Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I really hope so. Like I like Deano a lot but I think NSWE are ruthless. If we're not at least solid top half (say 8th, 9th minimum) or mid table but don't win the league cup or something he'll be under a lot of pressure

But 8th and 9th would be an expected position though.

If you look at West Ham and Leicester I think they are way ahead of us in terms of a balanced squad. More importantly a balanced eleven.

They have the right combination of flair, grit and combativeness. While when I look at our team our midfielders in particular, they are all very samey. They love running forward but barely any of them loves the art of defending and getting stuck in. Nakamba being our only midfielder who enjoys that part of the game. Sanson is yet to be assessed but we've not seen enough of him.

I would love for us to be in a race for top 6 but to be honest with you I don't think we're quite ready yet. Not when I'm looking at that midfield.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 08:53, sparrow1988 said:

I think, as someone with the same complexion, the club should be doing more to protect him from that heat.

Strawberry blonde? 

55 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But 8th and 9th would be an expected position though.

If you look at West Ham and Leicester I think they are way ahead of us in terms of a balanced squad. More importantly a balanced eleven.

They have the right combination of flair, grit and combativeness. While when I look at our team our midfielders in particular, they are all very samey. They love running forward but barely any of them loves the art of defending and getting stuck in. Nakamba being our only midfielder who enjoys that part of the game. Sanson is yet to be assessed but we've not seen enough of him.

I would love for us to be in a race for top 6 but to be honest with you I don't think we're quite ready yet. Not when I'm looking at that midfield.

I endorse everything you say.

I want Dean to succeed, but I think he might struggle unless he addresses the midfield function, in a balanced manner.

• Like 1

What he can achieve is subjective, what is not subjective is the fact that he has delivered on every target.

Promotion - tick

Stay up - tick

Consolidate - tick

Anyone criticising needs to give their heads a wobble   

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I endorse everything you say.

I want Dean to succeed, but I think he might struggle unless he addresses the midfield function, in a balanced manner.

The midfield function is fine, it'll improve when the players improve. I hope we sign another midfielder.

England played Rice AND Phillips every game of the Euros and hardly dominated anyone. One match against Ukraine, the rest it was a free for all.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, av1 said:

What he can achieve is subjective, what is not subjective is the fact that he has delivered on every target.

Promotion - tick

Stay up - tick

Consolidate - tick

They'll be back every time we don't win a match.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The midfield function is fine, it'll improve when the players improve. I hope we sign another midfielder.

England played Rice AND Phillips every game of the Euros and hardly dominated anyone. One match against Ukraine, the rest it was a free for all.

You'd think being dominated by the not particularly defensive Italian midgets would make people realise having a bruiser isn't the be all and end all in the modern game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You'd think being dominated by the not particularly defensive Italian midgets would make people realise having a bruiser isn't the be all and end all in the modern game.

I don't think people want a 'bruiser', just a solid midfielder. We don't really have done I don't think.

I think Sanson will be great this season if he can get fit.

There's a chance for me that us playing 4231 with Luiz and Sanson in front of defence could be absolutely excellent. We have seen Luiz at the top of his game before and Sanson is a Champions League player who can do it all in midfield.

Due to injury and fitness, we probably wouldn't see that pair start with any form until at least November.

I would like a new midfielder myself.

• Like 1

Anytime we have a decent DCM people completely shit on them. Gueye Whelan and now in some respect Nakamba. Always the same ballpark reason not enough goals, assists, progressive passes. Then we don't use one much and everyone wants one again. Classic VT moaning. It's like players getting dropped becoming better in absence and deserving a go instead of scapegoat of the month

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think people want a 'bruiser', just a solid midfielder. We don't really have done I don't think.

I think Sanson will be great this season if he can get fit.

There's a chance for me that us playing 4231 with Luiz and Sanson in front of defence could be absolutely excellent. We have seen Luiz at the top of his game before and Sanson is a Champions League player who can do it all in midfield.

Due to injury and fitness, we probably wouldn't see that pair start with any form until at least November.

I would like a new midfielder myself.

I'd like one too. Particularly with the players missing.

I just find the constant DLP/DM discussion a bit tiresome as we already know what Smith's preference will be.

And if we play a double pivot 2 of our 'jack of all trades' midfielders will work fine, as you say.

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

When is his next press conf? Looking forward to learning the truth about the transfer rumours. Smith always gives it to us straight.

Like pear cider that’s made from 100% pears

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, av1 said:

Promotion - tick

Stay up - tick

Consolidate - tick

why do you answer something that hasn't been mentioned?.....who is criticising Deans overall job?

One aspect has been talked about and you quote his lifes work at Villa....odd.

12 hours ago, av1 said:

Promotion - tick

Stay up - tick

Consolidate - tick

That last line is ridiculous.

No manager is immune to criticism. 

Dean Smith like most managers will get some things right and some things wrong. When he get things right we praise, when he get things wrong we criticize, and rightfully so.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

The usage of "to" vs "too" though...

To the best of my knowledge JT wasn’t employed in any capacity for the use of grammatically correct English. It’s the kind of thing that my sometimes ocd mind picks up, but I recognise the irrelevance of it and the pointlessness of pointing it out. Not the kind of mistake that the eloquent English speaking   Bielsa would make eh?

There’s an abandoned rock somewhere that must be missing your company, surely it’s time that you crawled back under it. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Â