Dean Smith

Demitri_C

That was not the most technically gifted performance, we have come to expect from a Dean Smith team.....but a bloody leap forward in terms of roundedness.

Wolves didn't give us a "flea to breed off"in terms of space and freedom to play.

I didn't think we had that in us......so pleased to be proved wrong.

but that was some win......they battled for that and it was clear to see.

massively proud of them tonight.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hmmm - that's the dilimena for me. You can't fault his record - but we have some fine players now.

Martinez-Mings-grealish - would get in at a top prem side.

Mcginn,Luiz,Watkins, Konsa ,Barkley - all prem quality 

Given the players he has at his disposal, what acceptable this season ? - has to be top half for me.

Mings wouldn’t get into a top side. He’s an average Prem centre half for me (still really like him though). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Hmmm - that's the dilimena for me. You can't fault his record - but we have some fine players now.

Martinez-Mings-grealish - would get in at a top prem side.

Mcginn,Luiz,Watkins, Konsa ,Barkley - all prem quality 

Given the players he has at his disposal, what acceptable this season ? - has to be top half for me.

We have some fine players no doubt, and we have Jack, but our first eleven is still "a work in progress", and we have zero depth. 

I don't really care much about final league position just yet. I'm satisfied with continued progress, and the fact that we're (hopefully) no longer flirting with relegation, ever again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We played much better in a few of our losses. Big difference tonight was they didn't score any goal of the month contenders. 

they wasn't allowed to.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

they wasn't allowed to.

Can’t totally agree TRO. I assume DCJonah is talking about JWP’s screamers in the Southampton game. We gave away free kicks in those areas today but they weren’t popped into the top corner. I don’t think there was too much difference in the actual defensive play around those moments - I think that’s his point.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Disagreed with not bringing on Nakamba when the red card was obvious.

But can't really say much when we win.

I’ve seen this said a little bit on here and I couldn’t disagree more. Douglas Luiz was booked after 15 minutes and didn’t commit another foul all game until he decided to forearm smash an opponent in the face. I don’t see how anybody watching that game can say the red card was obviously coming.

If we’d brought Nakamba on and he’d cost us the points (not a wild stretch of imagination given he’s not previously proved himself to be good enough) you’d be on here saying Dean Smith’s subs lost us the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I’ve seen this said a little bit on here and I couldn’t disagree more. Douglas Luiz was booked after 15 minutes and didn’t commit another foul all game until he decided to forearm smash an opponent in the face. I don’t see how anybody watching that game can say the red card was obviously coming.

If we’d brought Nakamba on and he’d cost us the points (not a wild stretch of imagination given he’s not previously proved himself to be good enough) you’d be on here saying Dean Smith’s subs lost us the game

Mike Dean is why the red card was coming... 

To be fair he couldn't take off all of our booked players 

Agree about the 2nd part 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Mike Dean is why the red card was coming... 

To be fair he couldn't take off all of our booked players 

Agree about the 2nd part 

He didn’t look any more likely to get a booking than anybody else on the pitch. He didn’t commit a single foul between the time of his two yellow cards. To call a red card obvious when he’s got it for smashing a guy in the face for no reason is pushing it a bit.

He committed two fouls in almost 90 minutes. The fact that the second one was probably a straight red card isn’t on Dean Smith but on the player himself. If he’d done a foul or two after his first yellow then fair enough sub him off but at no point was he any more of a red card waiting to happen than Cash or Mcginn.

• Like 3

I agree, even though you knew we weren't finishing the game with 11 men there's no way of knowing who it was going to be and it was a daft foul out of nowhere 

McGinn was on a booking too, if he'd subbed Luiz off and mcginn was sent off instead the claim would be made on that being a bad decision by Smith instead

Like I said can't sub them all off, Dean had booked too many of them, it was obvious we were getting a red card after about 15 minutes, fortunately it had no impact on us (probably less of an impact than subbing Luiz off for Nakamba with 30 mins left...) 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Mings wouldn’t get into a top side. He’s an average Prem centre half for me (still really like him though). 

Out of the 8 players mentioned Mings would be first I'd drop if had to be 7. Certainly not better CB than Konsa for me. His long passing is good but so many times we get into trouble needlessly or concede there's a good chance he's a culprit

7 hours ago, TRO said:

they wasn't allowed to.

What game did you watch? 

They had 7 attempts on target. 

Someone in the match thread predicted this. That because Martinez made some saves and Silva hit the post, this game would be seen as some defensive masterclass compared to others. 

9 hours ago, TRO said:

That was not the most technically gifted performance, we have come to expect from a Dean Smith team.....but a bloody leap forward in terms of roundedness.

Wolves didn't give us a "flea to breed off"in terms of space and freedom to play.

I didn't think we had that in us......so pleased to be proved wrong.

but that was some win......they battled for that and it was clear to see.

massively proud of them tonight.

I thought we got a little lucky today that our keeper was motm  and some of their finishing was poor.  Had just one of those wolves chances hit the back of the net the opinions would be completely different even if the performance was the same. 

I actually thought we were better in terms of deserving to win the game against both Brighton and West Ham. 

Goes to show it’s all about the result. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was surprised by this stat. Could you imagine this a few years ago? We're much tougher mentally than we have been for a long time.

Was coming here to post something similar (without the stat!). 85+ mins into a game used to fill me with dread as it seemed almost inevitable that we’d concede - it’s pretty much the opposite now, we’re always looking for more. 

Down to 10 men away at Wolves who have been, IMO, the better side and we’re still committing players forward to look for a winner, which results in getting that penalty. Absolutely love the attitude we show. 

• Like 4

Â