Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In the Davis thread someone pointed out that he couldn't score against Brighton U15s y'day and it's proof he is impotent.

I disagree, they all did very well. You can only beat what's in front of you , so scoring 3 goals past  Brighton U12s is not to be scoffed at!

I don't disagree with that at all, They did what they needed to do and won fairly comfortably but i'm not sure you can really take much from the result other than the actual result. The pre season friendlies showed that most of our squad players are too good against lower league opposition & youngsters & this was more of the same really.

Had we lost last night i would have been quite concerned as we had a fair selection of experienced players with 200 or so international caps between them going up against a bunch of kids, 7 of which were making their senior debut.

As soon as i saw the teams it was straight to skybet to chuck a few quid on us winning.

If we had any sort of even half prolific goal threat up front i would have expected us to stick 6 or 7 past them given the amount of chances we created

Edited by LakotaDakota

This post transcends all topics and threads, but everyone's opinion is different and you aren't going to change anyone's mind with a few sentences on the internet. What will be, will be, we just have let it wash over us, and make the best of it that we can.

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I don't disagree with that at all, They did what they needed to do and won fairly comfortably but i'm not sure you can really take much from the result other than the actual result. The pre season friendlies showed that most of our squad players are too good against lower league opposition & youngsters & this was more of the same really.

Had we lost last night i would have been quite concerned as we had a fair selection of experienced players with 200 or so international caps between them going up against a bunch of kids, 7 of which were making their senior debut.

As soon as i saw the teams it was straight to skybet to chuck a few quid on us winning.

If we had any sort of even half prolific goal threat up front i would have expected us to stick 6 or 7 past them given the amount of chances we created

I'm guessing the joke was missed....

8 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Smith has some massive selection headaches for this weekend. he's going to need a job lot of migroleave to sort this one out.

Connor must start!   but where will he be shoehorned in?

Davis's all round game is better than wesley....surely the stats guys will be telling him this but....

Does Smith have the stones to drop wesley?... .especially after a tap in against the arse.

Will Smith show true managerial acumen by switching to a formation so all his big weapons are on the pitch......or be a fabio cappello and annoy everyone by sticking to his stubborn 4-3-3

Your posts are fine art, so I'm reluctant to engage with them rationally, as I know you exist in a higher dimension where logic has been rendered obsolete by alien technology.

...but, Capello was a very successful club manager, and nobody will complain if Dean Smith turns out to be to Villa what Fabio Capello was to Milan.

Besides refusing to learn English, Capello failed with England because being a national team manager is more about playing the cards you've been dealt. You don't really have time to implement a system.

Club managers have more time to work with their squad and can afford to think longer term. They can afford to be a bit more purist about their system or philosophy, if the club is willing to back them.

I firmly believe that there will be a point this season where everything clicks for this team, and we go on a very good run of results. That will be largely down to the fact that Dean Smith has persisted with the same system, meaning all the new signings can integrate quickly into the side.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think the importance of in-game management is slightly overblown. Yes it can be crucial to some games, like we saw against Arsenal but it seems to be something that even the best managers haven't mastered. Pochettino, for all his accolades and reputation as one of the best managers in the world is regularly criticized by Spurs fans for his in-game management. Actually coaching the team to be better is far more important, and in the long-run will reap more rewards compared to making the right subs at the right time. Very few managers are tactical masterminds like Mourinho or Klopp. I'm very happy with Smith in that regard and I'm sure he'll learn from the Arsenal game anyway.

Agreed.

It's also funny how all the people who are so wise with hindsight at the moment, don't apply that hindsight a bit further back to all the times they were embarrassingly wrong last season.

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear Dean say that we should've had 6 points from the last 2 games. He could've easily made excuses, but he wasn't having any of it. It's why I have so much respect for him he says it how it is none of this 'it was Arsenal at the Emirates, and we are  still gelling and we're only a newly promoted club' dribble.

I love Dean Smith as our manager, and I am optimistic of what this squad is capable of but it is not outrageous or unnecessarily negative to say we have blown a massive chance to get off to a flyer of a start.

We need to beat Burnley, otherwise the pressure dial will go up a notch! Does that mean we're doomed? Don't be silly..... but it would just as silly to think that another loss and everything is hunky dory.

• Like 3

I don't really think we have deserved that much more.

Against Spurs we deserved to lose

Against Bournemouth we deserved a draw

Against Everton we deserved to win, possibly a draw would be a fair result as well

Against Crystal Palace we deserved to lose

Against West Ham we deserved a draw

Against Arsenal we deserved to lose, possibly a draw

But regardless you deserve everything you get in football. If you can't finish chances, are making mistakes or lose concentration that's all on you. You make your own luck.

Edited by villalad21

I think the lack of confidence DS is having is preventing him from trying to play his way. If you go back to last season, yes we had Grealish out. But we had couple of games such as Hull when we were down 2-0, then with a bit of confidence we got back to 2-2. 

When things are going wrong, Smith start to be more cautious, which is fair enough as it could get worse.

I think whenever we’re out of bottom 3 then we might start playing much better.

On 26/09/2019 at 17:15, screwdriver said:

Davis's all round game is better than wesley....surely the stats guys will be telling him this but....

A quite important stat for a striker is that scoring thing, and Davis never looks like doing it. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

But he's fantastic hold up play makes others around him better. Kind of like Heskey did throughout his career.

I think people also forget that Heskey scored an awful lot of goals when he was young. 

I'd be surprised and delighted if young Davis went on to have half the career Heskey did. 

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Saw this in FB. Not a bad alternative shout imo.

Obviously null and void if our wingers pull their fingers out but great alternative formation I think!

It's way too narrow and wouldnt work imo. I'd be shocked if we saw that formation at any point this season 

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Obviously null and void if our wingers pull their fingers out but great alternative formation I think!

FB_IMG_1569605076441.jpg

I’d swap Hourihane and Grealish, but I don’t hate it.

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FB_IMG_1569605076441.jpg

Can Welsey finish? Surprised he hasn't had any minutes if he can.

• Haha 1

Â