Dean Smith

Demitri_C

It’s just fantastic that we have done what Leicester did a few years ago (I appreciate we probably won’t be in the title race 😉) and taken the momentum from our great escape into our following season. We are halfway to safety already after 10 games, comfortably on course for a mid table finish, my hat is off to you Deano!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Beating Arsenal, Wolves, Liverpool and Leicester goes to show that trend has finally been reversed!

Record against last year's top 10 is currently played 5 won 5 with Burnley up next

Last season we won 2 of the 20 games vs top half

• Like 4

I don’t mind that Villa and Dean Smith are flying under the radar, I think it’s to our advantage and long may it continue. The on field performances are improving, the performances are getting more mature and slip up’s becoming far less frequent. I honestly believe (having seen how this season is panning out) that we could be 2 signings away from seriously challenging for top 4/5 this season. If we are able to add a splash of quality in January then it’s game on to remain around the top teams for the 2nd half of the season. 

Overall I think Smith is doing a great job and has done since he walked through the door 26 months ago. The most pleasing thing though is that he has clearly adapted from the gung ho style he/we had in the championship which he was naïve to think could work in the Premier League and didn't for the first two thirds of last season. 

The improvement since lockdown has been remarkable. Smith obviously used that enforced break to look at himself and was humble enough to adapt his philosophy on how he wants to play the result being we are way more solid at the back but always pose a threat going forward. On top of that we have a squad that to a man works their bollocks off and the whole club seems very united.

In 10 games this season we have the same amount of points that took us 19 games last season to achieve but I think our performances actually deserve more than that. We look like a Premier league team now and as shown on our day can give anyone a game. The only worry I have is that it is almost Christmas and we have only played 10 games so there is still a lot of games to play between now and May so strengthening the squad in January is going to be crucial if we are to maintain anything like the points per game we have now. If we do though I think a top 10 finish is achievable which would be great going and continue the remarkable progress Smith has overseen since he arrived.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, R.Bear said:

These smash and grab late winners more than make up for the shocking Brighton and West Ham results. A real roller coaster of a season so far, impossible to predict what result we'll get!

I was just thinking, when was the last time we did a smash and grab? I really can't remember,  generally we win when we deserve to or we lose, don't remember many times we've won in the last few minutes when we really didn't deserve it. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Unpopular opinion(!), but I actually don’t think we’ve been THAT good in some of the games we’ve won - or, to quantify, Sheff Utd, Leicester and Wolves - but, as I said previously, we have these battling qualities. Both Leicester and Wolves were tough games where I’d have taken a 0-0. However, we don’t settle for that, and it’s not done in a gung ho manner either. We counter attack effectively but maintaining a solid defensive shape. 2 good draws have been turned into 2 very good wins because of this. 

Leeds completely outplayed us and Wolves were the better side against us. Leicester and Brighton seemed pretty even to me. To get 6 points from those sort of games is exactly what we weren’t doing last season.

It’s been an excellent start to the season. Our aim should be simply to improve on last season, but we’re looking every bit like we could get a top half finish this time round. 

I actually disagree. Leicester was a hard game but like Joshua last night we took control after the initial tickling contest. Wolves we were better for large parts. Then the corrupt officials took control. Surprising that we got a peno. 

Sheffield United we totally dominated and Jack missed 3 easy chances to put a nice gloss on the result.

Leeds for the last 30 minutes spanked us and Southampton first 30 minutes dominated us.

Thing is we had 3 easy chances against Leeds and actually had enough chances against Southampton to win. 

10 wins from 10 wouldn't have flattered us.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Unpopular opinion(!), but I actually don’t think we’ve been THAT good in some of the games we’ve won - or, to quantify, Sheff Utd, Leicester and Wolves - but, as I said previously, we have these battling qualities. Both Leicester and Wolves were tough games where I’d have taken a 0-0. However, we don’t settle for that, and it’s not done in a gung ho manner either. We counter attack effectively but maintaining a solid defensive shape. 2 good draws have been turned into 2 very good wins because of this. 

Leeds completely outplayed us and Wolves were the better side against us. Leicester and Brighton seemed pretty even to me. To get 6 points from those sort of games is exactly what we weren’t doing last season.

It’s been an excellent start to the season. Our aim should be simply to improve on last season, but we’re looking every bit like we could get a top half finish this time round. 

I agree.

I'd add what others have said, look at the Brighton game, we chased and chased, even after going behind twice only to be robbed by VAR. The transformation under Smith is something to behold. We will take on any team in the league adn give them a game.

He's also got the temperament and drive to be a success. He's the ultimate dad figure for the players which is what many need - look at how much Ollie and Jack adore him. That's just the names which stick out.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I will actually disagree with TRO here.

We rode our luck this game. Emi MOTM says it all. But I'll take it.

So true here. I haven't read every post, but most fail to mention they have probably one of the best strikers in the premier league missing. Had he been playing, it's likely with all the shots they had, we would have lost the game. But lets all be positive aye, although I do think we need to improve, we won't do it without Barkley..

• Haha 1

This is basically the first time in 10 years we've not simply been surviving and scraping by in the Premier League. And even when we were challenging for the top 4 under O'Neill we didn't really dominate games the way we are now.

11 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Can’t totally agree TRO. I assume DCJonah is talking about JWP’s screamers in the Southampton game. We gave away free kicks in those areas today but they weren’t popped into the top corner. I don’t think there was too much difference in the actual defensive play around those moments - I think that’s his point.

I know exactly what he is saying.....and I endorse the quality of JWP's execution of those free kicks as one offs......However, my observations, were confined to the  giving away of the free kicks in the first place.....i thought they were poor clumsy attempts...too slow to react.

i thought we was more gritty and had more of an appetite to shut out ,yesterday.

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So true here. I haven't read every post, but most fail to mention they have probably one of the best strikers in the premier league missing. Had he been playing, it's likely with all the shots they had, we would have lost the game. But lets all be positive aye, although I do think we need to improve, we won't do it without Barkley..

We definitely lose if they have Jimenez yeah.

But Wolves is a very good team. I didn't really expect us to be as good as them this season.

Overall i thought we played okay but far from a complete performance. I'm sure Smith would say the same when analyzing the game.

Â