Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You'd think being dominated by the not particularly defensive Italian midgets would make people realise having a bruiser isn't the be all and end all in the modern game.

Yeah but this is England.

People cheer their DMs flying into a mssive tackle and kicking the ball into row Z as opposed to a DM who reads the game, intercepts a pass and keeps possession.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but this is England.

People cheer their DMs flying into a mssive tackle and kicking the ball into row Z as opposed to a DM who reads the game, intercepts a pass and keeps possession.

Yep, base the quality of a DM on their ability to tackle when like you say it should be all about positioning and interceptions and that's despite it being largely excepted that kante is one of the best midfielders in the world let alone the league 

And then no consideration as to what he offers when we have the ball, we're bot a Steve Bruce team, I truly believe that Smith wants us to have 60%+ possession therefore the most important attribute isn't something that the player offers when the opponent has the ball, he's thinking about us not them 

Take it outside of villa, outside of Smith and Luiz and think about what declan rice does for England, great at tackling, great at hustling and bustling, physical...when we play Andorra at Wembley and we have 65% possession resulting in him getting 50+ touches of the ball where does his skill set come in handy? How many of those touches will be good forward passes?

I think Smith wants a proper footballer in there, if we can find a poundland kante then we're laughing... But every team in the world must be of the same mindset 

• Like 4

Been thinking about what Dean makes of this Grealish saga. You can dress it up all you like, but his record without(!) Jack is abysmal. Of all the people worried by this transfer, I imagine he’s at the top of the list. 

Not trying to sound negative, but Dean has relied heavily on Jack over the last 3 years and if/when he leaves, he’s gonna have to figure out a way of playing without him otherwise he’ll be without a job by Xmas. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Been thinking about what Dean makes of this Grealish saga. You can dress it up all you like, but his record with Jack is abysmal. Of all the people worried by this transfer, I imagine he’s at the top of the list. 

Not trying to sound negative, but Dean has relied heavily on Jack over the last 3 years and if/when he leaves, he’s gonna have to figure out a way of playing without him otherwise he’ll be without a job by Xmas. 

I’m sure we can all ignore the simple and easy to make error which completely contradicts the overall point of the post and absolutely no one will draw attention to it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m sure we can all ignore the simple and easy to make error which completely contradicts the overall point of the post and absolutely no one will draw attention to it.

You’re going to have to give me a clue.

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Been thinking about what Dean makes of this Grealish saga. You can dress it up all you like, but his record with Jack is abysmal. Of all the people worried by this transfer, I imagine he’s at the top of the list. 

That's pretty negative to be fair, but also potentially true. We didn't create much without Jack last year, so let's hope Buendia turns up regularly. 

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

You’re going to have to give me a clue.

I'm guessing that Dean would have a squad built around Jack not being here IF we sold him, as opposed to a squad built around Jack being here but with the key player missing.

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Very true. I have had my doubts about Smith but he has developed a good team/squad. We have progressed season on season under him. I hope he takes some offence at the accusation that he has only achieved with Villa because of JG. I hope that makes him hungrier to succeed. 

Edited by Villa_Vids

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Eh?

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Been thinking about what Dean makes of this Grealish saga. You can dress it up all you like, but his record without(!) Jack is abysmal. Of all the people worried by this transfer, I imagine he’s at the top of the list. 

Had in the back of my mind for a while that if Jack was ever to go, it would be a good time to try to upgrade on Smith at the same time. It's obviously too late to be doing that now with the manager.

He's maximised Grealish no doubt, but we've never really settled when he isn't in the team. I think Jack's preposterous ability has a part to play because the team just got used to him being able to hold the ball on his own, create chances on his own, take up four defenders at a time on his own.

I am worried about us more than most if Jack goes. Fans back at VP, general feeling of negativity because the skipper has gone, a team that has looked very scared to play without him frequently... I fear it could go badly very quickly.

Edited by Tomaszk

Â