Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

@DaveAV1 @Dave-R @Dave J

Will the real VillaTalk Dave please stand up, please stand up, please stand up..

We're are all one in the same lol..

Are we confusing you Rigo??

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Too many people called Dave in this thread...

Regards,

David from Rugby.

Have you noticed how many Dave's are in films or on tv shows, we dominate like aliens secretly taking over the world.

When you have a tv channel called Dave, that just says it all doesn't it, we will soon have a Dave thread on villatalk. 

Alot of David's like to be called Dave too lol..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So hope we can stick it to forest and not because I don't like them but because I'm not keen on who comes with them, yes O'neil I am not a fan..

Still have not forgot the day you just up and left us in a mess..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not a fan of MON either.

Achieved nothing with us really. We had the 3rd highest wage bill at the time i believe and he couldn't even get us into the top 4.

Hasn't he walked out on numerous clubs since, isn't it his perk when things don't go his way..

To many of our Ex's in this league with us, yes it sounds like I'm pointing towards the bad relationships we've all had lol. Who said villa hadn't been around the block a few times, what a stud that Aston Villa is 😂....

Edited by Dave-R

Glad that we have gotten the result against two promotion rivals and are still in the mix. We needed them.

Puts us in position to push on against Forest and close the deficit to a single win between us and a play-off place.

Over the months of Smith's tenure I think he has shown enough to be afforded the confidence to take us forward for the foreseeable future.

We've had some spells of poor play and that has cost us in regards to points accumulated. We've also dropped points when the balance of play was in our favour. Not good.

However, we have also seen evidence of a team that can and will take it to the best in the division and does so playing to create opportunities on the ball.

This requires taking measured risks, the skill to execute, cohesion of team through understanding of roles, and the implementation of strategy as guidance.

I would like to share with those who have expressed doubts about Smith that in 2016/17 Bruce took over in October, the same month as Smith did last year.

Bruce had greater margins of defeat against the lesser clubs than what Smith has, on the flipside, Smith has had greater margins of victory and against top clubs.

Bruce had only two victories of a margin greater than a single goal in the same time that Smith has achieved five victories of two goals or more.

Bruce had four losses of a margin greater than two goals, whereas Smith has two. May I remind people Bruce so nearly got us promoted in his following season.

Also, while not drastically different in points gained on the League Table, Smith is on course to achieve a better record than Bruce did in his first season.

I hope you see where I am going with this by now, which brings me to my final point. Not only are results better under Smith than they were under Bruce, the approach is too.

On the ball, we are league leaders in nearly every area of the game under Smith. Chances created, shots, possession, key passes, pass accuracy, crosses etc.

Without the ball, we are relegation material in defensive areas of the game. Rectifying this will be pivotal in whether Smith takes us to promotion. No avoiding that.

Under Bruce, it was the opposite in his first season. We had the 5th best defense in the competition, yet were relegation material in attack. 21st for goals scored.

Bruce went on to finish 4th and make it through to the play-off final. Middlesbrough and Fulham were the equal best form side going in to play-offs in 2017/18.

So if Smith is doing better than Bruce, and Bruce only fell at the final hurdle, you can see my hope that we may have someone who can get us across the line in Smith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2019 at 08:45, Jay.P.A said:

Would never happen mate. He is already a big part of the future of Aston Villa, along with Grealish. He is absolute class.

You say that but I feel he may hinder Whelan's development.

I say get Glenn tied down and move McGinn on. Look to the future man.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Hasn't he walked out on numerous clubs since, isn't it his perk when things don't go his way..

He actually underachieved in my opinion. We were among the top 3 highest spenders in the league during the MON era and we barely finished above Everton who spent nothing in comparison.

On 11/03/2019 at 18:03, Stockbridgehibby said:

Yet another Hibs fan here, coming down for the Middlesbrough game.  Looking forward to seeing Grealish, Abraham and of course SJM - assuming he gets his game.  Difficult to criticise Dean Smith for not starting him at the weekend, following the thrashing the previous week, but I would be genuinely concerned if McGinn were now thought to be a mere impact player or a super-sub or whatever.  If he has a fault it may be that he tries to do too much; his best form at Hibs coming when he was complimented by excellent midfielders such as Scott Allan and Dylan McGeough.  There was also a suggestion on here that SJM might have been dismissed, had he started, with comparisons being made to Roy Keane.  While he certainly gets far too many yellows, I think Hibbys would be surprised that he might be regarded as some sort of hot-head: he was never red-carded at Hibs (the only one in 2015 was rescinded), and survived many, many Edinburgh derbies without getting himself sent off.  Best thing about him was he played his heart out at Hibs, even when he knew he was going - he’ll do the same for you, and will see himself playing in the Premiership with Villa, not Leicester (so long as he is allowed to start occasionally!)

I don’t think there’s any danger of this.

Although he would have walked back into the team, I think it would have been bad man management to drop anyone after an excellent display against derby.  Quite correctly Smith have the same players a chance to continue where they left off, and when one wasn’t performing to the same standard as the game before, he made the change.

i fully expect JM to regain his starting place after he proved his value to the team once again.

I think Smith can do it tonight against forest. There main concerns are Lolley and Grabban, right both of which I wouldn't mind bringing to villa if we're in the championship next season. I am confident Hause and Mings can neutralise forest, I hope Mcginn causes them some headaches and Grealish does his business.

Ten games left lads and we could be within 1 point of a play off place tonight if I read the league table properly that is those above don't win and lose..

I think If we can maintain this team as it is with the players all fit, we would have to be very unlucky not to go and win the playoffs this time. Some of those teams are starting to tire, yet some of our players have come back and we look revitalized..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I think Smith can do it tonight against forest. There main concerns are Lolley and Grabban, right both of which I wouldn't mind bringing to villa if we're in the championship next season. I am confident Hause and Mings can neutralise forest, I hope Mcginn causes them some headaches and Grealish does his business.

Ten games left lads and we could be within 1 point of a play off place tonight if I read the league table properly that is those above don't win and lose..

I think If we can maintain this team as it is with the players all fit, we would have to be very unlucky not to go and win the playoffs this time. Some of rhose teams are starting to tire, yet some of our playwrs have come back and we look revitalized..

Isn't Grabban injured?

38 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Isn't Grabban injured?

You maybe right, that's a spot of luck because wasn't he a pain for us last game?

Whelan is out by looks of it, wonder why, green on his first start..

https://mobile.twitter.com/talkdants/status/1105903413680918528?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Edited by Dave-R

Just now, Zatman said:

swapped with McGinn. he is on the bench

Could be a couple of good starting moves putting Mcginn and Green on, which means we have to hit the game with everything because second half may slow down is what I'm expecting..

Â