Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, ChrisVillan said:

Negative. I gave up my season ticket for grown-up reasons and I didn't want to pretend to know what I was on about. Don't see enough games nowadays. 

So you are on the same level of Chris Sutton, Jermaine Jenas or multiple other pundits ;)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He better make it. We have a much better squad than Blues. Embarrassing if we don't beat them

I dont understand how somebody can get embarrassed from a sporting contest between a bunch of highly paid people vs another bunch of highly paid people

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont understand how somebody can get embarrassed from a sporting contest between a bunch of highly paid people vs another bunch of highly paid people

The truth is that a point at Blues these days is a half decent point - however for us it's not enough. We simply have to win from a mathematical point of view, but also to ensure momentum and this is key now - stays with us - as we push for that 6th place summit.

22 hours ago, Wezbid said:

I love how people think they're doing him a favour by maybe giving him a summer window. How generous of you. Absolutely pathetic. Modern football fan mentality that generally gets clubs nowhere. 

He's not beyond criticism but I'm sick to the back teeth of this throwaway, chop and change way that doesn't allow for any sort of roots or long term plan to bear fruit. 

Smith is just another manager/head coach - If he doesn't get results he gets sacked - as did those before him and as will those that follow. 

We don't actually chop and change manager much more than any other club - Can you suggest a villa manager who has been sacked too early in recent times ? 

Leeds and Watford have gotten through a quota managers in recent times - doesn't seem to have derailed there long term plans much - personally I think the turnover of managers is dependent on the quality of the guy you appoint - appoint poor managers and you will get through them more quickly.

23 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually think Blues have some decent players. They massively under achieved last season.

Its going to be a tough game.

Agree. Even with all the financial stuff they are having to go through they are still doing well , for them. Gonna be a hard game.

• Like 2

I hear the comments of Dean Smith in regards to Conor Hourihane.....where he praises his work and says he is not fully appreciated by the fans....I also have a notion that Dean likes these kind of players ( nothing wrong with that) hence his signing of Tom Carroll.

However it concerns me a bit ( maybe unnecessarily) that he never seems to have the same leaning towards a DM.....Who IMO is central to a team being resilient and combative.

It matters not that the DM is my favourite position, its the engine room where most things derive from....I would suspect that Dean would rarely wax lyrical of the Busquets or Fernandino's or the Michael Carricks in a team, not to mention the Viera's and Keanes.

I guess  we all have our fetish's in what positions we favour.....but in order to win things, there must be a firm base and they help to give you that.

I think we have flitted and farted around with the defence until we have finally got some CB's that are uncompromising as well as competent.( that is not a criticism of Dean ) but more successive managers...sadly both on loan.

I will be more confident of his success, when I hear his favourable references to the above position.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 05/03/2019 at 22:49, villalad21 said:

He better make it. We have a much better squad than Blues. Embarrassing if we don't beat them

" Better" is the interesting word here for me....It can mean a lot of things.

When a team finishes the league above you over 46 games its because they have been better.....not better at everything, and not better at the things you and me might be focusing on...but overall better.

They have been better at accumulating points, which is the holy grail.....You have to do many things to achieve that and pretty eye catching football is just one aspect of it, convincing football is the target, which entails more ....Some of the most eye catching teams in world football, recognise that having sound solid players in defensive positions is crucial to them to achieve trophies.....and yes those defenders can play, not just cloggers.

Wolves were the eye catchers last season.....but spare a thought for how well they defended and managed a game.( except against us of course).

40 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Just watched the smith blues press conf and I can't believe he's thinking about using JEdi as a centre half.

Brucio got destroyed for this.

Brucio left us with 1 Centre Back.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2019 at 08:19, hippo said:

Smith is just another manager/head coach - If he doesn't get results he gets sacked - as did those before him and as will those that follow. 

We don't actually chop and change manager much more than any other club - Can you suggest a villa manager who has been sacked too early in recent times ? 

Leeds and Watford have gotten through a quota managers in recent times - doesn't seem to have derailed there long term plans much - personally I think the turnover of managers is dependent on the quality of the guy you appoint - appoint poor managers and you will get through them more quickly.

In the entirety of the premier league era aston villa are in the top 3 for managerial changes, and we haven't even been there for the last 3 seasons 

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

In the entirety of the premier league era aston villa are in the top 3 for managerial changes, and we haven't even been there for the last 3 seasons 

We were there a long time though.

Lerner era didn't help this though. He went through about 6 alone in his 11 year tenure?

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Well from 2016 chart, 6 teams have had more managers than us in Premier League history with West Ham, Fulham, West Brom and Leicester joined level with us since then

14 hours ago, TRO said:

I hear the comments of Dean Smith in regards to Conor Hourihane.....where he praises his work and says he is not fully appreciated by the fans....I also have a notion that Dean likes these kind of players ( nothing wrong with that) hence his signing of Tom Carroll.

However it concerns me a bit ( maybe unnecessarily) that he never seems to have the same leaning towards a DM.....Who IMO is central to a team being resilient and combative.

It matters not that the DM is my favourite position, its the engine room where most things derive from....I would suspect that Dean would rarely wax lyrical of the Busquets or Fernandino's or the Michael Carricks in a team, not to mention the Viera's and Keanes.

I guess  we all have our fetish's in what positions we favour.....but in order to win things, there must be a firm base and they help to give you that.

I think we have flitted and farted around with the defence until we have finally got some CB's that are uncompromising as well as competent.( that is not a criticism of Dean ) but more successive managers...sadly both on loan.

I will be more confident of his success, when I hear his favourable references to the above position.

You Makelele some good points about my favourite position

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Just watched the smith blues press conf and I can't believe he's thinking about using JEdi as a centre half.

Bruce had a summer transfer window and decided this was the way forward, sending elphick on loan. 

Smith is responding to 3 central defenders being out injured. 

Do try and keep up

• Like 2

19 hours ago, screwdriver said:

He wont play Jedi at centre back. He is getting his excuses in early and making sure everyone knows we are short at cb's.

Â