Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We’ve rarely drawn games under Smith in any season, we win or lose, I can’t see that changing.

There were a couple of 1-0 wins that showed we had the right beginnings (Southampton and Leicester away last year) 

But at the minute if we concede one, we concede three...and that will see him gone if we keep that up for much longer. 

For what it's worth, I think West Ham are a bad match up for us with pace/power/height so we could be taking another three here as well.

13 minutes ago, May-Z said:

There were a couple of 1-0 wins that showed we had the right beginnings (Southampton and Leicester away last year) 

But at the minute if we concede one, we concede three...and that will see him gone if we keep that up for much longer. 

For what it's worth, I think West Ham are a bad match up for us with pace/power/height so we could be taking another three here as well.

West Ham/Moyes and our set piece defending is a horrible combination. I want him to succeed I really do but I no longer think he will.

Don’t want this to be all doom and gloom because I like Dean and really want him to succeed, I really do. However, lose tomorrow and again next Friday evening, then I don’t think anyone can say that his job wouldn’t be at risk.

Last season we beat some of the best by playing with no fear, even with Barkley early on. This season we seem cautious. Are we now conceding more goals following Jack’s departure because our ball retention skills are weaker? Possibly.

Has Dean lost some of his mojo with Jack gone, several coaches gone? Again, possibly.

Perhaps starting tomorrow, Dean needs to be brave, go 433 like last season and if necessary outscore what’s in front of us? 

• Like 1

Other team's results today have increased our focus on tomorrow's game at VP. I've said before that it's not a game that I expect to win, so to judge Dean on the result would be unfair.

However, it's important to me that DS shows that he knows what our current problems are. His team selection and system will be an indication of whether he has a revised plan to get the best out of our better players.

More of the same, even if it produces a different result would be concerning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Other team's results today have increased our focus on tomorrow's game at VP. I've said before that it's not a game that I expect to win, so to judge Dean on the result would be unfair.

However, it's important to me that DS shows that he knows what our current problems are. His team selection and system will be an indication of whether he has a revised plan to get the best out of our better players.

More of the same, even if it produces a different result would be concerning.

Dean won’t be judged on tomorrow. He will be judged on a much longer period. It does feel like tomorrow is important but only because of our poor form in 2021. I think he is at a junction now. Turn it around and show greater consistency moving forward or he will be gone. Whatever happens the decision will be based upon a general overview of his performance on the whole. Villa don’t do knee jerk!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

I shudder to think how the pitchforks will come out for Dean tomorrow if we don't get a result.

I think the boo boys will be out if we don't get a result. Looking over our shoulder. Bottom 3 is close! I think 7 points is the minimum Smith needs from our next 4 games as we have a pretty brutal run of games after these, we have City and Lecister at VP and I don't see us getting much there. Followed by Plop and Norwich ( which I fully expect Villa to do what they do best a gift a struggling team 3points) 

There is a very real chance we could be in and around the bottom 3. 

Some of the blame had to be put on Smith, yes the players are playing crap but is it not the mangers job to get the best out of the players? 

I want to see Smith succeed, but if he can't get this bunch of players to perform then he needs to go. So let's see how he fares over the next 4 games, if we lose them then yeah he has to go, but 7 points will save him. 

Edited by calcifer
Eating and writing :-)
  • Like 1

West ham will be very difficult match up for us.

We completely outplayed them down there and still lost as we couldn't defend two set pieces IIRC and that will remain an issue tomorrow. Then Lingard totally did us on his debut at VP.

Draw at best I suspect.

I wouldn't fancy being DS if we then go and lose at Southampton with a two week break. Table would really start to look difficult to justify him keeping his job tbh. We've be averaging a point a game and that only tends to get you a point or two clear of bottom 3 and 16th place so that's well below the majority of expectations in August.

Edited by VillaChris

15 hours ago, Big Salad said:

I shudder to think how the pitchforks will come out for Dean tomorrow if we don't get a result.

i would hope that there are some that would look at the manner of any lack of result. west ham are a very good side and even with our best 11 out will cause us problems

but he sets up as 3-5-2 again, with bailey on the bench, then it's going to get ugly if we don't win

Might not be the worst thing if Smith does get the bullet this season. If the owner do really want to progress then it will require significant investment and a big name, high quality coach. If they sack smith and appoint Gerrard or Terry then we can safely assume there won't be any big spending assault on the top 4. Instead it will be more of the same mid table stuff.

Â