keep things level.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Whilst I think we could have had better use of subs in one or two games this season, we mustn’t lose sight of the very clear fact that as a team we have had points stolen from us by blatantly wrong and direct game changing decisions. It’s arguable but I count 5 clear decisions against us in 6 games this season that have altered the outcome of games. That’s FIVE in SIX fixtures. (1) We started with McGinn getting bundled over in the box against Spurs and nothing given, that would have potentially put us 2-0 ahead. (2) Phillip Billing not being sent off in the 1st half in the Bournemouth game, subsequently subbed 5mins later at halftime allowing Bournemouth to continue with 11. (3) Lansburys disallowed goal in the last minute against Crystal Palace. (4) David Luiz jumped & dived for a penalty awarded against us at Arsenal, allowing Arsenal to equalise. (5) A blatant penalty not given to us for handball at Arsenal. 

We should have had 3pts from the Arsenal game, we should have had 1pt from the palace game. It’s arguable but we would likely have got a point, possibly a win, at home to Bournemouth had they have gone down to 10men for an entire half. We’d currently be sitting around 7th were it not for wrong decisions against us. People say these things even themselves out over a season, but can anyone point to a single decision so far this season that has benefitted us in the same way it has benefitted others against us? I can’t. And that’s important when judging our performances this season. For me there has only been one game where we looked like getting nothing and that was the Palace game where we were absolutely robbed of 1point.

Truthfully the masuaku sending off probably wasn't a red card. Obviously we didn't benefit in the Same way but it was a game changing decision and we may have lost without the suspension. 

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you see the energy they put in?

The commentator on sunday kept referring to it and he will be in a good position to judge comparatively. 

Different playing styles will put pressure on certain areas, ours just asks a lot of this position to keep the system working well.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Players let him down?

Players were knackered but their goal came from 3 individual mistakes. Stop talking out of your pooper. 

18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That run had nothing to do with Smith's in game management but all about players hitting form.

something about "wanting your cake and eat it" there.

FWIW....I have never believed that the manager has as much influence in a game on the day as much as some fans think......some influence of course, but not as much as some state.

For Me the Manager sets the tone, he buys the players to fit his style, he trains them, he guides them, he instructs them....yes he may change them i.e subs.

The players make the decisions during a game, they make the runs or not, they make the challenges or not , they make the shots or not, they work hard or not.

Yes the managers can change them......particularly IF they feel they have better to bring on.....if they don't ,they have to wait until the next window.

Edited by TRO

36 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Players were knackered but their goal came from 3 individual mistakes. Stop talking out of your pooper. 

But if Smith had picked a high energy and tenacious Luiz for the subs bench and replaces a tired Nakamba and Jack after the 2-1 goal and replaced them with Hourihane and Nakamba we could possibly keep the ball better when retaining it and keep Arsenal more contained.

It's ifs and buts, but that's what i would do. Get Trez off for Jota in the 65th minute and bring on Conor and Luiz for Nakamba and Jack around minute 75-78

Edited by villalad21

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't think its fitness in the direct sense.....I Think we rely on certain players too much, particularly in relation to keeping the ball and they get worn out late in the game......I think we have a situation, where we have more than enough players who find keeping the ball and denying the opposition access to it, difficult......They can pass it, but can't keep it , the kind of thing I am referring to is what Gareth Barry, Andy Townsend, and Dennis Mortimer would do. Some would say oh yeah, but we haven't got that quality.....well there's your answer...we need that quality.

The cup games are interesting for me, where a lower team can work their socks off in one game and beat a top team, but ask them to do it ever week and they can't.

We are working hard for 70 minutes, but can't sustain it, because the quality is not in certain areas to control the game and give the players a breather......We can't contain teams very well.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

Â