Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Oh sorry forgot you're not allowed to be critical or disagree with Smith's decisions if we win on this site.

Hadn't Grealish scored on that wonder strike it would been another draw and you would have a whole different tune. That's the problem with the majority of the fans on here, they don't actually analyze the game, they are so stuck up on the scoreline and ignore everything else.

In the same hypothetical parallel universe hourihane might've missed the bar and scored. The keeper might've fumbled Green's shot etc etc.

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I remember one chance which El Ghazi missed. Aside from them we created nothing until McGinn came on.

When you bring on better players you create more chances, who would have thought?

So you didn't see hourihane hit the bar then?

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Until McGinn and Green came on we created next to nothing, i remember El Ghazi's chance but nothing else really comes to mind.

Bringing on McGinn and Green changed the game for us, McGinn is  a class player and Birmingham couldn't cope with him.

And the man that made those changes is Dean Smith so I assume you think he did well? 

That was not a game of football for the faint-hearted. Small Heathens were doing everything possible to get stuck into our players and stop us from playing. Smith's order of the day was to keep our heads, drown out the noise from the sty and, be professional. The players did exactly that! Once we got past their blatant fouling we showed our mettle and true class, which will always be more than those from Small Heath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I love Smith's comments about the 15,000 idiots who cheered off the 12th "man". Best comment of the day! 

Although it was exaggerated there wss 100s of blosers cheering and laughing thinking this kind of behaviour is acceptable. 

Tbf there does seem to be some decent blosers out there saying how disgusted they are. I feel for those ones. They really should boycott that club and join a better and less vermin supported club

• Haha 1

Are we still feeding him!?

Credit to Smith for the last 2 games and results. The team really gave it there all yesterday which was great to see after recent rumours of certain players creating divisions in the camp. They certainly looked united yesterday. 

It’s going to be another tough game against a very good Forest at home motivated by MON.  Smith will know we can take the game to them and control it but they are deadly on the break.  Whilst we need wins I would probably take a point.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I think if McGinn had started there would've been a good chance we'd have been down to 10 men after the Grealish incident. I like McGinn, but he'd just come back from his second yellow card suspension this season, a Derby game isn't the type of game to throw someone of his temperament straight back into the team, especially after the midfield played so well last week.

If I remember things right (quite hard in such an incident-filled game) McGinn did have a go at getting carded after he came on. I’m pretty sure I saw him pushing Graig Gardner away while he was standing over Jack after one of his fouls (ruby tackle or one of the others).

Not the most sensible of actions in such a highly charged atmosphere.

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I was one of them and il admit that you cannot beat a manager that has just got 2 wins on the bounce. - Fickle indeed.

However, I feel before Jack returned from injury the pressure was certainly starting to mount and voices of discontent started to rise from many fans (myself included) and it came as no suprise. I also feel these previous two wins wouldn't be wins without Jack being back.

There is no doubt, most managers would suffer without a player of Jack's quality but I certainly would expect to see more nous or a plan B from a manager in the players' absence in which DS failed to show and deliver at times. Witnessing that week after week starts to cause massive frustration amongst us fans and it showed.

That said, we have turned a corner and let's enjoy the two wins we have gained in the last 8 days and turn our attention to collecting 3 points against Forest.

UTV

I think that criticism of lack of a plan B is fair enough Andy. But there are mitigating circumstances in that we have been short of personnel to carry out the sort of plan B that DS would like to play.

The summer gives him time to further strengthen the squad both in terms of quality and depth. The argument that good managers get the best out of what they’ve got, is only valid to some extent. As you rightly say any manager would miss a player that is so much better than anything around him at this level. Championship teams don’t have a back up Jack Grealish warming  the bench. 

There are all sorts of problems with the squad that are smoothed over when Jack plays. The difference with him and without him is inevitable, but at the moment possibly too wide. Hopefully we can narrow it and of course hang on to him during the summer. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Until McGinn and Green came on we created next to nothing, i remember El Ghazi's chance but nothing else really comes to mind.

Bringing on McGinn and Green changed the game for us, McGinn is  a class player and Birmingham couldn't cope with him.

What I seen was something different then because it felt and looked like we deliberately sat back and took what Birmingham could throw at us. So second half came and It was let the artillery fly, untill the last ten mins when I think the nerves started to creep in because we were 1 goal in it and that i think was totally understandable.

If that was the game plan which I felt it was to test city's fire power, then we truly passed that test defensively and it was a job well done.

If that is what Smith is doing in his games, I don't mind at all because it's wearing teams out early to let all we have go in an all out barrage assault in the second half..

Edited by Dave-R

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that criticism of lack of a plan B is fair enough Andy. But there are mitigating circumstances in that we have been short of personnel to carry out the sort of plan B that DS would like to play.

The summer gives him time to further strengthen the squad both in terms of quality and depth. The argument that good managers get the best out of what they’ve got, is only valid to some extent. As you rightly say any manager would miss a player that is so much better than anything around him at this level. Championship teams don’t have a back up Jack Grealish warming  the bench. 

There are all sorts of problems with the squad that are smoothed over when Jack plays. The difference with him and without him is inevitable, but at the moment possibly too wide. Hopefully we can narrow it and of course hang on to him during the summer. 

It's vital I think that the owners come out and stamp any offer for Jack out regardless of our situation on FFP. A statement I think will come at some point as soon as offers come in saying hands off. If we're to compete again in football the only way to compete is to keep our best and say hands off and build around  our best.

I am probably aiming high here but I think Tammy will be ours next season if we go up, if not he will be ours on loan again since Chelsea's transfer ban..

Bournemouth I think will sell Mings to us no problem if the offer is right. Between now and summer we could generate enough money to buy Mings for sure without selling our Jack or John..

We have the right people in charge of villa to bring in the funds, to bend the rules a little where needed. although we've had some losses, it still looks like we're alright in FFP and working with in it to get the books back on track.

37 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Too many people called Dave in this thread...

Regards,

David from Rugby.

Hello Dave from Rugby, I'm Paul (my friends call me Dave), and I work in Rugby!!

• Haha 2

Â