Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Jiménez has scored three goals this season and Wolves as a team have only score eleven all season with him playing most of the games. He's a very good player, but I think it's far from guaranteed that we would have lost yesterday if he'd have played.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

What game did you watch? 

They had 7 attempts on target. 

Someone in the match thread predicted this. That because Martinez made some saves and Silva hit the post, this game would be seen as some defensive masterclass compared to others. 

The one that you watched, with a different interpretation.

thats what you have a goal keeper for, they are a part of the defence, not a seperate entity.

El Ghazi could have hit the post too, but he elected to score instead.

A clean sheet has to be given the credit, it deserves......Wolves failure to score, is not our concern, anymore than it the concern of our opponents when we fail to score.

I saw a grittiness and a willingness to mix it in a scrappy derby.....that for me showed an additional dimension, to add to the already technical stuff.

but each to their own.

it was a well fought win imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We definitely lose if they have Jimenez yeah.

But Wolves is a very good team. I didn't really expect us to be as good as them this season.

Overall i thought we played okay but far from a complete performance. I'm sure Smith would say the same when analyzing the game.

Or had we not been robbed of 3 blatantly obvious penalties we would have sewn the game up by half time. Had their players been booked for their blatantly obvious fouls that were yellow cards they might have had 2 men sent off instead of the token gesture in stoppage time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought we got a little lucky today that our keeper was motm  and some of their finishing was poor.  Had just one of those wolves chances hit the back of the net the opinions would be completely different even if the performance was the same. 

I actually thought we were better in terms of deserving to win the game against both Brighton and West Ham. 

Goes to show it’s all about the result. 

I make no bones, I am a results first ,man.....yes, I make no apologies.

but what you say is " if my auntie had balls, she would be my Uncle"

Wolves wanted to score.....and without our involvement, they would have....credit has to be given for a gutsy and spirited display, despite the game missing the finer arts.....its not our job, to busy ourselves as to why Wolves never scored....we could have had 2 penalties, if we come from Manchester.

The game is about awarding 3 points for a reason.....you don't get anything for artistic display......we would have lost that game last season.

The fact that you thought, we played better in the 2 games you mentioned, is your call, but extrapolated out, it would result in relegation.

I can't tell other folk, how to evaluate a game.....but winning comes first for me and i was delighted with the mentality.....still probing in extra time, despite many of us, inc me....being happy with a point.

contrary, to your view, i saw stupid defensive errors in the Brighton and West Ham games, that would feature highly in my appraisal......I didn't see such glaring errors yesterday.....hence my view.

UTV

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I make no bones, I am a results first ,man.....yes, I make no apologies.

but what you say is " if my auntie had balls, she would be my Uncle"

Wolves wanted to score.....and without our involvement, they would have....credit has to be given for a gutsy and spirited display, despite the game missing the finer arts.....its not our job, to busy ourselves as to why Wolves never scored....we could have had 2 penalties, if we come from Manchester.

The game is about awarding 3 points for a reason.....you don't get anything for artistic display......we would have lost that game last season.

The fact that you thought, we played better in the 2 games you mentioned, is your call, but extrapolated out, it would result in relegation.

I can't tell other folk, how to evaluate a game.....but winning comes first for me and i was delighted with the mentality.....still probing in extra time, despite many of us, inc me....being happy with a point.

contrary, to your view, i saw stupid defensive errors in the Brighton and West Ham games, that would feature highly in my appraisal......I didn't see such glaring errors yesterday.....hence my view.

UTV

We didn't do any glaring defensive mistakes but there were a fair amount of luck in winning that.

Wolves could have easily be more clinical with their chances on another day.

I thought we played okay overall but far from a dominant performance.

55 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

So true here. I haven't read every post, but most fail to mention they have probably one of the best strikers in the premier league missing. Had he been playing, it's likely with all the shots they had, we would have lost the game. But lets all be positive aye, although I do think we need to improve, we won't do it without Barkley..

Someone is after @villalad21's title this season. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We definitely lose if they have Jimenez yeah.

But Wolves is a very good team. I didn't really expect us to be as good as them this season.

Overall i thought we played okay but far from a complete performance. I'm sure Smith would say the same when analyzing the game.

I don't think you can say that, he was a big miss for them granted, but so was Barkley for us.

This is just trying to down grade us and upgrade them.

I didn't think we would win.....but we did and if anyone wants to search for it, there is a reason.....Wolves inability to score, is not our concern.

We have played ok and lost this season.....it can't be heads you lose, tails you lose.

When we win, we need to adopt a bit better appreciation of the art of securing clean sheets......Luck is a cop out.....every game teams play ,rely on an element of luck, like some, to refer it is being selective attemp at down grading the performance.

Teams don't always let us play champagne football.....we should be grateful for looking for the elements, that provided this win.....it sure wasn't the ref.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't think you can say that, he was a big miss for them granted, but so was Barkley for us.

This is just trying to down grade us and upgrade them.

I didn't think we would win.....but we did and if anyone wants to search for it, there is a reason.....Wolves inability to score, is not our concern.

We have played ok and lost this season.....it can't be heads you lose, tails you lose.

When we win, we need to adopt a bit better appreciation of the art of securing clean sheets......Luck is a cop out.....every game teams play ,rely on an element of luck, like some, to refer it is being selective attemp at down grading the performance.

Teams don't always let us play champagne football.....we should be grateful for looking for the elements, that provided this win.....it sure wasn't the ref.

Key thing is with 10 men and minutes to go we pushed on for a winner - most teams wouldn't have done that.

Martinez gets the plaudits - but it was a stellar performance from Konsa as well. 

We won the game through a quality defensive and goalkeeping performance. You need that in the prem when points are won and lost on very fine margins.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We didn't do any glaring defensive mistakes but there were a fair amount of luck in winning that.

Wolves could have easily be more clinical with their chances on another day.

I thought we played okay overall but far from a dominant performance.

I have seen us do things on another too.....Liverpool and Arsenal fans could help me out here.

We wasn't a dominant force on the day......we was a gritty, "never say die" who looked like, they didn't want to lose again....thats what i saw.....it was a local Derby, i have seen scrappy games like this against Blues.

we was challenged every time we got the ball.....i have seen us wilt, in such circumstances.....we didn't, we battled back, stayed in the game and IMV got our just rewards...on the back of some dubious penalty calls in our favour, that was dismissed.

I was heartened by the will to win.....not necessarily the football.

you can't aways win playing text book football.....its nice to win ugly, now and again.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Key thing is with 10 men and minutes to go we pushed on for a winner - most teams wouldn't have done that.

Martinez gets the plaudits - but it was a stellar performance from Konsa as well. 

We won the game through a quality defensive and goalkeeping performance. You need that in the prem when points are won and lost on very fine margins.

Bang on.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just a realist mate, I don't wear the claret and blue glasses like some, we still have glaring faults, losses against Brighton and Leeds after smashing Liverpool prove it. We are extremely inconsistent under Smith and so tactically naive sometimes it's untrue. But I guess if you have a manager that is still learning the ropes this is how it's going to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But you seem to think this wasn't there in other games. 

We had the same will to win against Southampton, Brighton and West Ham. 

I didn't see it to the same degree against Southampton, perhaps you did.

but we cut out the errors too....which shows concentration and determination.

look, we just don't see the same game, mate,  so whats the point of exchanging views.

I am not going to change, and neither are you.

I see good elements in a game when we win....its about winning for me....sure i like attractive football, but sometimes teams let you play.....Wolves didn't let us play and I saw merit in the way we imposed ourselves to get that win....we ground it out.

Bravo Villa.

44 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Write something worthwhile.....cheap shot.

you usually resort to that, when folk see things different to you.

you can actually do better than that, when you put your ( balanced)mind to it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I didn't see it to the same degree against Southampton, perhaps you did.

but we cut out the errors too....which shows concentration and determination.

look, we just don't see the same game, mate,  so whats the point of exchanging views.

I am not going to change, and neither are you.

I see good elements in a game when we win....its about winning for me....sure i like attractive football, but sometimes teams let you play.....Wolves didn't let us play and I saw merit in the way we imposed ourselves to get that win....we ground it out.

Bravo Villa.

Absolutely its about winning. 

But it was clear from our previous performances that we are on the right track, despite losing. We did make errors but every error was punished, that was never going to be the case for every game. We made errors yesterday but weren't punished for them. 

As Dean said, we've played 10 games and deserved points in 9 of them. Its been an excellent start to the season

• Like 1

Â