Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Players let him down?

Our midfield were knackered mate, yet he didn't make the obvious changes until they went 3-2 up. And that was around the 85th minute. Much much too late.

I was really disappointed by Smith on Sunday and i am still fuming. He just has to learn, and learn fast.

I really like him, but he can't keep doing mistakes like this or we're going down.

I don't think those changes are as obvious as you make out.......let me remind you ,Hind sight is an exact science.

I have to admit, I didn't see the whole game only the highlights, so I am speaking in general, win, lose or draw......John and Jack are our 2 best players IMO, there lies a problem, in most other Premier league sides, they would be decent run of the mill. These guys are knackered after 70 minutes trying to show the quality and intensity the team requires.....The burning question is do you have a knackered Jack or John or a lightweight someone else.....In some peoples view, it could be six of one and half a dozen of the other.....so to me its not as obvious as you suggest, its subjective more than obvious to me.

My view is......I don't think the midfield is right, It can attack but can't defend or contain, particularly in the late stages of a game against arguably better opposition.......If you can't contain or defend a lead, you drag the whole team in to it. The attacking side of our midfield, can effect success by raiding and having moments......I am talking about the midfield work that involves tackling closing down pressing and denying the opposition the ball....I don't think we have enough quality of personnel to do that.

Having said all of that.....I am still unsure of the abilities of Nakamba and Luiz......The sort I am thinking about, I am not entirely convinced, but its still early to judge.......I would still be inclined to put both of them in, in a 2 behind a Jack and John and another.

Finally, I will say this ; if anyone thinks you can come in to this league and out score the opposition as a general strategy, I think that is fanciful. In some quarters they label it the best league in the world, where anyone can beat anyone.

So Far, we have only failed to score twice and only conceded in the one game against Palace and that should have been a draw.

We are not far away from playing sufficient to survive....meaning points more than aesthetics.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Based on?

What is his Style of Play?

Douglas has been used as the first man in the midfield and as the second one, with less defensive responsibilities and more freedom to carry and conduct the ball, which the English name ‘box-to-box’. And this was definitely the best option. Not just because he protects the ball very efficiently when he runs with it, but also because he does it with plasticity and elegance, always with his head up, studying the possibilities while maintaining the pace.

Douglas also has an incredible easiness to play both on the center and on the flanks (maybe because of his right-back experiences as a youngster). And when he goes to the sides, one thing he likes to do and does very well is to play long diagonal balls to the other side of the pitch, looking for a less pressured partner. In his debut in the Spanish La Liga against Malaga, Douglas occupied the right position on the midfield for 20 minutes, but don’t be surprised if Girona’s coach, Pablo Machín, uses him in different places with different functions. It will not mean that he has doubts about his player. Douglas has enough versatility for many roles.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/09/17/scout-report-douglas-luiz/

Fwiw he started his career as a RB apparently.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But if Smith had picked a high energy and tenacious Luiz for the subs bench and replaces a tired Nakamba and Jack after the 2-1 goal and replaced them with Hourihane and Nakamba we could possibly keep the ball better when retaining it and keep Arsenal more contained.

It's ifs and buts, but that's what i would do. Get Trez off for Jota in the 65th minute and bring on Conor and Luiz for Nakamba and Jack around minute 75-78

Imagine Luiz comes on and gives away a penalty. Conor comes on and scores a deflected own goal. Individual errors are individual errors mate. 

Once we cut them out (and the Refs and VAR does their jobs correctly) we'll be fine. We outplayed Arsenal for 45 mins. 

4 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Imagine Luiz comes on and gives away a penalty. Conor comes on and scores a deflected own goal. Individual errors are individual errors mate. 

Once we cut them out (and the Refs and VAR does their jobs correctly) we'll be fine. We outplayed Arsenal for 45 mins. 

Sadly this will never happen.

5 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

My God.

Yeah imagine subbing off tired midfielders and replacing them with fresh legs. Them making a mistake still makes it the right call in hindsight.

It was an obvious change to make. We could all feel and sense Arsenal scoring and surprise surprise they did. And not until and much too late after Arsenal scored 3-2 that's when Smith finally put his head out of the sand and made the subs.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Seeing him play.

Doesn't look natural and comfortable in that dm role at all. Nakamba played miles better in that role.

Luiz looks better when getting further up the field.

I don't disagree with your opinion, just wondered what 'supposed to' meant as it looks like hes mostly played as a DLP.

There is definitely an argument his attributes suit box to box better though and I'm hopeful that our coaches will train and play players in the position they feel they are best suited for rather than stubbornly sticking to a role because it's what they bought a player to play.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

don't disagree with your opinion, just wondered what 'supposed to' meant as it looks like hes mostly played as a DLP.

There is definitely an argument his attributes suit box to box better though and I'm hopeful that our coaches will train and play players in the position they feel they are best suited for rather than stubbornly sticking to a role because it's what they bought a player to play.

Liked what i've seen from him so far and in my opinion our best midfield would be Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn. Jack is well capable playing as a lwf.

I would really love to see that team someday.

-----------------------Heaton-------------------------

Guilbert---Engels--Mings-----------Taylor

-------------------Nakamba--------------------------

-------------McGinn----------Luiz-------------

Trezeguet-------Wesley----------------Grealish

In my opinion it's our best starting lineup, just hope we will actually see it one day.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As @TRO pointed out in another post, it's because we lose the ball so damn much they have to work twice as hard just to keep things level.

When you explain it so concisely......It becomes pretty more obvious.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Liked what i've seen from him so far and in my opinion our best midfield would be Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn. Jack is well capable playing as a lwf.

I would really love to see that team someday.

-----------------------Heaton-------------------------

Guilbert---Engels--Mings-----------Taylor

-------------------Nakamba--------------------------

-------------McGinn----------Luiz-------------

Trezeguet-------Wesley----------------Grealish

In my opinion it's our best starting lineup, just hope we will actually see it one day.

Its close....I still have grave misgivings about Taylor, despite his bit better form.

That could be 4-1-4-1 as you have it 4-1-2-3 it also easily morph in to 4-2-3-1 which I would favour.

However its only usually like that when you line up.....when the game starts and develops and players combative spirit is tested and players win or lose the battle with their opposite number the "in game management" as you refer to gets tested and challenged.It is not always followed due to other factors.

Instincts take over from instructions, tired legs defy discipline and the shape of the formation capitulates or morphs in to a survival mode......It is a natural trait to retreat when you are losing ground or territory, despite the instructions from the manager.

If a player is not good enough, its not really his fault as long as he gives his best.......all the instructions and disciplines in the world will not change that.

as an example........Pepe Guardiola will not make Taylor in to an Andy Robertson.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Were gonna fall out if you dont start learning to use subs. Even against Brighton 2nd team you make 1 sub at 75 minutes much to late McGinn's knackered.  

Goal Grealish, see subs work 😁

Comfortable win, but it's a fair point and a pattern we keep seeing.

What the **** has McGinn got to do to earn a rest? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

But if Smith had picked a high energy and tenacious Luiz for the subs bench and replaces a tired Nakamba and Jack after the 2-1 goal and replaced them with Hourihane and Nakamba we could possibly keep the ball better when retaining it and keep Arsenal more contained.

It's ifs and buts, but that's what i would do. Get Trez off for Jota in the 65th minute and bring on Conor and Luiz for Nakamba and Jack around minute 75-78

For me mcginn has to come off there. He couldn't run and was a big reason why we conceded the second as he could press guendouzi.

Â