Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The best laid plans are going to go to shit when a knuckledragger runs on to the pitch and sucker punches your star player.

We played fairly poorly, but the changes in the second half made the difference, credit where it's due.

We go again.

• Like 3

Certainly a lot to digest. My overarching feeling is that this was a great three points under appallingly hostile circumstances.

First half was indeed pretty poor, we were out muscled and bossed in midfield, Birmingham were first to every loose/ second ball, which was incredibly frustrating, however despite this we had the better chances. Second half was much, much better and it was really McGinn who changed the game for us. He was a tremendous presence and as well as Whelan has done of late, he was very poor today and McGinn showed precisely why he should start ahead of him.

Mings was an absolute colossus, I though House did well as well, Grealish was very good, even better given the circumstances. Ultimately there was much more fight and confidence on the ball in the second half and that made us deserved winners.

3 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

That's what you said yesterday, so which is it? We just have to win, or the scoreline doesn't matter?

Just give it up, it's getting boring now.

Given ALL the circumstances it is a great win.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

That's what you said yesterday, so which is it? We just have to win, or the scoreline doesn't matter?

Just give it up, it's getting boring now.

Obviously results is the most important thing, but you cannot ignore leaving out your best midfield player in a derby is a big mistake.

It's not rocket science mate, you cannot leave out your best players. Yeah Whelan has played ok as of recently but he's been nowhere near McGinn's level of performances.

But to be honest, Smith would of seen how much better player McGinn is when he came on and what big of a difference he made. There is no chance Whelan is starting next game.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Obviously results is the most important thing, but you cannot ignore leaving out your best midfield player in a derby is a big mistake.

It's not rocket science mate, you cannot leave out your best players. Yeah Whelan has played ok as of recently but he's been nowhere near McGinn's level of performances.

But to be honest, Smith would of seen how much better player McGinn is when he came on and what big of a difference he made. There is no chance Whelan is starting next game.

I think if McGinn had started there would've been a good chance we'd have been down to 10 men after the Grealish incident. I like McGinn, but he'd just come back from his second yellow card suspension this season, a Derby game isn't the type of game to throw someone of his temperament straight back into the team, especially after the midfield played so well last week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We won. You're talking shit 

Would have won more if picked the best team.

If playing Mcginn, Grealish, Abraham and Hourihane i don't see anyone outscoring us. Goals is what Dean Smith is known for i see no benefit in him going away from that strategy.

The "We'll score more than you" approach when Grealish is fit actually works, i see no reason to go away from that.

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Would have won more if picked the best team.

If playing Mcginn, Grealish, Abraham and Hourihane i don't see anyone outscoring us. Goals is what Dean Smith is known for i see no benefit in him going away from that strategy.

The "We'll score more than you" approach when Grealish is fit actually works, i see no reason to go away from that.

Enjoy the win? Let all the anger go.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I think if McGinn had started there would've been a good chance we'd have been down to 10 men after the Grealish incident. I like McGinn, but he'd just come back from his second yellow card suspension this season

Same could be said about Roy Keane in the early 2000's against Arsenal.

That doesn't mean you don't play them, why? Because they are potential game winners and it's a risk worth to take.

Edited by villalad21

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Same could be said about Roy Keane in the early 2000's against Arsenal.

That doesn't mean you don't play them, why? Because they are potential game winners and it's a risk worth to take.

Whelan had possibly his best game in a villa shirt last time out in a game where we demolished the opposition inside 45 minutes. Even if you think McGinn is the better player, you can at least understand why he started surely?

Also the idea that our approach is just "we'll score more than you" laissez faire no defence is a bit off the mark. Smith and Pitarch etc. had to rebuild the defence in Jan, they have, and even with defensive injuries we got another clean sheet today. 

Really còutching at straws to find sticks to beat Smith with at the moment.

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 2

While i'll obviously see McGinn ahead of Whelan in the team when all fit I really cant see the point of arguing over a hypothetical scenario where we could have potentially won by a larger margin (or not) had he started.

Great 3 points, perfect outcome with Grealish winning it for us.

Chuffed!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I would argue had McGinn started we would have won more easily.

It's easier to win when you have better players on the field, not rocket science really.

Delph did an ok job last year at lb when they had injuries but once Mendy got fit Delph was out of the team. That'w what you have to do as a coach, you have to be ruthless sometimes. Yes Whelan has been alright, but McGinn is 10 times the player he is and should have started.

I do wonder why you haven’t got the Managers job yet, you seem to have all the answers.  Win the local derby, still not good enough for you, we should have won easier.  That’s the type of Manager we need

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

No i'm reflecting on the game as a whole and the fact is we were poor until McGinn came on and completely changed the game for us.

You can't leave out your best and most hard working midfielder in a derby game, it's complete madness.

He did and we won. End of

If he played McGinn instead of Whelan you be moaning that he changed a team from a 4-0 win or something dull like that

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If he played McGinn instead of Whelan you be moaning that he changed a team from a 4-0 win or something dull like that

I can just see it now. Mcginn starts and we are too exposed in midfield and they score a few. Whelan comes on second half to shore things up but it’s too late.

The one remaining Smith hater would be having a field day!

I personally think we should have started with Mcginn. Buts its ludicrous to be having a dig at Smith for his decisions when we just won!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Imagine if McGinn started and the game played out the same way. "Sure we won, but how can you change the midfield after the last game? The players will be totally demotivated, big mistake from DS, showing he will always play his favourites"

• Like 3

Â