Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think this result was entirely on him not changing things.

We were shit for the vast majority of the second half, and he just stood there and thought "yeah, nothing I can do to change this"?

Again. His game management appears to be lacking, and it's cost us again. 

Honestly think John Terry needs to step up and take more responsibility here. Of course DS has final decision but Terry needs to be in his ear constantly to make switches when opposition are well on top as Burnley were.

Terry played under world class managers at Chelsea and likes of Mourinho and Ancelotti weren't slowing in making changes well before the 70th minutes. Terry has dined at the top level and no one else at the club has that so he needs to raise his voice in second half imo.

Frustrating as there is much to like about other aspects of our play compared to our last prem season when we were awful.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Honestly think John Terry needs to step up and take more responsibility here. Of course DS has final decision but Terry needs to be in his ear constantly to make switches when opposition are well on top as Burnley were.

What does that say about Smith?

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They'll stick with him I reckon, not least because of that bad patch we went through at the beginning of this year and then ended up winning 10 on the bounce.

Not sure. A Lerner type owner would but don't think these two will mess around. They could've given Steve Bruce up to xmas last season if they really wanted to considering all the disruption in summer 2018. We were also still only 2-3 points off the play offs at that point.

They decided change would work in long run and it paid off.

I'm not saying sack him btw but he needs a win badly in the next two otherwise we'll be stuck in bottom 3 going into Man. City-Liverpool-Wolves-Man. United-Chelsea run of games which won't be a good look at all.

Just now, bobzy said:

I don’t think in game management cost us here. After 80 minutes, we scored a second goal - we should have been able to hold on to a lead then.

It’s yet another defensive lapse, unfortunately. 

I agree. He changed it up and we outplayed Burnley today.

He is clearly not doing great at the moment but he is a fast learner. He, like the players, is on an upward learning curve. He needs to learn fast or it will already be too late but we really need to avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater! Fulham should have stuck by their man last season, they didn’t and it was curtains.

Every game seems hard to take at the moment but we really are not getting the points that we deserve. That can change very quickly. Huge couple of games coming up but 6 points is achievable. That would certainly be a good start.

This team has no chance to stay up. We've had a fairly favorable schedule to open the season and we've pissed it away.

17th was always the best we could hope for and we have thrown away 8 points in the 2nd half of 7 matches. We'll all point to this start when we get relegated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think in game management cost us here. After 80 minutes, we scored a second goal - we should have been able to hold on to a lead then.

It’s yet another defensive lapse, unfortunately. 

Was more the 1-1 really. Well on top first half but Burnley came out flying in second, corners, were pushing up the pitch more and winning the 50/50s as they did for their 1st. Of course opposition losing is always going to have a spell but they were certainly looking more likely to score and it duly happened.

No subs in that period. No Davis coming on much earlier and see if he could hold the ball up better. No Trez to give us fresh legs on counter (El Ghazi played well first half but then faded badly). Only change made was one we had to with the Targett injury.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

This team has no chance to stay up. We've had a fairly favorable schedule to open the season and we've pissed it away.

17th was always the best we could hope for and we have thrown away 8 points in the 2nd half of 7 matches. We'll all point to this start when we get relegated.

This season is reminding me of 12/13 under Lambert. What at the time people thought was a decent transfer window quickly showed we were short in key areas. We were competitive in games but couldn't get many points on the board for various reasons. Also glimpses from likes of Lowton and Benteke there were decent players in the squad.

That season showed there's always time to turn a season around. We were properly dead and buried from that xmas period and still stayed up relatively comfortably in the end. Worry for me is I don't see a front three that will fire us to safety like Gabby-Benteke-Wiemann did in second half of the season. January transfer window will be huge. Can't afford to just sign more "project" players in final third.

I'm interested if he can't see things going wrong? Can he not see Wes losing every ball? Hourihane running away hiding? Taylor being Taylor?

We look great at times but there's periods of muck during when he can make changes to switch it up and just... doesn't. I don't understand?

Luiz for Hourihane was needed. Keinan for Wes was needed. Taylor shouldn't have been near the matchday squad this season.

Christ one more winger or striker would have made such a difference for us.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was more the 1-1 really. Well on top first half but Burnley came out flying in second, corners, were pushing up the pitch more and winning the 50/50s as they did for their 1st. Of course opposition losing is always going to have a spell but they were certainly looking more likely to score and it duly happened.

No subs in that period. No Davis coming on much earlier and see if he could hold the ball up better. No Trez to give us fresh legs on counter (El Ghazi played well first half but then faded badly). Only change made was one we had to with the Targett injury.

I think he could have made some earlier changes, but that didn’t cost us. Burnley did better second half, but didn’t look that great tbh.

Our defence looks generally great but has switched off and been punished for almost every goal we’ve conceded this season. They need to cut it out. 

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm interested if he can't see things going wrong? Can he not see Wes losing every ball? Hourihane running away hiding? Taylor being Taylor?

We look great at times but there's periods of muck during when he can make changes to switch it up and just... doesn't. I don't understand?

Luiz for Hourihane was needed. Keinan for Wes was needed. Taylor shouldn't have been near the matchday squad this season.

Christ one more winger or striker would have made such a difference for us.

I said it last week but seems to be a British manager trait to leave tired players out on pitch for as long as possible. Battle in trenches mentality if you like. Let's remember O'Neill was like this. Would wait until 70th minute and it would just be a basic Heskey on for Carew like for like swop or putting on a central midfielder for another.

Might be a reason hardly any British manager hardly ever manage at the real top level nowadays, slow readers of the game compared to the elite ones.

• Like 1

Â