Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I'm not saying they don't have stats. I have made reference to distance covered HR etc.

Wot I am saying those stats aren't precise enough to say player X needs to come off.

For example if a player is having a blinder. But the stats show he has covered more distance than normal - would you sub him on stats alone.

Nobody said he subbed him off on stats alone. There were just suggestions he may have used them and advice of the medical team when making his decision. Either way we’ll never know and ultimately it’s results that will matter. So whether it was medical advice or 100% smiths call we eventually lost the game. So as the manager Smith is accountable regardless. 

• Like 1

Open to being told otherwise on this but wasn't Luiz a massive outlier from that Brazil squad in the sense he actually played that weekend and it was seen as a surprise? Off the top of my head I can remember none of Ederson, Alisson, Fred, Fabinho, Raphinha etc were even in their respective match day squads, much less played any minutes. Maybe somebody should have told all of their clubs it would've been sound.😂

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Open to being told otherwise on this but wasn't Luiz a massive outlier from that Brazil squad in the sense he actually played that weekend and it was seen as a surprise? Off the top of my head I can remember none of Ederson, Alisson, Fred, Fabinho, Raphinha etc weren't even in their respective match day squads, much less played any minutes. Maybe somebody should have told all of their clubs it would've been sound.😂

He was, the fact that 2 goalkeepers weren't fully fit to start as well

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nobody said he subbed him off on stats alone. There were just suggestions he may have used them and advice of the medical team when making his decision. Either way we’ll never know and ultimately it’s results that will matter. So whether it was medical advice or 100% smiths call we eventually lost the game. So as the manager Smith is accountable regardless. 

👍 That was the point I was making (obviously not very well !!!) 

• Like 1

The site guidelines say

Please stay on topic

Enough now, please Villans. The odd diversion is fine, but pages of arguments about particular games, substitutions, other clubs, views on other poster's "agendas" and so on either have threads of their own or you can start new ones, or have no place on VT at all.

• Like 3

The table really doesn’t look good this evening but it is a reflection of how we’ve played this season, largely poor with a couple of exceptions.

Tomorrow feels like a crucial game for our season, if we lose I think people are kidding themselves if they think Smith isn’t going to come under pressure.

• Like 4

I’ve been supporting Smith because I think of him as a culture builder.. tomorrow’s match will tell us so much in terms of how far we’ve come.
I expect to see a fully committed coherent team. Will it be enough to win? Personally I think it will be.. ( I have had a couple beers though..)

Anyone saying Smith is not under pressure is having a laugh. If we lose the next 2 it'll only take Leeds and Burnley to get another win and we will be drowning in the bottom 4. 

Beginning to think he'll be gone if we don't get back to winning ways in the next couple of games.

• Like 1

It is looking a very very dicey situation for Dean. He will be under real pressure. The timing of the international break could could against him too. If we have a 2 week break and are on the back of 6 losses it could be the opportune time to make changes

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Anyone saying Smith is not under pressure is having a laugh. If we lose the next 2 it'll only take Leeds and Burnley to get another win and we will be drowning in the bottom 4. 

Beginning to think he'll be gone if we don't get back to winning ways in the next couple of games.

Smith is under immense pressure imo. The results today really didn't help him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

If he continues with the 5 at the back, he’ll be gone by January at this rate, needs to get Bailey in from the start, as we are sinking down the table after today’s results 

He will deserve to be gone by Jan if he continues with something that is clearly not working. I expect him to change it though. We will find out tomorrow afternoon

• Like 1

Table doesn't look great but I kind of expected this in the Summer.

New signings, injuries, no Grealish...I was expecting a disrupted start (including results and performances in that) before settling down and having a bit better form towards the end of the year...finishing around 10th. (But hoping for higher)

Seems to be going that way so far...just hope this slump doesn't morph into something a lot more difficult to shake off.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Leeds have Norwich tomorrow…

• Sad 1

I’m never been a massive Smith fan and wouldn’t be bothered either way if he stays or goes. He’s been here 3 years now and his record without Grealish is awful and I’m not even sure what our style of play is. We are a bit of a nothing team atm. If he does go I would like to see us go for Potter, he is a very good coach and would get more out of the squad we have imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

Table doesn't look great but I kind of expected this in the Summer.

New signings, injuries, no Grealish...I was expecting a disrupted start (including results and performances in that) before settling down and having a bit better form towards the end of the year...finishing around 10th. (But hoping for higher)

Seems to be going that way so far...just hope this slump doesn't morph into something a lot more difficult to shake off.

You expected us to be in this position in the table after 9 games? I find that somewhat hard to believe, if you did though were in a tiny minority.

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Leeds have Norwich tomorrow…

I keep saying to myself that Norwich must win a game at some stage and thinking that I will put a bet on them. Maybe tomorrow is the day to put a few quid on Norwich to beat Leeds and do us a little favour

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

I’m never been a massive Smith fan and wouldn’t be bothered either way if he stays or goes. He’s been here 3 years now and his record without Grealish is awful and I’m not even sure what our style of play is. We are a bit of a nothing team atm. If he does go I would like to see us go for Potter, he is a very good coach and would get more out of the squad we have imo.

I like Smith and I like having a Villa fan that is a nice guy as our manager but obviously Villa comes first and I have no issue with Dean (or any player) leaving. Change is always an opportunity to improve imo

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You expected us to be in this position in the table after 9 games? I find that somewhat hard to believe, if you did though were in a tiny minority.

I expected us to be hovering 10th or just below until our system of play with the new men had been worked on for a good period of time.

I didn't expect us to put a run together to be right at the top end like last year.

But equally, I would have put us a few more points ahead of what we've got. 

Similarly to last year, our problem is 'not losing'. We can't take a point when we have to tough it out.

That's what Smith has to work on the most IMO.

2 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I expected us to be hovering 10th or just below until our system of play with the new men had been worked on for a good period of time.

I didn't expect us to put a run together to be right at the top end like last year.

But equally, I would have put us a few more points ahead of what we've got. 

Similarly to last year, our problem is 'not losing'. We can't take a point when we have to tough it out.

That's what Smith has to work on the most IMO.

We’ve rarely drawn games under Smith in any season, we win or lose, I can’t see that changing.

• Like 1

Â